Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

A gobbler may be in trouble!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

A gobbler may be in trouble! Empty
PostSubject: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 6th 2017, 7:17 pm

I've had the idea that I can put a .54 cal round ball through a gobblers' head and this afternoon I believe I found a load that will do just that. I started out with 100 grs. which is my standard deer load and the two shots were slightly high at 60 yards. I then tried 70 grs. and these are the three lower shots. I went to 80 grs. of KIK 2F and it appears that is the medicine. I really like this GRRW Hawken! cheers :suhlute

A gobbler may be in trouble! 34497352965_ddc4088eb9_bUntitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman on May 8th 2017, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected wording!)
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 5:45 am

Awesome grouping Sharpsman!
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 8:33 am

t up

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 9:08 am

Thanks guys! I've got a friend up in Wyoming, cattle rancher and he shoots a lot of blackpowder through cartridge rifles. He's invited me up to hunt a couple of times but business always kept me tied down. Now that I'm retired aka retarded......it looks as if I may have to go visit him as I think Wyoming is one of the few states that allows taking a gobbler with a rifle. I've come to far to go illegal! :suhlute
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 11:05 am

Nice!  That GRRW will be getting back close to home in Wyoming, so it just makes sense that it would be happy to pop a turkey head.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 11:35 am

@lighthorseman wrote:
t up

Me, too. And, go GRRW!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 12:01 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
Nice!  That GRRW will be getting back close to home in Wyoming, so it just makes sense that it would be happy to pop a turkey head.

I like this rifle! Very accurate! I use .017" pillow ticking that I soak in Canola oil and cut at the muzzle. It shoots right were I hold it!

A gobbler may be in trouble! 34148144140_e195611bfb_bUntitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:suhlute
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 12:06 pm

yep, gorgeous rifle indeed! Shame its only worth 50 bucks. The gunsmith built it backwards . Very Happy

:Hide
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 12:13 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
yep, gorgeous rifle indeed! Shame its only worth 50 bucks. The gunsmith built it backwards . Very Happy

:Hide

All my rifles are backwards! lol! cheers

Not quite! Got a flinter that's on the wrong side.....but no problem shooting it off the left shoulder! :suhlute affraid
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 1:07 pm

@Sharpsman wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:

I like this rifle! Very accurate! I use .017" pillow ticking that I soak in Canola oil and cut at the muzzle. It shoots right were I hold it!

A gobbler may be in trouble! 34148144140_e195611bfb_bUntitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:suhlute

What a score!  My own original GRRW is a lefty too, but 58 caliber with a 36" barrel tapering from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle.  A real tank to lug (over 12# like many originals), but it's by far the most accurate rifle I own.

Bang that turkey head!
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 2:01 pm

I like it!.......though I couldn't figure out to shoot it ....sorta like my wife learning to drive on the right side of the road. headslap

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 2:40 pm

@lighthorseman wrote:
I like it!.......though I couldn't figure out to shoot it ....sorta like my wife learning to drive on the right side of the road. headslap

Or like a lefty being told he should just buck up and learn to shoot a right handed rifle! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 4:29 pm

Good looking rifle for sure!!  Love the holes in that target you posted even better!!  Great shooting.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: A gobbler may be in trouble!   A gobbler may be in trouble! EmptyMay 8th 2017, 5:08 pm

I didn't do what I thought I could today but I did get some 'doubles'. I let two get away from me! After some honey do jobs I decided to shoot and I think I'm tired! I'm having a tuff time figuring out that I can't do at 77 what I could at age 40! But today I didn't seat a PRB to the bottom with no powder...like yesterday! I pulled the nipple this morning....poured some 4F into the flashhole and set her off! PRB came right out! It pays to think in this game!!

A gobbler may be in trouble! 33731454963_c49f84fb60_bUntitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Back to top Go down

A gobbler may be in trouble!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: