Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Bird Shot Ball accuracy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Bird Shot Ball accuracy Empty
PostSubject: Bird Shot Ball accuracy   Bird Shot Ball accuracy EmptyMay 14th 2017, 12:46 pm

Made a couple dozen .490" round balls out of that chilled lead shot I melted down yesterday.

Loads fine. The patch material was to thin for the 100gr charge and was blowing the patches in half, so I can correct that with a thicker patch and maybe even bring the POI down a bit.

I was really surprised how well that shallow rifling and 1:48 twist does in this rifle with a 100gr Pyrodex RS charge.

I was shooting 50 yards and never touched the bore with a swab. I did however let it cool due to the heat.

80gr Pyrodex RS however was the cherry on top as far as accuracy goes! After those 2 shots I said to hell with it, 3 would be a  waste.

I tried 90gr RS and believe it or not, accuracy was terrible! 80 & 100gr is loved.

Bird Shot Ball accuracy IMG_9096

I still have Pyrodex P to try out as well.

Overall, I am sure happy. Once I test Pyrodex P, I will go cast some 50/50 mixed balls and see how those do. Then its time to buy some sand & water buckets to check expansion at 75 and 100 yards.
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Bird Shot Ball accuracy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird Shot Ball accuracy   Bird Shot Ball accuracy EmptyMay 14th 2017, 3:59 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
...time to buy some sand & water buckets to check expansion at 75 and 100 yards.

For your reference, here's a bunch of 54 caliber balls cast from pure lead, then launched on top of 90 grains of Pyrodex P into a bucket of wet sand at 75 yards.  Penetrated about half way through at most.
Bird Shot Ball accuracy Bullets
Back to top Go down

Bird Shot Ball accuracy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: