Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Powder horn glue

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2016-07-20

PostSubject: Powder horn glue   March 1st 2017, 7:39 pm

I'm looking for a recommendation for the glue to use in building a powder horn. I want to use it around the butt plug and also to attach a small brass tip on the spout end. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   March 21st 2017, 12:52 pm

Hide Glue works very nicely and is historically correct.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
stoney1
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 8:51 am

Howdy Coalforge
I'm new to this forum, but I'm OLD when it comes to powder horns Smile I started making them in 1973. Buck Conner is absolutely correct, hide glue is historically accurate for powder horns, not that he needs my endorsement. I've been using hide glue since my start. I used to build custom guitars and hide glue is THEE cement of choice for acoustic repair and building I've seen some documents stating that brick glue was also used in the mid 1800's. Not sure how brick glue is made, but I know it does contain brick dust? As for the brass spout. I'd consider using some very small brass or copper pins or tacks through the sides of the spout. Parts assembled with hide glue loosen up when the parts gets warm. Heat is used to "break" hide glue joints when parts need to be removed. On a good hot day your spout may fall off and get lost while trekking through the woods, hence the pin idea. I'm by NO means a historian or an authority, but I have learned a few things in 68 years. I still make powder horns, but these days I concentrate on making custom hunting knives and sheathes. Hope this helps?
Stoney
Pappy Dave's Knives
Pennsylvania
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 10:48 am

I've futzed around making my own horns for a long time too, but never even thought of selling one.  I need them really well sealed because I'm living with 90 inches of rain a year plus snow and high humidity.

All that's background for saying I don't like hide glue in our wet climate.  I've resorted to sealing with beeswax, which of course isn't a glue to hold things in place. Instead I use brass or copper pins or tacks.  Easy, quick, and can be removed to pull the horn apart if you ever feel the need (haven't yet).

Only advice I'll add, when installing pins or brads you aren't going to get away with just hammering them into place. I pre-drill the holes using a bit slightly smaller than the brad or pin, then gently tap them home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 11:06 am

Welcome to the forum stoney1!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. At one time there were at least a dozen guitars under my roof.  Most are gone, but I still have my spruce top, Indian Rosewood (back/side) acoustic which I can never part with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 11:52 am

@Marty wrote:

Second!

I enjoyed reading this guys. Thanks

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 1:14 pm

@stoney1 wrote:
  I'm new to this forum, but I'm OLD when it comes to powder horns Smile I started making them in 1973. Buck Conner is absolutely correct, hide glue is historically accurate for powder horns, not that he needs my endorsement.
  I've seen some documents stating that brick glue was also used in the mid 1800's.
  Parts assembled with hide glue loosen up when the parts gets warm. Heat is used to "break" hide glue joints when parts need to be removed. On a good hot day your spout may fall off and get lost while trekking.....
Stoney
Pappy Dave's Knives
Pennsylvania

Thank you but not needed on hide glue, have had my fingers coated with it more than I like to talk about.

Wonder where you find a brick when in the forest or on the trail???

Good suggestion for holding joints together Stoney.

What part of PA are you in? I was born next to the Paoli Massacre site (now Malvern), where the British routed Anthony Wayne's troops on September 20, 1777.

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 4:32 pm

@Marty wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. At one time there were at least a dozen guitars under my roof.  Most are gone, but I still have my spruce top, Indian Rosewood (back/side) acoustic which I can never part with.

Marty
 Thank you much. I'm harboring about 25 guitars here, Wife wants me to clear them out! I look forward to learning as much as I can from the great guys here on the forum. Name is actually Dave, but I needed a user name, and my band name, (Stoney) was the best thing I could come up with.
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 4:44 pm

conner wrote:
@stoney1 wrote:
  I'm new to this forum, but I'm OLD when it comes to powder horns Smile I started making them in 1973. Buck Conner is absolutely correct, hide glue is historically accurate for powder horns, not that he needs my endorsement.
  I've seen some documents stating that brick glue was also used in the mid 1800's.
  Parts assembled with hide glue loosen up when the parts gets warm. Heat is used to "break" hide glue joints when parts need to be removed. On a good hot day your spout may fall off and get lost while trekking.....
Stoney
Pappy Dave's Knives
Pennsylvania

Thank you but not needed on hide glue, have had my fingers coated with it more than I like to talk about.

Wonder where you find a brick when in the forest or on the trail???

Good suggestion for holding joints together Stoney.

What part of PA are you in? I was born next to the Paoli Massacre site (now Malvern), where the British routed Anthony Wayne's troops on September 20, 1777.
Hey Buck
 I know where Malvern is, near Philly I believe? I'm from Berwick, Pa. in the North East. Half way between Scranton and Harrisburg on rt 11. I'm 68 yrs. old and had a stroke back in 2013, so I've backed off the triathlons Very Happy Kidding, never did one. If you saw me, you'd know why.
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure about the brick thing? I'm assuming the brick article was from some horner in Boston or one of the cities in York county Pa. who was supplying the Westward travelers with BP accessories? Thanks again my friend.
Stoney1/Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 5th 2017, 6:12 pm

Hey Buck wrote:
   I know where Malvern is, near Philly I believe? I'm from Berwick, Pa. in the North East. Half way between Scranton and Harrisburg on rt 11.
   Not sure about the brick thing? I'm assuming the brick article was from some horner in Boston or one of the cities in York county Pa. who was supplying the Westward travelers with BP accessories? Thanks again my friend.
Stoney1/Dave

I know your area, have hunted all over the east coast in PA, NY, and OH as an animal control agent for those states back in the 60's.

Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 6th 2017, 7:31 am

@stoney1 wrote:
@Marty wrote:

Marty
 Thank you much. I'm harboring about 25 guitars here, Wife wants me to clear them out! I look forward to learning as much as I can from the great guys here on the forum. Name is actually Dave, but I needed a user name, and my band name, (Stoney) was the best thing I could come up with.
Stoney
There is/was a Bluegrass band called Stoney Lonesome. Any association with that band?
My wife asked over the years why I need more than one 5-string banjo. Now, at my age, I actually think about thinning out the banjo herd in the house. But, each one has its own special characteristics and I just can't go through with parting with them.
Selling one would make some nice muzzle loaders accessible to me.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 6th 2017, 7:48 am

@RonC wrote:

Ron

We got guns ...... Very Happy   cheers

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 13th 2017, 10:20 am

@RonC wrote:
@stoney1 wrote:
@Marty wrote:

Marty
Stoney
There is/was a Bluegrass band called Stoney Lonesome. Any association with that band?
My wife asked over the years why I need more than one 5-string banjo. Now, at my age, I actually think about thinning out the banjo herd in the house. But, each one has its own special characteristics and I just can't go through with parting with them.
Ron
Hey RonC
Nope, no association to Stoney Lonesome. I was affiliated with Carnival Country for about a year back in the 80's, then Country Classics for 3 years, then Tommy Rynick and the Country Travelers for 2 years, most recently I was in a classic OLD country duet with another teacher from my school for 5 years, we were called Country Memories. We toured all over PA. fairs, carnivals, private parties, street festivals, you name it. We disbanded in 2012 just before my stroke. You can hear some of my music on YouTube. Type in stoney327. You'll find about 5 of my original songs there. I am (was) a singer/songwriter, multi instrumentalist, but the stroke stopped that, now I'm just a tinkerer, dabbling in BP accessories and custom knives. Thanks for asking. God bless.
Dave
Ps: Tell your wife, "you can NEVER have too many banjos."
A friend of mine said one day( in front of my wife) " Why do you need 25 guitars, you can only play one at a time?" Then I said to him ( in front of his wife ) "Why do you need 15 guns, you can only shoot one at a time." Shut him right up! Then his wife made him sell half his guns Wink  Slap fight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 13th 2017, 11:25 am

I may have posted this before, but it does make a point:

Ron Very Happy

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 14th 2017, 12:10 pm

Personally ... never found the need for glue on a horn.  But if you've seen any of my horns, you'd know why (all pretty basic & utilitarian with minimal artistic merit).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 16th 2017, 5:46 am

AZshooter
I'd like to see some of your horns, can you link them? Thank you for your reply. I agree, if the plug is fitted well, there's no need to glue anything. Glue is the Devil's EZ way out. My father in law ( passed 10 years ago) was a hobby "Furniture/Cabinet maker"????? who believed that glue and plastic wood was the answer to ever wood working problem. I tried to explain to him that those items didn't make up for poor workmanship. I don't know if he ever really got it?
God bless:
Dave
"Keep the wind in your face, the sun to your back, and your powder dry"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   May 16th 2017, 5:51 am

@RonC wrote:
I may have posted this before, but it does make a point:

Ron Very Happy
Ron
Thanks. I never saw this, but it's worth seeing...LOVE IT!!
Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powder horn glue   

Back to top Go down

Powder horn glue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: