Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

New Shooting Bag

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrownBear

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: New Shooting Bag   May 11th 2017, 9:01 pm

I finished the bag to go with the sweet GRRW Leman Squirrel Rifle built for me by Ron Paull and highlighted by Buck in another thread.

The aim for the rifle was to recreate a "gentleman's" rifle from late in the muzzleloader era just before the civil war.  In addition to all the trade guns and trade rifles, Leman also built more refined rifles for the "civilized" market in the east.  By then deer were getting scarce and most of the shooting was for small game.  I intend to use the rifle mostly for small game and occasional deer, so I went with a 45 caliber.  That's what the original GRRW Squirrel Rifle came in and that's also the minimum caliber for muzzleloading big game here in Alaska.

Since this is a gentleman's rifle, I figured I should go with a gentleman's shooting bag. Referring to Madison Grant's great book The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch for examples from the era and region, I came up with this design and finish. It's a good match for my eye, but of course I'm the one who is going to use it! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: New Shooting Bag   May 12th 2017, 7:11 am

Here's more detail on the design and intent of the bag.

I'm a lefty and wear it on my right side. I spent lots more time thinking and designing than I did cutting and sewing.

It's small (7"x7") compared to what lots of folks carry, reflecting many originals and my intent to use it as a "day" bag on casual day hunts rather than treks. No extra straps outside or any other danglies because of our brush. I'm making a small horn (about the size of a half a banana) that will drop inside along with a small knife, tool kit, balls and strip of patching. Lube will be in the rifle's patch box for a quick smear and a cut at the muzzle.

It's light leather (3 oz) for flexibility, but with welts and 10-stitch per inch spacing for seam strength. The gusset tapers from 1.5" along the bottom to 0 about 2/3 of the way up the sides for extra room in the bottom and a "closed mouth" kind of arrangement to help contain contents, even with no snap or button on the flap.

The bag is more or less "hour glass" shaped, narrower in the middle than the bottom or top with the front panel ending a couple inches below the flap seam. That was to narrow the top so the flap could be wider for weather protection while still having good support. There's an interior pouch on the back panel almost as wide as the bag and 2/3 the depth. I made a small leather box for rod tip accessories to drop into it.

After dying I used no "finish," but several coats of wax (Fiebings Atom wax of course) for waterproofing.

Small, sleek and dangle-free was my goal, styled to match the Leman. I almost duplicated the patch box engraving in a circle onto the bag flap, but decided to keep it all simple.

Perhaps most notable of all, this is one of the few projects I've ever made with no DNA marking! t up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: New Shooting Bag   May 12th 2017, 11:48 am

Nice bag!....good to see one with a sense of pride of workmanship. Goes well with Ron's efforts on the rifle!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Shooting Bag   

Back to top Go down

New Shooting Bag
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: