Share | 

Never use plastic cleaning equipment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   April 23rd 2017, 12:28 pm

I was doing a light cleaning of my Marlin m-7 and my plastic patch loop broke off at the threads, so i took a one piece cleaning rod and pushed it into the bore in the same direction action to muzzle till I felt it swallow the loop and gently pushed it out.

Two questions is there any way I could have damaged my barrel and what does everybody else use if they have a similar situation arise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5192
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   April 23rd 2017, 1:58 pm

I don't see how a plastic anything or an aluminum or brass cleaning rod can hurt a modern steel barrel. Modern steel is harder and more durable than either aluminum or brass. However, a fiberglass rod may be able to do slight scratching since it's so abrasive.

I try to use only brass or aluminum patch holders but do have a few plastic ones due to them coming with cleaning kits. I put an aluminum button on the end of the rod and push it out if it has an accessible chamber. Otherwise, I use a worm to remove whatever.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   April 23rd 2017, 2:47 pm

Older white loops were actually nylon and quite tough. Still have a bunch dating back around 50 years. The colored plastic ones today?  I've found one good use for them. They make a really nice PING sound when I toss them into the metal garbage can beside my bench.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never use plastic cleaning equipment   

Back to top Go down

Never use plastic cleaning equipment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: