Share | 

Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scout_.54

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-12-20

PostSubject: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 20th 2016, 11:28 pm

I have a Thompson Center Scout .54 caliber muzzleloader that will not fire. The gun was handed down to me and was quite dirty and had some fouling when I received it. I cleaned the gun up well and loaded it with 90 grains of pyrodex and a Hornady sabot. I popped off two or three #11 magnum caps and got no result. I pulled the sabot and dumped the powder out and cleaned the gun thoroughly once again. I repeated this process twice more and even put the gun in the oven on a low heat setting to bake any moisture out of the gun to prevent from fouling the powder. I am assuming the nipple is plugged with crud and so I am not getting a charge to my powder. The gun did not come with a tool to remove the nipple/breech plug. I borrowed a nipple wrench manufactured for .54 caliber nipples from a friend and it does not fit into the uniquely shaped action of the Scout. How do I go about resolving this issue??? I would like to get this gun back into service.

I appreciate any advice you may have to offer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 21st 2016, 3:41 pm

In order to remove the breech plug/nipple from the Scout you must first remove the barrel from the frame. 

Disassembly instructions for the TC Scout:

http://www.bevfitchett.us/thompson-center-scout-rifle/assembly-disassembly-of-your-tc-scout-muzzleloader.html

You may need a new breech plug/nipple:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/667/1/PLUG-TC-SCOUT-11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scout_.54

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 21st 2016, 6:16 pm

I had broken the gun down completely. My issue is that the way the action is configured I cannot get the nipple wrench to fit onto the nipple.

I have purchased a new nipple/breech plug, the very same from track of the wolf website.

I can't install my new breech plug/nipple without first getting the old one off.

I made a small attempt at getting it off with a pliers but was afraid of damaging anything or marring the gun cosmetically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 21st 2016, 7:41 pm

The barrel should remove completely from the receiver. Remove the forend and under is an allen head screw into receiver,remove this screw and barrel should fall free. You may need a little persuasion if gun has been neglected.
      After barrel is removed a deep well socket(or a crescent wrench if not rusted) can be used on hex of breech plug.
       If badly stuck you may need a vice to hold barrel, then pour boiling hot water down barrel. The plug should come out then with a little force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 21st 2016, 7:47 pm

Also for future reference,before loading hold muzzle end up to light and look thru from rear. if you cant see thru do not bother loading,it will not fire. Disassemble and clean breech plug. Especially if the gun has been in storage for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scout_.54

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   December 23rd 2016, 4:50 pm

Thank you. I will give that a try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breech Plug Removal T/C Scout   

Back to top Go down