Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16312
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Empty
PostSubject: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyJanuary 30th 2017, 3:57 pm

GORGEOUS TODAY! Warmed up to 60* with a very slight breeze, sun beating down HOT to the point you got itchy. Felt great to get out shooting!

I wanted to practice some hunting situation shooting and being out of percussion caps ( Just got a couple tins today from the local store) I took out my Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock.

70gr Olde Eynsford, .020" patch lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & patch lube, .490" round balls and 1/2" x 5/8" French Amber flints. Man that load was great!

I used the bog pod that I got for Christmas and it works! I mainly use it as a camera tripod, but the shooting rest attachment works nice and is easy to change out. I could get used to using this for hog hunting or when I plan on deer hunting over water holes.

Shot 70 yards using the bog pod for the rifle and my right leg for arm support.

First 2 shots and then the rest for a total of 8 shots.
Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8619
Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8618

Now the cool stuff! I ended up pulling both balls out ( only 1 ball pictured ) you could see the patch material, where it had embedded into the soft lead. Remember, I load the super rough side of the patch towards the rifling because it does a better job cleaning the fouling while I reload.

Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8620

Look closely and you'll see the patch weave, pressed into the soft lead ball. That sucker really grips the ball! These are the Bridgers Best patches.
Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8622
Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8621

Just a simple pic of the bog pod. I like it, but I'll need to do a lot more shooting off it to decide if its worth carrying around in the mountains on a hunt.
Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod Img_8623

Last edited by FrontierGander on January 30th 2017, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyJanuary 30th 2017, 4:50 pm

Cool 

That's a great group off the sticks. I have the bipod and the tripod and those  sticks are great. I use the bipod in the ground blind.
I tip my hat to you sir. cowyboy hatoff 

Ray.................

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16312
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyJanuary 30th 2017, 6:54 pm

Ok, pics are up now!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyJanuary 31st 2017, 11:01 am

I have a couple of monopods to use in a ground blind but thought I needed something more stable for my granddaughter to use. I priced the various shooting tripods and was shocked by the price they wanted. In some cases they were almost $200. I got an old camera tripod that I paid $11 for and fitted it with a bent 1" wide piece of galvanized strapping bent in the shape of a "U" that I got at the local Ace Hardware. I covered it with some foam tape designed to seal toppers to truck beds and had a shooting tripod for about $18.

It works fine and I save at least $80. These "shooting tripods" are a total rip-off.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3763
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyFebruary 1st 2017, 6:37 am

That's mighty-fine shooting FG !   

Whether I carry one of my pods in the field depends on distance and the availability of natural rests. Hunting landscape where "longer" shots with no trees or other to rest aside/upon is when I will definitely tote one.

--------------------------------------------------------
p.s. That's amazing how that patch dented the ball.  What a Face
Back to top Go down
Jotjackson

Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptyFebruary 3rd 2017, 2:17 pm

I bought Pam one of these rest, she uses it for crossbow, pistol and muzzleloader hunting. Always has it with her.

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptySeptember 17th 2017, 9:01 pm

I just bought the 2 legged model bog pod cld-2, haven't used it yet. I used a primos bipod last season and it worked good but it isn't as sturdy as the bog pod. I like the leg adjustment latches on the bog pod too, I agree they are expensive though.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptySeptember 18th 2017, 2:14 pm

@patocazador wrote:
 These "shooting tripods" are a total rip-off.

I agree. I have also repurposed old camera tripods. 
Yes, it would be nice. I am just too stubborn to be skinned that hard 
for the minor improvement in equipment.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod   Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod EmptySeptember 19th 2017, 4:03 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Quote :
I am just too stubborn to be skinned that hard for the minor improvement in equipment.

nono   :Grace   headslap   ear bug

Back to top Go down

Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: