I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   March 31st 2017, 7:07 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty excited with my most recent muzzleloader score.  I had been looking for a Black Powder shotgun for awhile now.  It would get occasional use, so I couldn't justify getting a Pedersoli/Navy Arms SxS or even a T/C New Englander.  Those guns, while nice, were plain out of my price range. While surfing the web, I stumbled onto an obscure webpage from a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ...I live in CT...

They had a shotgun for sale that I'd never heard of before, a CVA Trapper.  It's a single shot 12a, and was in fairly decent, serviceable condition.  They only wanted $88 OBO...I emailed them and offered them $75 shipped.  They came back and asked for $75 plus $20 shipping.  $95 all in seemed reasonable so we struck a deal and it arrived at my door in 2 days.

What interested me the most about the gun is that it takes screw-in chokes...Mossberg type I think, and it came with a modified choke.  Well I got it all cleaned up and will prove perfect for my needs for spring turkeys and fall pheasants.  It had a nice shiny bore and I don't think it had been shot much.  It has some surface rust and blemishes on the bluing, but for my needs it will be perfect! 

I like the fact that it has a large, sturdy breach plug area, as well as the first 5 inches or so of it's 28 inch barrel is still octagon like a Hawken.  It should prove to be a safe and strong shotgun.  The only thing missing on it is a ramrod thimble, but I can get one of those cheap enough through Deer Creek. 

The lock is color case hardened as is the trigger guard.  It has no butt plate, just smooth wood. I really like the engraving on the lock, it's flowers etc and a duck in flight...kinda interesting!

Anyway here's a few pics, I'm pretty excited to work up a load for it and take it into the woods this spring.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14788
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   March 31st 2017, 8:27 pm

You stole that sucker!!

FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1536

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 10:09 am

Nice. Fun. Love the bird engraving.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 11:09 am

That might be a Winchoke I have a 16 gauge Winchester and the chokes for it are identical looking to yours with knurled end and countersunk holes for a spanner tool to remove. Hope it is Mossberg type though  as they are cheaper and lots more available.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 1:27 pm

Thanks guys,

I will look at Win Chokes as well. From the limited info on the net about these guns...1/2 say they are Mossberg, 1/2 say they are winchesters. I'm sure they are a production choke and not a specialty item. I would probably just get a full choke for it for turkeys and use the modified for everything else. 

Matt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 5:03 pm

My Pedersoli 12 ga sxs has the screw in chokes ,they are interchangeable with Browning Invector chokes. According to Carlsons Chokes I haven't tried any yet but I am fixing to see if I can get a extra full trying to get me a spring Turkey .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 10:07 pm

Great find!
It should be fun to shoot.
Ron

Jotjackson
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 1st 2017, 11:14 pm

Good looking gun, I have been thinking about one myself.

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5486
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 3rd 2017, 5:55 pm

You can't beat that for an entry-level shotgun.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old and grumpy

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-11-03

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 3rd 2017, 6:14 pm

Very nice! For that price you can refinish the whole thing and not worry about screwing up.

I've never got into BP long guns but would have snapped it up. Congrats.  Working up a "find" is more rewarding than pulling a new one out of the box.

Noticed you didn't give us the link to the pawn shop!  Bet you go back often Very Happy .

Last edited by Old and grumpy on April 3rd 2017, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14788
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 3rd 2017, 6:15 pm

Personally, I'd leave the factory choke on it! My CVA Hawken 12g that I had was amazing out to 50 yards with 1 1/8oz # 7 1/2 shot.

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 3rd 2017, 8:46 pm

I have a CVA Double Modified Choke on both Barrels. So Bird has to get close.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3360
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 3rd 2017, 9:56 pm

It's quite the sport and challenge of taking small game with a smoker as was once the norm.   :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   April 4th 2017, 4:36 am

Thanks guys. My plan at this point is to work on a load using the modified choke that came with the gun. Most of the turkey's I've shot I've called into between 10-25 yards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!   

Back to top Go down

I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: