Ads

Share | 

Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline

Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   March 31st 2017, 3:06 pm

The gun is sighted in with 70 grains of 10 year old 3F Goex Pinnacle powder. There was a small clump in the can today. Shook the can and the clump went away. no swabbing between shots today.

Gun: Older model CVA Stag Horn .50 caliber with 1/32" rifling
Scope: Simmons 4X Pro Diamond
Cap: #11 CCI magnum
Powder: 70 grains of 3F Goex Pinnacle
Patch: Unwashed drill cloth
Lube: Outers Weather Seal

Distance: 50 meters.

First shots were all over the place. Front sling swivel was hitting the front rest. Put on a new target spot and fired three more rounds with 6 o'clock hold.

Shooting round balls is fun:  Cheap too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   April 1st 2017, 8:23 am

Great option falcon for those Staghorn owners looking for a more traditional load.  Nice post. 

Yep.. that front end needs to recoil freely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   April 1st 2017, 1:17 pm

Got an Old Staghorn that has served me well.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   April 2nd 2017, 11:36 am

What about all the science and theories on "round ball" twist rates versus "conical" twist rates?  Round balls from a 1:32 twist...... I think you might have some folks scratching their heads!  Twisted Evil

Good shooting!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   April 3rd 2017, 12:42 pm

Quote :
What about all the science and theories on "round ball" twist rates versus "conical" twist rates? 

Well, some of the "scientists" and "theorists" may have gotten it a little wrong. 

Way back when hunters varied their powder charges and their guns had fixed sights.  Slow twist rifling allows the patched round ball shooter to vary the powder charge with little or no change in point of impact.  You can't do that with fast twist.   It takes some experimenting to find the charge that the fast twist gun likes.   The charge will be low, somewhere around 50-70 grains.  Maybe 80 grains from a .54 caliber rifle.   

i've been shooting patched round balls from that gun for many years.   It is capable of much better accuracy.   The day i fired  the wind was blowing a constant 15 mph and gusting to over 25 mph from my  left front. 

i also tried patched round balls from a 1/28 twist but never got the accuracy I wanted.   In retrospect i used too much powder.   

"Doc" White has done a lot of work in this area. 

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/round-balls-in-fast-twist-rifles/

Later this week i'll take my .54 caliber Fire Hawk to the range for a round ball shoot.   It shoots patched round balls very well from its 1/38" twist barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   April 3rd 2017, 5:27 pm

I liked the old staghorn I had years ago. Same 1:32 twist, good trigger and a nice light weight rifle. Its amazing what that 1:32 twist will shoot. Excellent shooting as usual Floyd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
strong eagle

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   June 13th 2017, 12:46 pm

the best twist for a 45 roundball is 1/56 and the best twist for a 50 round ball is 1/60. HOWEVER, the uberti colts in 38 special and 45 long colt i believe have a 1/18 and 1/2 twist. they shoot very accurate with a roundball in the precussion and the cartridge types. roundballs are not long bullets and there fore a different breed of cat. with faster twist round ball shooting the rule is dont push super fast. the used to be 1/72 twist 50 cal round ball rifle had to have more powder than the 1/60  50 cal round ball guns to shoot well. thats why a 1/60 twist 50 cal round ball is less fussy and very accurate with most powder charges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   June 17th 2017, 1:22 pm

Just curious. How much does a 50Cal. Ball weigh?

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   June 17th 2017, 1:30 pm

175-183gr depending on whether it's a .490 or .495.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline   

Back to top Go down

Patched Round Balls Fired From CVA Inline
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: