Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 7:28 am

I have had a  long term fantasy about having a shooting range near my house. I don't think that it ever will come about, but I can dream. So, I am envious, Sharpsman.
When my wife and I lived in the caretakers cottage of a Virginia estate, we had the space to build a range, but the estate owner wouldn't it permit it.
There was a time that we were going to consider a move to Picayune, MS. My biggest fear about living there was the problem of lowland flooding. Ultimately, we went to Colorado. With my home near 6000 ft altitude, and not close to any streams, we don't fear flooding.
Ron

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 9:38 am

Ron

My first venture into Colorado was when I was 20 years age....1960 and this was one low-land country boy that was awed by the beauty of the entire state! I was stationed at Ft. Carson before it was reactivated; that's where my AMU trained as there just wasn't enough provisional space at Ft. Benning for all of us. On weekends when we weren't training or giving a marksmanship clinic somewhere I drove the mountains in a 1950 two door black Chevy! Ugly SOB it was but it got me where I wanted to go and back again! One of my favorite places to drive was just west of Colorado Springs up on the Rampart Range Road that ran all the way to Denver atop a ridge. I took my NM M1 Garand with me and when I found a place that was right....I'd stop the car, get all my shooting gear out and pick a far off vertical wall on the side of a mountain and shoot at a spot I could discern. I'd set my spotting scope up such that at the shot I could lean slightly over and watch the POI through the scope and believe you me....I learned a lot about judging wind conditions shooting across canyons at distances I'd guess out to 1500 yards...or more! I put Angie in the truck about every three years and I make a commute back out to the high country as I can't stand being away any longer than that from all the beauty God saw fit to store there! I'm going to make a trip out to Devils' Tower soon and cut back southwest and cross over the Divide and go down to Silverton and eat me a nice ribeye steak at a restaurant I know about there! I think I'd have made a good Mountain Man provided I could have kept my hair! THAT....is a non issue at this stage of the game because no hair for an Injun to take!

As for Mississippi....there is high ground there but no mountains like where you are now! A really beautiful state south of Jackson and Vicksburg! Lots of deer and turkey! And once away from the cities....folks that are God fearing and tender to the heart! Their word is akin to putting money in the bank! You made a good choice however!

Take care....HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!

Going to go get another one of these in about a week:

Rickturk1 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Angie and I at Mesa Verde two years back:

Angela/Rick by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 1:28 pm

I really enjoyed reading your post, Sharpsman!
Ron

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 2:47 pm

@RonC wrote:
I really enjoyed reading your post, Sharpsman!
Ron
Thanks!

Just an old man blathering along! t up t up Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 3:23 pm

Blathering along to other old men. Smile

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 3:31 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
Blathering along to other old men. Smile

You tore that Jeep up yet??????? :Hide :Hide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 3:35 pm

No, it's too tough for me.

Speaking of tearing up. I went for my first hard hike today in the mountains. I about killed myself. My back, hip, knees, and lungs were crying for mercy.

I have some work to do.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 4:01 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
No, it's too tough for me.

Speaking of tearing up. I went for my first hard hike today in the mountains. I about killed myself. My back, hip, knees, and lungs were crying for mercy.

I have some work to do.

Knees have been fairly good for me lately! I had  synthetic cartilage injected into my right knee about two years back and it's done one heck of a job! Doc told me I could have two shots a year if needed but so far....no problem but I think it will be needed soon! The dang herniated disc in my back is literally a PITA on occasion however! Pete....all these folks out running/hiking/riding bikes, etc. are NUTS! All they're doing is wearing their joints out and preparing themselves for an extra 18 months in an old folks home!!! Wife asked me "Where you wanna be buried?" I told her...."Wherever I hit!" cheers affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 4:12 pm

Yeah, if I keel over just as I put a maxiball into a bear up at Mineral Basin i'll go out with a smile on my face.  Shooter

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 5:07 pm

local lake rose 7 feet in 24 hours! There are rivers running throughout the area. I went to pueblo to see the doctor about my stomach, and every little creek is now a river. The antelope were out in full force too. Some real nice bucks out there this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 5:23 pm

Yep! Runoff is starting. Fly fishing will suck now until about July.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 5:46 pm

no so much snow melt, but the rain Pete. Its raining again today. The amount of rain we're getting is just crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 6:33 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
Yeah, if I keel over just as I put a maxiball into a bear up at Mineral Basin i'll go out with a smile on my face.  Shooter

Are you bear hunting now...season in??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 6:37 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
no so much snow melt, but the rain Pete. Its raining again today. The amount of rain we're getting is just crazy.
 That adds to it, but it's not raining here and water flow is up. I can see the snow line it getting higher. That means snow melt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 6:45 pm

@Sharpsman wrote:
@Bear Claw wrote:

It's a recent decision, so I didn't put in for a bear tag this year. I'm hoping for a leftover, or as a last resort, I can get a muzzy bear tag. They're OTC. Muzzy tag is only 9 days and the bear rifle seasons is the whole month of Sept. I want that one, because of the length of the season and no muzzy restrictions. So, I can use any bullet. I can also use a CF if I want to. Which i'm considering so i'll have a back up shot. I hunt alone and don't own a handgun.

I'd like to specialize in bear hunting. I like the long season in a good month to hunt the Rockies. I tried to retire from hunting. I really did. I can't do it. I guess i'll hobble around the mountains hunting until I keel over or a bear eats me.

In honor of the bear hunter in the Jerimiah Johnson movie I took his name. Smile

I'll still elk and deer hunt, but bear will be my main focus.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 7:12 pm

@Bear Claw wrote:
@Sharpsman wrote:
@Bear Claw wrote:

It's a recent decision, so I didn't put in for a bear tag this year. I'm hoping for a leftover, or as a last resort, I can get a muzzy bear tag. They're OTC. Muzzy tag is only 9 days and the bear rifle seasons is the whole month of Sept. I want that one, because of the length of the season and no muzzy restrictions. So, I can use any bullet. I can also use a CF if I want to. Which i'm considering so i'll have a back up shot. I hunt alone and don't own a handgun.

I'd like to specialize in bear hunting. I like the long season in a good month to hunt the Rockies. I tried to retire from hunting. I really did. I can't do it. I guess i'll hobble around the mountains hunting until I keel over or a bear eats me.

In honor of the bear hunter in the Jerimiah Johnson movie I took his name. Smile

I'll still elk and deer hunt, but bear will be my main focus.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 7:14 pm

That was a funny scene. After seeing it about 7-8 times I still crack up seeing it again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 7:23 pm

This is what I was trying to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NMQnDrBp60
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 7:54 pm

They showed that movie again a few nights ago. I always enjoy watching it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 10th 2017, 10:02 pm

just on the other side of spanish peaks. Not to far. Even our arroyos that normally have a slow pace water supply, are now rushing with rain water.
http://www.koaa.com/story/35400052/small-colorado-town-facing-potential-flooding-overnight
Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 11th 2017, 7:04 am

Hope you avoid any flooding problems!
I've dealt with the effects of a flood in Virginia due to the remnants of a hurricane. A little, knee-high creek had the average flow of the Potomac River and 3/4 of the flow the the Hudson River due to an official 29" of rain in 8 hours and unofficial 31" in the same period - 10,000 feet per second. There were disposal diapers in the tops of 30 ft sycamore trees. Boulders the size of buses were rolled downstream. Something like 120 or more people lost their lives.

It was a 1/10,000 year flood. A few years later, there was another 1/10,000 year flood in the same area! How does a 1/10,000 year flood occur twice in just a few years! Because what has been called a 1/10,000 year flood doesn't really mean it is a flood that might occur once in 10,000 years. It means that in any one year, there is a 1 in 10,000 chance, or 0.0001 chance that there would be a flood that size in any one year!
Ron (whose hobby budget is under water)

Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 11th 2017, 7:35 pm

Hurricane Camille's remains I believe that was. 1969? I remember the aftermath flooding in Richmond. It was for sure a mess!
Glenn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 11th 2017, 10:06 pm

That was Camille, and it was followed a few years later by Hurricane Agnes.  I have some photos taken in Richmond at the time and there are highway ramps that are indicated only by signs sticking up out of the water.
It is hard to imagine about 30" of rain in 8 hours.
Ron

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 12th 2017, 7:01 am

@RonC wrote:
That was Camille, and it was followed a few years later by Hurricane Agnes.  I have some photos taken in Richmond at the time and there are highway ramps that are indicated only by signs sticking up out of the water.
It is hard to imagine about 30" of rain in 8 hours.
Ron

Several weeks after Camille I drove down to the coast and where hotels had been adjacent to the Gulf the only things remaining were the slabs and a lot of those, along with the highway were uprooted and shoved as far as 800 yards to one mile inland! We drove where the highway had been on a mound of sand the local engineers had graded up. In one of the hotels prior to the storm hitting shore there were a few idiots who declared "We're gonna ride the storm out here!" Well....they've NEVER been found! I think there's a quote in the bible that declares "Woe to the inhabitants of the seacoast!"

It doesn't pay to screw around with old Mother Nature!! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   May 12th 2017, 11:37 am

We have a small shooting range but it's in Garvin county, 75 miles from home.   The Fort Sill private weapons range  was  nice  when the Sportsman's Center ran the place.   Some other Army  entity took over and the range went down hill fast.   Last time i fired there were no trash cans.   Now its "closed until further notice".   Rumor is there was an accident/incident of some kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can't catch a break!   

Back to top Go down

I can't catch a break!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: