Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jotjackson
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 1:02 pm

Today at the Sheriffs Office we were issued "to wear on our gun belt" a tourniquet. The training officer began the training by informing us the "new equipment" could possibly save our lives in the event of a gunshot/knife wound to the extremities. It could be self applied if necessary. I retired at 25 years from Public-Safety in an Administrative/Director position. I have been working the last 4 years as a campus officer along with filling in with duties as assigned. It's just something that's in my blood and I enjoy it. 

My wife has been in nursing for 41 years and supports any decision I make. I understand the ramifications of putting on the uniform but we started out using, gun, flashlight, handcuffs,radio etc. Now add to that baton, pepper spray, taser, back up gun, extra ammo, bullet proff vest and now a tourniquet.

Maybe it is time to come home and stay here, hunt and fish my off time. Maybe I am over thinking today's training session but the shooting of a LEO is becoming a everyday event.

Just thinking out loud today guys.

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 1:11 pm

Might be time to smell the roses a bit! Old Man Time slips up on you before most know it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 3:09 pm

Can you teach?....do you like to teach? How bout teaching gun safety or hunter's Ed to youngster's?....I've met a lot of former cops that do! Shooter

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 3:28 pm

I hear ya Jerry...I just retired 2 weeks ago after 22 years as a Trooper with the CT State Police.  I've seen a lot of changes, some good some bad.  It was just my time to go.  I won't be retired long though, I've got a few irons in the fire, not LE but in the training realm.  Too young anyway, I'm only 44.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jotjackson
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 4:29 pm

Hey Lighthorseman, Pam and I have been Alabama Hunter Education instructors for 25 years! Spent 15 as a Boy Scout archery merit badge counselor. Taught map and compass courses ( when I quit we were using GPS units) for Civil Air Patrol cadets. I also taught and conducted several Backpacking classes on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My life has been full and I have been blessed. Just maybe time to slow down a little. I have spent the last two hours in our reloading room making up some .45 Colts to shoot out of my Blackhawk tomorrow. Only Pam's Christmas baking brought me out of the Rod/Gun room. 

I hear you MattRaymond, things are way different than they were when I started in Public-Safety back in the 80's. I met some people that have remained life long friends. I just can't seem to let it go...........

RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 4:54 pm

The current atmosphere concerning police scares the crap out of me. My son is an L.E.O. (law enforcement officer)....heck, he is a cop. He sees a street person every shift holding a sign saying F... the Cops and screaming something similar. He and the others on his shift get excess force complaints about 3 to 5 times a week. Last night, with a temperature of near zero, he had to physically take down a teenage gang banger. He and another cop he works with had to carry the homie gang banger into the police car as the kid screamed and struggled and threatened to sue. This other police officer is a former Oklahoma defensive lineman. My son is a North American Submission Grappling champion in his weight class. If they are forced to take you down, you stay down.

And shift after shift they have to deal with the slime of the earth. Two nights ago he had to work a case with a 23 year old drunk, druggie woman who left her baby in the car in a Target parking lot all night during our coldest night of the year. The baby had frostbite and hypothermia when found in the morning.

Combine that with the fact that my grandfather was killed on duty as a police officer when I was a kid, and my wife and I have reason for concern. Our son calls us every morning he comes off shift just to say he is OK. He was a fire fighter and I really wish he remained in that profession. But, it is his choice of career.
Ron

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 4:59 pm

@Jotjackson wrote:
Hey Lighthorseman, Pam and I have been Alabama Hunter Education instructors for 25 years! Spent 15 as a Boy Scout archery merit badge counselor. Taught map and compass courses ( when I quit we were using GPS units) for Civil Air Patrol cadets. I also taught and conducted several Backpacking classes on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My life has been full and I have been blessed. Just maybe time to slow down a little. I have spent the last two hours in our reloading room making up some .45 Colts to shoot out of my Blackhawk tomorrow. Only Pam's Christmas baking brought me out of the Rod/Gun room. 

I hear you MattRaymond, things are way different than they were when I started in Public-Safety back in the 80's. I met some people that have remained life long friends. I just can't seem to let it go...........

Doesn't sound like retirement to me! Looks like you got lots to fall back on.
t up

Ron........we've got lots of work to do to turn culture around so that cops and authority are once again respected!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14951
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 6:46 pm

Time to be a full time mountain man Jerry!

My nephew wants to join the local police force and I told him, this is the worse time you could pick to become a cop. Even my brother in law said his stomach just dropped when he told him, hes even a cop too.

I told him, you can either stay at the prison and baby sit, or you can go out on the street as a cop and deal with crooks with weapons, abuse, killings and of course, the meth heads that run loose all over that town.

Less than a week ago there was a shooting right at the end of his street corner where a chick shot her boy friend in the forehead. I told me he won't want to deal with that shit.

Jotjackson
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 7:03 pm

Full time mountain man.......hmmm, I sorta like the sound of that, I might even learn to cast some round balls for my smoke poles. Thanks Jon, you just got me to thinking in a different direction!

FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14951
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 7:08 pm

Oh you gotta cast Jerry! Its actually a relaxing process. I don't enjoy doing it over a campfire as my knuckles normally get scorched from the heat, but a Lee pot does the job perfectly and quick.

Fishmagnet

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2015-08-23

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 7:58 pm

Jerry, I think I know how you felt having to go through that training. I've worked in public safety 20+ years in EMS. Not too long ago, the county I work for started looking into issuing us bullet proof vests. We had threats made towards our department along with our LEA. Made me do some sole searching. Just like you it's in my blood. It's been a great career and I can't see doing anything else. Only problem is if the attacks on public safty continue to increase I too will have to change. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 20th 2016, 8:19 pm

Vets and police officers dont get the respect they deserve. Thank politicians and scum of the earth lawyers for most of it. Too many criminals in jails that should be dust but we have lawyers with $ bill signs in there eyes and politicans like in this state that just want life in prison rather than taking the criminal to the mortuary. Lawyers have taken away the respect the LEO once had. Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5589
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 21st 2016, 6:40 am

Blue lives matter.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 21st 2016, 7:47 pm

Our current president is when the majority of the attitude change with regard to law enforcement took place. You need look no longer for the reason. I realize that there was always a small portion of the populace with an anti LEO attitude but it really snowballed in recent years, the last 8 or so.

My 2 cents worth.
Glenn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3403
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   December 24th 2016, 11:44 am

There are too many changes happening at one time right now in our world which breaks a major rule.  Might be time Jotjackson to think outside the box when it comes to what you now have and hope to have in retirement.  Wishing you the best in your decision.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May be time to retire again   

Back to top Go down

May be time to retire again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: