Share | 

Connected on a bearded hen yesterday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 788
Registration date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   April 14th 2017, 2:14 pm

Our turkey season opened this past Wednesday morning. I went out Opening morning, and had 2 toms gobbling off the roost, a long way away. Saw a bunch of deer right in front of me, but didn't see or hear any birds after sun up. Hunted that afternoon, and saw one lone bird, and a few deer about 100 yards away. Had to work yesterday morning, so didn't get to get out. Left work at 3:00 yesterday, and was in the blind by 4:00. Here in Minnesota, the law in the spring, is any bearded bird. Made one short call sequence as soon as I got settled, and by 4:15, I had a bearded hen on the ground!! Shocked  Talk about fast!! She came in with 5 other birds, and they were all jakes with no beards visible. As soon as I saw the beard on this hen, I knew I was going to take her. I wasn't 100% sure it was a hen after I shot her, but everyone who has seen her said it is for sure a hen, so I am going with that.Very Happy She was 11 pounds, with an 8" beard. Not the biggest bird in the woods, but I am very happy with it.. This is only my second year hunting for turkeys, and last year I got a jake, So I am 2 for 2...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   April 14th 2017, 3:17 pm

Congrats on the turkey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   April 14th 2017, 4:08 pm

That's a long beard for a hen. The ones I've seen killed by others are shorter and thinner than that one.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   April 15th 2017, 7:30 am

Nicely done BigDaddy Exclamation cheers

Turkey hunting is exciting. Easy to drag out of the woods too when you're 75 Laughing

----------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Wow...your season starts early.  Our spring gobbler season doesn't start until April 24th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   April 15th 2017, 12:48 pm

Nice bird, probably eat better that a 20 lb tom!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Connected on a bearded hen yesterday   

Back to top Go down

Connected on a bearded hen yesterday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Lodge! :: The Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: