View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Wood Shrinkage?   December 22nd 2016, 2:30 pm

I pulled my Traditions Kentucky down off the wall today to dust it off and run a patch down the bore.

I was horrified to see a large gap between the brass spacer ( 2 piece stock) and also the butt plate! The butt plate now has a gap between the wood and plate that you can see light through. Also, the lock seems to be sticking out of the stock a ton.

I refinished the stock years ago and used basically linseed oil that has some extra driers in it. I believe its called Antique gun stock finish from TOW.

Im taking the lock out now for closer inspection, but it seems like I will have to buy a new stock at some point.

You think the Linseed oil based finish didn't protect it enough and now its shrinking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 22nd 2016, 4:27 pm

It's likely† the stock was not adequately dried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 22nd 2016, 4:46 pm

The only physical issue about the Colorado climate I'm aware of.......both of the guns I built in Colorado
I rubbed dozens of coats of linseed oil into the wood after staining and never have had any issue with shrinkage. No real shortcut that I know of.......but I'm unfamiliar with more modern finishes. As a side note. back in the day, some of the trade gun makers used to plug the barrels and dipped the whole gun "lock, stock and barrel" into a vat of shellac.......at least one of the former employees of GRRW told me such.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 22nd 2016, 7:41 pm

your stock is most likely made of beech wood. beech is very very tough and strong but shrinks more than most woods. the next time you finish a stock made out of beech do this. under the butt plate or any place where the wood is cut across the grain after you stain the wood, seal that area with super glue. bare wood is like a straw that moves moisture in and out of the wood. if you seal off the ends of the fibers(straws) their will be no moisture movement. again beech is very very bad for shrinkage. the best wood for not shrinkage is cherry. i dont mind using beech for a stock as it is very beautiful with the right stains but you have to know how to finish it or it will shrink. guitars made at sea level and next to the ocean and then shipped to denver can really cause problem unless one knows how to adjust the neck. same with guns. beech is used mostly instead of walnut on most cheaper gun. to me cherry or hard rock maple is the best choise for a stock. beech was used by canada for the stocks on their 303 rifles during WW 2. they got around the shrinkage problem by putting all stocks under a lot of pressure while submerged in linseed oil. this drove the oil to the center of the wood and from then on the wood would be stable. next time you will know what to do to prevent this from happening again. strong eagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 22nd 2016, 9:41 pm

I was SO worried about what this thread might be about after†
reading the title...†

Very Happy

Florida Muzzleloaders Association†
Central Florida Muzzleloaders†
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 24th 2016, 11:15 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
I was SO worried about what this thread might be about after†
reading the title...†

Very Happy
Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   December 24th 2016, 11:17 am

Wood type, grain orientation and moisture content will dominate final shrinkage shape.†† High-end $$ billiard cues and premium wooden arrow shafts are graded based on these factors. †Leave both an expensive maple cue and a cheap maple cue in your car truck on a hot summer day and see what happens.† The cheap cue will warp while the other will not.†† Like a wooden arrow the cheap cue can be straightened again with heat and controlled cooling, but it will warp again next time if left in a hot truck.

There are many reasons why you donít see expensive firearm hardware housed in low quality stock material, and stability is one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wood Shrinkage?   

Back to top Go down

Wood Shrinkage?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: