Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Never use plastic cleaning equipment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Never use plastic cleaning equipment Empty
PostSubject: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   Never use plastic cleaning equipment EmptyApril 23rd 2017, 12:28 pm

I was doing a light cleaning of my Marlin m-7 and my plastic patch loop broke off at the threads, so i took a one piece cleaning rod and pushed it into the bore in the same direction action to muzzle till I felt it swallow the loop and gently pushed it out.

Two questions is there any way I could have damaged my barrel and what does everybody else use if they have a similar situation arise?
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   Never use plastic cleaning equipment EmptyApril 23rd 2017, 1:58 pm

I don't see how a plastic anything or an aluminum or brass cleaning rod can hurt a modern steel barrel. Modern steel is harder and more durable than either aluminum or brass. However, a fiberglass rod may be able to do slight scratching since it's so abrasive.

I try to use only brass or aluminum patch holders but do have a few plastic ones due to them coming with cleaning kits. I put an aluminum button on the end of the rod and push it out if it has an accessible chamber. Otherwise, I use a worm to remove whatever.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   Never use plastic cleaning equipment EmptyApril 23rd 2017, 2:47 pm

Older white loops were actually nylon and quite tough. Still have a bunch dating back around 50 years. The colored plastic ones today?  I've found one good use for them. They make a really nice PING sound when I toss them into the metal garbage can beside my bench.
Back to top Go down
Bazoo

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   Never use plastic cleaning equipment EmptyNovember 13th 2017, 9:18 pm

I dont see any way you could have damaged your bore.    I've broken several of the black hoppes tips.   I use them till they break, when I have them.   I like brownells brand brass patch holders and either aluminum or brass rods.  

I didnt know the older white loops were nylon,  they are tough.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3448
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   Never use plastic cleaning equipment EmptyNovember 15th 2017, 7:47 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
Older white loops were actually nylon and quite tough. Still have a bunch dating back around 50 years. The colored plastic ones today?  I've found one good use for them. They make a really nice PING sound when I toss them into the metal garbage can beside my bench.

I've done that, it does make a PING sound, never gave any thought until now.  headslap

Back to top Go down

Never use plastic cleaning equipment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: