Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

22lbs melted down today!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: 22lbs melted down today!   May 13th 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm not sure if its pure soft lead, but i can get a finger nail into it unlike wheel weight lead. But today I found my 25lb bag of shot in the closet and decided to melt it into 1lb ingots for later use.

For hunting this year, I am going to experiment with using harder lead for deeper penetration into an elk that may wander by.

I mixed up 2lbs of 50/50 soft/lead shot to try out. The other 20lbs is straight lead shot. I can always add soft lead and experiment with the hardness I am looking for.

The first hog I took with my Flintlock last march with Floyd, I was able to recover the pure lead .490" round ball. That shot came out the front leg on that hog at 50 yards, broke the leg bone and ribs.

For elk, I really think going with a harder ball will make me feel a little better about penetration.

22lbs in all! I still have a bunch of soft stuff to melt and clean that Floyd gave me, also have lead pipes that Marty sent me years ago. I don't mind it a bit, its a fun chore to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 13th 2017, 6:08 pm

Penetration is good on elk, but make sure it still expands some. You don't want the ball just blasting on through.

Why not use a conical to be sure?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 13th 2017, 6:12 pm

Big no to a conical, I'm done with those.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 13th 2017, 6:15 pm

Well, you want a humane shot on an elk. I still feel a PRB .50 is going to take a perfect shot. If you feel you have enough self control to not pull the trigger if you don't have one, go for it.

I'd be more comfortable with a .54.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 14th 2017, 1:21 pm

Yep - stick to soft lead.  Expansion is vital & you don't need to stand back & make that 150 yard shot. 

About a dozen years ago, one of the guys at work wanted to know what "all that ¢rap" in the back of my truck was.  I just scored almost 200# of lead pipe & roof flashing from a nearby recycling place & told him I was going to cast a buncha' roundballs.  One of the other guys wanted to know if I needed tin to alloy it.  I we talked about soft lead muzzleloader balls &c he said he cast some wheelweights for his rifle, since they penetrated better.  This all led to an invitation to go out elk hunting on some family property next fall.

The guy's uncle inherited family land from grandpa & city-boy uncle was a-gonna move up there & live offa' the land.  He had ambition, drive and a high pain-threshold.  He also had a deep stupid streak learned from reading a lot of misinformation about backwoods living.

The day came & we met at the "cabin", an old run-down log shack on the outside, and a hunting palace on the inside that grandpa had added on to & had plumbing, electricity & satellite TV & internet.

Uncle pulled out his "muzzleloader" all plastic & stainless steel, it used propellant pellets, a copper-jacketed bullet of sorts with a sabot & shotgun primers.  It was scoped, of course & he was quite the dude - and told us about the wonderment that was his elk gat.  Nephew was apparently the black sheep, dunce of the family. Uncle elbowed me & said 'watch this' as the kid pulled out his .50 cal caplock using his wheelweight 'harder' balls.

Not sure what they expected when I pulled my rifle outta the sock, but I guess I got the new dumba$$ status when know-it-all Uncle saw my .54 cal. flint Lyman trade rifle. After all, if anyone thinks they can shoot game with a flintlock, they gotta be dumber than the caplock shooter ...

Results:  Uncle did his 125 yard shot and spent 6 hours chasing down his elk, which eventually died of old age.  The hard roundball gave great penetration - thru & thru, but it was a good kill.  Mine punched a hole in the shoulderblade that looked like it was drilled, then on to flatten out & rest under the hide on the far side.  It had flattened out like someone hit it with a hammer on an anvil.  Mine was a 'long' walk back to the cabin (at least 1/2 mile) where I was able to drive my truck out & back up to load in the elk.  Uncle appeared back at the cabin after dark & had a long walk back from his 'kill' (rather, 'death').  He needed us to go run around in the dark to help him load up.  I told him to go take his 3-wheeler, poly tarp & some rope and drag it back after dressing it out ... tomorrow morning ...  after breakfast ... if bears & coyotes hadn't gotten it yet.  Carcass on a poly tarp drags just like a sled, especially thru tall grass. 

Found out later the Uncle was pi$$ed at me, not only because I could drive up to my 75 yard shot & I used a flintlock, but because I drove thru the meadow & left tire tracks in the grass -- nevermind the 4 mile long, 3 foot wide tarp drag marks HE left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 19th 2017, 7:08 am

I've never hunted elk (yet), but know it's a big animal to bring down.  I'd want a projectile that I know would penetrate.   If elk hunting is a yearly passion, it's well-worth the time to develop Shooter and pour a stash of custom balls specifically for elk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 19th 2017, 4:06 pm

Here's a soft pure lead round ball I used on the hog I took with my flinter at Floyds place. This was around 177-178.8 grains to start with and was driven by 80gr 2fg olde eynsford at 50 yards into a 175-200 hogs shoulder. I found it on the opposite shoulder after I hit the leg bone, shattered it and came to rest inside the shoulder meat. The other side of the ball has a big thin section. I will have to take a picture of that. I figure a little harder lead will offer deeper penetration, especially with an elks heavy bone set up.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 7:36 am

Wow What a Face...flat as a pancake.  A harder lead makes sense when you're talking elk mass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 7:40 am

He should have kept the .58 for elk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 7:44 am

LOL, I loved that rifle.

My back just couldn't take the extra weight though. My last year of hunting with it, the weight really aggravated my neck issues.

My 50cal st.louis hawken is a pleasure to carry. Even with a 100gr load, its tame.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 7:52 am

I can understand that. I have the same problem. A shorter barrel .58 might be the answer. Like the Renegade Big Bore. The bigger .58 bore should make the barrel lighter than a .50. I think the Renegade BB is still a 1" across flats on the .58.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 10:39 am

After my abovementioned elk hunt, I did something kinda stoopid: I sold my Trade Rifle.  I originally bought it used from a tactical gun know-it-all's son.  Tacti-Dad said the Trade Rifle needed a shorter barrel for better swing and point handling, so he sawed off some barrel and recrowned it. The son didn't like it.  Fortunately, it looked ok about 4" shorter & he did a good job repositoning the front rod thimble.  I had decided that I wanted a GPR instead & found a lefthanded .50 cal. flint on the cheap. Besides, I already had a .54 percussion rifle.

After a while with the GPR, I decided that it was: longer and heavier than I wanted to carry around, and: it wasn't .54 cal.  I missed my Trade rifle, and opportunity presented itself to get a lefty flint .54 cal. Deerstalker.  It was one still available after Lyman had removed them from their catalog.  It was easy to break in & became my go-to grapefruit gun.  Dad had several grapefruit trees near Tucson & I ended up with the culls, since I prefer to juice them.  There were always leftovers & I'd put them out at the 100 yard berm at the range to annoy the seasonal spendy-rifle shooters by blowing up grapefruit with boring regularity.  To say the Deerstalker is accurate is an understatement. 

Nevertheless, I missed the .54 flint Trade Rifle & finally found the last one in stock apparently anywhere in the US.  Even the Lyman website shows them as out of stock & everyone seems to be also on backorder.  It's on the way to me now.  I'll install the Lyman peep and globe sights from the Deerstalker onto it & will eventually make it the new grapefruit gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 10:46 am

Want to sell the Deerstalker? I've never been able to find a LH .54 caplock. I know they stopped making them, but you'd think a used one would show up now and then.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 10:55 am

Bear Claw wrote:
Want to sell the Deerstalker? I've never been able to find a LH .54 caplock. I know they stopped making them, but you'd think a used one would show up now and then.
It's actually lefty flint.  I'm a packrat, but come to the realization that, sooner or later I'll need to do more thinning the herd someday.  I put those gawdawful glowing fiber sights back on.  After I shoot it a time or 2 more, the time may be at hand to part with it.  You'll be first on my list of takers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 20th 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks anyway. I don't want another Lyman flint. They still make that gun. It's the caplock they dropped. I'm not sure why?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 24th 2017, 7:51 pm

well after my last trip to the Whittington center, I am out of ammo! I'll spend a few hours tomorrow and cast as many round balls as I can. Its nice having all of your lead ingots ready to drop in and go. Its a pain melting it down and cleaning it.
Back to top Go down
AZshooter

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 25th 2017, 12:04 am

Bear Claw wrote:
Thanks anyway. I don't want another Lyman flint. They still make that gun. It's the caplock they dropped. I'm not sure why?
Here's the percussion:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/lyman-54-cal-deerstalker-percussion-muzzleloader-lym6033141

http://www.octobercountry.com/lyman-deerstalker-percussion-rifle-50-54-cal/

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000156033141/deerstalker-54-caliber-right-hand-percussion

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?cid=6&pid=166&offset=0
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 25th 2017, 7:41 am

We were talking about the LH model. I lost the sight in my right eye about 10 years ago and have to shoot left handed now.

I've owned a bunch of RH guns and shoot them left handed, but when they have a cheek piece it drives me nuts when it's on the wrong side. The only one that qualifies now is the GPR in LH, but my bum back has a hard time holding up the longer barrel. So, i've had to go with shorter barrels. They used to make a Deerstalker in a caplock .54. The Deerstalker has a cheek piece so it's one of the ones I don't like using a RH version.

No matter now anyway. Since Jon is using the Traditions Woodsman Hawken I thought i'd try one too. It's a RH gun, but no cheek piece. So far I like it. They don't offer a .54, so i'll be using a .50 PRB. Going to have to get even closer for shots now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 25th 2017, 9:03 am

The round balls i've recovered from hogs were flattened to .75+ caliber.   i've had them split in two a couple times when bone was hit.   One thing for sure:   .50 and larger round balls perform very well on game.  

Couple years ago i got on a conical kick.   Used 320 grain Maxi Balls in my .50 New Englander. 
They were no more lethal on hogs than round balls.   Conicals leaded the bore of my rifle:  Now
 it won't shoot patched round balls worth a hoot.   

After two cleaning sessions there is still lead in the bore.  One more time with Scotch Brite  and Hoppe's may do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 25th 2017, 9:53 am

now now Pete, get the name of that rifle right!
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/traditions-hawken-woodsman-rifle-r24008.html

Traditions™ Hawken Woodsman

5 Review(s) | Add Your Review

Tease

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 25th 2017, 9:55 am

I haven't even shot it. Kind of early for a review.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   May 26th 2017, 5:20 pm

Yesterday I mixed up 3lbs of soft lead to 1lb chilled lead. Seems a bit harder, but you can still get your fingernail to bite into it.

I think it will be bad medicine for mr. bull elk this year!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 22lbs melted down today!   

Back to top Go down

22lbs melted down today!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: