Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5417
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Ridiculous Modern History    February 22nd 2017, 10:41 am

It's no wonder we are in the shape we're in today!!

SCHOOL  --1960 vs. 2017 

Scenario  1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1960  -  Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2017 - School  goes into lock down, SWAT called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario  2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2017 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario  3:
Jeffrey  will not be still in class, he disrupts other  students.
1960 - Jeffrey sent to the  Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2017 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the Government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario  4:
Billy  breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a with his belt.
1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2017 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The Government psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario  5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1960 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2017 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1960 -  Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college. 
2017 - Pedro's cause is taken up by the Government rights section. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.
Scenario  7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red-ant hill..
1960  -  Ants die.
2017 -ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario  8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by  his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort  him.
1960  -  In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2017 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in  Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    February 25th 2017, 7:11 am

Yep, that sums it up very well.  

Lots of kids today are being Ritalinized for slight infractions of arbitrary "rules".   In many school systems  all it takes is the word of one teacher and Billy is put on Ritalin. 

After completing high school, Billy grows up with mental problems and runs afoul of the "justice system" for having a few grams of pot.  They  Thorazine Billy's  @ss, declare him a  "behavorial" problem, put him in prison with violent offenders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 10th 2017, 12:13 pm

Modern mothers are raising.....'wussies'!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 10th 2017, 1:02 pm

They are not really raising them they are creating them !

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 10th 2017, 7:04 pm

Boy mark1945 you are so right. They need to cut back on the creating and pickup on the raising. just mho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 11th 2017, 10:18 am

I have a different take on the youth of today, a view that is biased due to my career and to the people my wife and I associated with when our son was growing up.

I just don't see the change in the number of "wussies" at the engineering university I worked at for 30 years. Our acceptance standards are more strict than Harvard's, so these kids are bright and studious. Yet, I have coached them on the ice hockey club team, was the originator, faculty advisor and coach of the boxing team, and faculty advisor for the shooting team (until the university's legal staff became overly concerned with liability issues). I met with the wrestling team's recruits and their parents every year. There were no wussies among them.

Are there computer game and smart phone addicted softies at the school? Sure. And there were people like that (with nerdy interests of that period) when I was in school in the 1960s.

My own son played ice hockey from the age of 6, up through college. The young people he played with and traveled with all the way through high school could never be classified as weaklings.

In our county's school system, the second largest in the state, and in the largest school system, no teacher can have a student put on Ritalin or any other medication. No teacher has that authority. They could suggest that parents should consider having their kid evaluated by a qualified physician, but their opinion carries no weight. In fact, in dealing with thousands of students over the 30 years, I have never met one who had a teacher push them onto any medication. I have met many who were on Ritalin and its derivatives, but every one was evaluated by a medical professional and prescribed by a physician. Every one.

As for style of modern upbringing, here is a photo of a young man who never was spanked in his life. Not once. Keeping in mind that he was brought up without every having a hand laid on him in anger or punishment, this photo was taken on the way home from an MMA (mixed martial arts) competition.

This is a shot of this polite, gentle young man when he won his class in the North American Submission Grappling Tournament.

Here is a result of his MMA activities. Off the mat, he is a mellow as can be.

Like I said, my view is biased by the people I know and associate with. Perhaps others have had experiences and associations counter to mine.
Ron

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 11th 2017, 10:24 am

I would say that your experience is the exception....rather than the everyday norm!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 11th 2017, 2:24 pm

Extreme exception !

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 12th 2017, 7:14 pm

There is always exceptions. And I for one are grateful for those exceptions. Perhaps those exceptions are the checks and balances in society.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 13th 2017, 8:44 am

The problem is twofold, poor parenting and school systems that never heard of common sense. Solve these problems and you've come a long way.

Ron's school system may be an exception but new math and eliminating cursive handwriting are two things that make no sense.
I have a BS degree in Chemistry and Biology and a post-graduate degree in the science field and I can't do my granddaughter's 4th grade math the way that the teacher wants it done.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 27th 2017, 3:28 pm

We carried our rifles on the school bus....so we could go deer hunting after school!!

Society has installed IDIOTS as school administrators!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 27th 2017, 6:18 pm

My experience is closer to RonC's... 

Experience makes me believe more positively in our young people than I do 
our older 'leaders.' Us included.

It is interesting how willing we are to reject RonC's direct positive experience with large 
numbers of young people because it may fly in the face of comfortable media created beliefs when many of us claim to 'distrust' the media.

Even when accompanied by positive visual evidence, we cannot convince some to change their minds. It discouraged me from doing the same as RonC as the response would be predictable; 
"Your example is limited and must be an exception and will not be allowed to impact my beliefs. Young people stink." (Chuckle) 

And, we wonder why we have such a tough time recruiting to our past-time...

To complicate things, I went to find a picture of our young people from our club winning national matches. Apparently, these images are deemed unsafe to share these days- which complicates my message with another concern.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 5:46 pm

Quote :
RonC is right.   There's lots of regular school kids out  there. 

i went to college at age 45 in 1984.  Was in and out of several schools,  including after work classes at Rutgers.  Was also in and out of jobs in the middle east.   Got my BBA in 1988(GPA 3.41)  MBA in 1997 (GPA 3.75).   Have lots of hours toward a PHD that will never be completed  because i lost interest. 

The young folks i attended college with were much like the ones in high school in the 1950s.   None were "wussies".   None of the college students i know today are "wussies". 

Yep, i carried a shotgun on the school bus and hunted on the way home.  That came to an end with decisions of county and state administrators and school boards, not teachers.  It's a liability thing; lawsuits and all that.  

It's fashionable for people on these boards to  whine and make accusations about college and college professors.   Those who complain the loudest  have never been to college and it really does piss me off.  i have  friends who are professors.   Most professors are regular folks too; i know a couple eccentric professors but they are good teachers. 

About ten years ago i met a young man while hog hunting.   He came from a family of modest means.  Guess how he got through college?  By trapping and  selling wild hogs.   He sold enough hogs in about 18 months to pay for his college room and board for three years.  He graduated from college and entered the US Army.   He is a Capt. in Special Forces.     
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 6:29 pm

Noone HERE has broad-clothed all of these young folks the same way.....or as 'wussies'! There are millions of exceptions! BUT......the 'wussies' coming up are making up a very large percentage of those that are causing political and societal problems today and have learned how to work the system off the backs of the working men/women of America! And as far as education is concerned America has been governed by the intelligentsia class for the previous 200 years and IMO we're a far cry from where we should be today! There are two types of people in this world; those that get up in the morning and pull on their boots and go to work and who are responsible for their actions and families and those that lay their sorry butts in bed and mooch off the working men and women of this country! My 'sheepskin' says DD-FORM 214 presented to me by my Uncle! I don't have a college education....didn't want one! I knew what aviation could do for me along with the many fine farmers in my area that kept me in business for 40 years! And the only people I owe today other than the fine folks that gave me a chance to work for them are my Mom/Dad for giving me the breath of life!! May God Rest their souls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 7:19 pm

I don't know why you all are bringing up scenarios with college students. The original post had to do with grade school and high school situations and the idiotic actions were undertaken by the administrators not the students.

When men start marrying men, it's time to wake up about what shape our country is in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 7:29 pm

Quote :
My 'sheepskin' says DD-FORM 214 presented to me by my Uncle!

Yep, i have some of them too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 8:54 pm

The college kids are the immediate product and reflection of their primary and high school experiences combined with their parental upbringing. When they walk into the door as freshman, they are high school students and remain so for some time.

This is not to say that there aren't problems. The demands by administrators and legal staff and the demands on those same people are unlike any we have seen before. Some of the demands and rules are so onerous and ridiculous that all I can do is shake my head in disbelief. I offer the termination of the shooting club at our university as a grim example. Potential liability, evil firearms (even when stored empty in a safe), liability, students who enjoy shooting, liability and all the other specious arguments, including liability drove the legal eagles to distraction.

Who am I to critique the modern kids? I flunked out of college at the end of my second year, in 1967. My focus was on male/female social interactions, not academics. :twisted:Two years of government induced foreign travel put a different head on my shoulders before I went back to school in '69.

Ron ( whose BDU's must have shrunk in the closet over the years - cause they don't fit!)

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 28th 2017, 9:14 pm

Falcon, I did not know there was another Scarlet Knight here. I did some work 
on the New Brunswick campus a long time ago. A bit after you, though. I have 
bounced around quite a bit.

PS. Boy, that pic is a lot bigger than I needed!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 29th 2017, 1:28 pm

It's not so much how we view them...rather how they view themselves.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/4-charts-that-prove-that-todays-30-year-olds-are-not-adults-2016-06-30

Clair and I hope to change that 20 or so students at a time.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 29th 2017, 5:03 pm

Quote :
It's not so much how we view them...rather how they view themselves.

A big part of the change has to do with real wages.  Many simply cannot afford to get married, have kids and buy a home.  

Adjusted for inflation, US wages are just below the 1989 level.  Yep, over 25 years of wage growth were lost. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/average-wage-growth-in-the-us-2013-8

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sunday-review/americas-productivity-climbs-but-wages-stagnate.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 29th 2017, 11:08 pm

Well in the work that we do...we have a saying...."today's 30 year olds are yesterday's 18 year olds"....there are always exceptions, and part of our mission is to help grow them up sooner! Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 30th 2017, 6:35 pm

Quote :
Well in the work that we do...we have a saying...."today's 30 year olds are yesterday's 18 year olds"....there are always exceptions, and part of our mission is to help grow them up sooner!

Your are doing blessed work and are to be commended. 

Those of us who have commented here are older guys.  We tend to assume families today are much like they were  in our time.    Today many, many kids are born out of wedlock and are being raised by single mothers or grand mothers with little or no  interaction with their fathers.   In this situation girls fare better than boys.   A boy growing up without a father in the home is at great disadvantage.   They often join  gangs and its down hill from there. 

Yes, many of the 30 year olds today are a mess.  But just wait until the kids being born today reach 30. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103235/Most-children-U-S-born-wedlock.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 30th 2017, 9:13 pm

Thanks Falcon......just doing what's been put in front of us. This is a 45 year burden and always been about discipleship....but as culture has changed, the difficulty wrestling against culture's effects on Christian youth has become much more challenging. The reality is that we have become a culture of entitlement. As to history, my wife and I had a conversation with a 21 year old young woman, who genuinely believed that humans climbed out of caves "hundreds" of years ago....not thousands or ten's of thousands......and trust me when I say I am being generous to her real belief. She's convinced that evolution will solve all our problems within her lifetime. When I spoke of our nation's foundations she had a look of pure disbelief. As I said I can speak equally of exceptions to the rule, but education has for the most part let us down mostly because it is no longer driven on truth or facts but rather political correctness. But it's not just education, but culture has said discipling our children is abuse........and as I am writing this I just got off the phone with a friend who offered some teen boys a job cleaning out the chicken coop...and they said they wouldn't do it cause it was "too dirty". I chopped cotton as a youngster, branded and cut calves, butchered hogs....and cleaned out the hen house...did about every dirty job around the farm or in town a young fellow could do....never considered the work I did beneath me...certainly not too dirty.  Dunno

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    March 31st 2017, 10:38 am

Something big time related to this post IMO!!

Twenty years ago, in Nashville, Tennessee, during the first week of January,1996, more than 4,000 baseball coaches descended upon the Opryland Hotel for the 52nd annual ABCA's convention.
While I waited in line to register with the hotel staff, I heard other
more veteran coaches rumbling about the lineup of speakers scheduled
to present during the weekend.

One name, in particular, kept resurfacing, always with the same
sentiment — “John Scolinos is here?
Oh, man, worth every penny of my airfare.”
Who is John Scolinos, I wondered?  No matter; I was just happy to be there.

In 1996, Coach Scolinos was 78 years old and five years retired from a
college coaching career that began in 1948.

He shuffled to the stage to an impressive standing ovation,
wearing dark polyester pants, a light blue shirt,
and a string around his neck from which home plate hung —
a full-sized, stark-white home plate.

Seriously, I wondered, who is this guy?
After speaking for twenty-five minutes, not once mentioning the prop
hanging around his neck, Coach Scolinos appeared to notice the
snickering among some of the coaches.

Even those who knew Coach Scolinos had to wonder exactly where
he was going with this, or if he had simply forgotten about home plate
since he’d gotten on stage.  Then, finally …

“You’re probably all wondering why I’m wearing home plate around my
neck,” he said, his voice growing irascible.

I laughed along with the others, acknowledging the possibility.
“I may be old, but I’m not crazy.

The reason I stand before you today is to share with you baseball people
what I’ve learned in my life, what I’ve learned about home plate in my 78 years.”

Several hands went up when Scolinos asked how many Little League
coaches were in the room.
“Do you know how wide home plate is in Little League?”

After a pause, someone offered, “Seventeen inches?”, more of a
question than answer.

“That’s right,” he said.

“How about in Babe Ruth’s day?
Any Babe Ruth coaches in the house?”

Another long pause.

“Seventeen inches?” a guess from another reluctant coach.
“That’s right,” said Scolinos.

“Now, how many high school coaches do we have in the room?”
Hundreds of hands shot up, as the pattern began to appear.

“How wide is home plate in high school baseball?”
“Seventeen inches,” they said, sounding more confident.
“You’re right!” Scolinos barked.

“And you college coaches, how wide is home plate in college?”
“Seventeen inches!” we said, in unison.

“Any Minor League coaches here?
How wide is home plate in pro ball?”............“Seventeen inches!”
“RIGHT!

And in the Major Leagues, how wide home plate is
in the Major Leagues?
“Seventeen inches!”

“SEV-EN-TEEN INCHES!” he confirmed, his voice bellowing off the walls.
“And what do they do with a Big League pitcher who can’t throw the
ball over seventeen inches?

Pause.

“They send him to Pocatello !” he hollered, drawing raucous laughter.

“What they don’t do is this: they don’t say, ‘Ah, that’s okay, Jimmy.
If you can’t hit a seventeen-inch target?  We’ll make it eighteen inches or nineteen inches.
We’ll make it twenty inches so you have a better chance of hitting it.

If you can’t hit that, let us know so we can make it wider still,
say twenty-five inches.'”

Pause. “Coaches… what do we do when your best player shows up
late to practice?
or when our team rules forbid facial hair and a guy shows up unshaven?

What if he gets caught drinking?
Do we hold him accountable?

Or do we change the rules to fit him?
Do we widen home plate? "

The chuckles gradually faded as four thousand coaches grew quiet,
the fog lifting as the old coach’s message began to unfold.

He turned the plate toward himself and, using a Sharpie,
began to draw something.

When he turned it toward the crowd, point up, a house was revealed,
complete with a freshly drawn door and two windows.

“This is the problem in our homes today.
With our marriages, with the way we parent our kids.
With our discipline.
We don’t teach accountability to our kids, and there is no consequence
for failing to meet standards.

We just widen the plate!”

Pause.

Then, to the point at the top of the house he added a small American flag.

“This is the problem in our schools today.
The quality of our education is going downhill fast and teachers have been
stripped of the tools they need to be successful, and to educate and
discipline our young people.

We are allowing others to widen home plate!

Where is that getting us?”

Silence.

He replaced the flag with a Cross.

“And this is the problem in the Church, where powerful people in positions
of authority have taken advantage of young children,
only to have such an atrocity swept under the rug for years.

Our church leaders are widening home plate for themselves!
And we allow it.”

And the same is true with our government.

Our so called representatives make rules for us that don’t apply to themselves.
They take bribes from lobbyists and foreign countries.
They no longer serve us.

And we allow them to widen home plate!

We see our country falling into a dark abyss while we just watch.”

I was amazed.

At a baseball convention where I expected to learn something about curve balls
and bunting and how to run better practices, I had learned something far more valuable.
From an old man with home plate strung around his neck, I had learned
something about life, about myself, about my own weaknesses and about
my responsibilities as a leader.

I had to hold myself and others accountable to that which I knew to be right,
lest our families, our faith, and our society continue down an undesirable path.

“If I am lucky,” Coach Scolinos concluded, “you will remember one
thing from this old coach today.

It is this:
"If we fail to hold ourselves to a higher standard, a standard of what we know to be right;
if we fail to hold our spouses and our children to the same standards,
if we are unwilling or unable to provide a consequence when they do not meet the standard;
and if our schools & churches & our government fail to hold themselves accountable
to those they serve, there is but one thing to look forward to …”

With that, he held home plate in front of his chest, turned it around,
and revealed its dark black backside, “…
We have dark days ahead!.”

Note:
Coach Scolinos died in 2009 at the age of 91, but not before touching the lives
of hundreds of players and coaches, including mine.

Meeting him at my first ABCA convention kept me returning year after
year, looking for similar wisdom and inspiration from other coaches.
He is the best clinic speaker the ABCA has ever known because he was
so much more than a baseball coach.
His message was clear:
“Coaches, keep your players—no matter how good they are—your own children,
your churches, your government, and most of all, keep yourself at seventeen inches."

And this my friends is what our country has become and what is wrong
with it today, and now go out there and fix it!

"Don't widen the plate."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous Modern History    April 1st 2017, 3:25 pm

OUTSTANDING!!

-Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content