Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2015-10-28

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... Empty
PostSubject: CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well...   CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... EmptyApril 10th 2017, 9:50 am

Well I finally had a few hrs to shoot and work up a turkey load for my CVA Trapper. It has a modified choke on it and a concentrated on working up a load for approximately 20-25 yards.  I started off with 70 grains of 2f Goex...spit lubed overpowder card...2 lubed felt wads...1 1/2 oz Nickel plated #5 shot...overshot card.  Here's the result

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... IMG_2411

I was kinda disappointed with the load and took a few more shots while varying wads etc. I noticed pretty quickly that the center of my pattern was low and a bit to the left.  I adjusted my sight picture a bit.  I'm not used to shooting a shotgun without a vent rib, so while aiming, I kinda have to just look down over the barrel and line the bead up with the bulls eye. This helped center my pattern.  Shooting a bit to the left still, due to me flinching....did I mention this thing kicks like a mule?!  Here's another pic of my pattern a few shots later....still kinda iffy at 20 yards, but at least it's centered on the target.

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... IMG_2413

After a few more shots, I decided to change the load to the following: 80 grains of 2f Goex...spit lubed overpowder card...1 lubed felt wad...2 oz Nickel plated #6 shot...overshot card......WINNER WINNER TURKEY DINNER!!! Here's the winning combo so far.  

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... IMG_2412

I'm pretty happy with the gun/load so far. With the modified choke, I am still able to load normally without having to remove the choke, which is nice. Shot penetration into the wooden frame of my target stand was pretty good for #6 shot.  I am used to copper plated #4's shot through a 3 1/2 magnum with a tight turkey choke. I'm feeling pretty confident with the load combination. The Black Shoot-n-see targets are the small 6 inch types.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well...   CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well... EmptyApril 10th 2017, 11:39 am

That load of #6 should turn his head & neck into turkey burger. Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

CVA Trapper Shotgun Patterning is going well...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: