Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Rainy Day Bag

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Rainy Day Bag   May 30th 2017, 3:46 pm

Our continuing spate of rainy weather reminded me I need a foul weather bag for my GRRW CA Leman that was more suitable than veg tan.

So using the same pattern I cobbled one out of Tandy's Stoned Oil leather in dark brown, using a forged iron buckle as well.

I've learned that right out of the box the Stoned Oil leather isn't as waterproof as I'd like, so I'm in the habit of giving it a generous coating of Fiebings Atom Wax, which also darkens it. You'll get smears and runs with the Atom Wax, but it rubs right back to smooth. A little tip for rubbing back the excess wax: Dampen your rubbing rag with more Atom Wax, and the excess wax comes of quick and easy. I laid a scrap of the original leather on top of the bag for comparison.

With the flap up you can see there's extra "allowance" for the flap above the pouch itself. That leaves the pouch right at 6" deep and 7" wide at the widest point near the base, and of course there's a 2" tapered gusset.

While I was at it I did a fast cobble on a small horn to fit inside the bag protected from rain and free of tangles from our dense alders. For some reason the Fiebings leather dye didn't like this particular horn, so the snout end is pretty shabby.  I'll get around to fixing that. Someday. Meanwhile this sweet little horn is 6" straight across from the butt to the tip, in keeping with the bag depth. The butt plug is stained maple, while the spout plug is a fast whittle from a hunk of hickory ramrod I had laying around.

If that horn seems ridiculously small, consider this. At 6" long and a little over 2" at the butt, it holds 1600 grains or right at 4 ounces. That translates into over 50 30-grain charges or 17 90-grain charges. If a hunter needs even half that amount, it's probably time to consider golf. I can't see a reason in the world for a guy to risk any more than 4 ounces of powder in rain country.

Here 'tis safely nestled within easy reach inside the pouch.

While I was in a whittling and carving mood I grabbed a horn tip and ginned up a 30 grain powder measure. Not sure that's going to be the right one for the Leman yet, but since I have other guns that like 30 grains, it's not going to be idled if the Leman speaks differently. The horn tip was quite a bit wider at the spout end, but I reshaped it to get rid of the extra.

The loop at the end of the leather thong on the measure allows me to secure it directly to the horn the way I like them, plus I can move it to any horn I want.

Ask yourself this:  When it keeps on raining and you don't have enough lumber for an ark, what's a guy gonna do?  Think up excuses for making more bags, of course. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 30th 2017, 3:47 pm

How much to make me a bag? I gave away the last one I had.

Sorry, Jon. Crying or Very sad

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 30th 2017, 3:49 pm

Love the color of that bag! Looks like my new bag, nice and dark. Looks to be a great set up. About to go cut an antler once the rain stops and make myself a horn measure to hold 70gr Pyrodex P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 30th 2017, 4:51 pm

Bear Claw wrote:
How much to make me a bag?

I'm not in the business, but you can show it to any bag maker and they can gin one up for you. I can get real specific about dimensions if you need them.

There's about $25 in leather and hardware. The time needed to make it will vary with the maker, but I turned this one out in around 6 hours. So it boils down to figuring out how much the maker's time is worth.

The raw horn was a range find from our place in the Rockies, so lots of sentimental value but no cost. No hardware either, so you're only talking time. Figure a maker would have to pay $10-$15 for a decent small horn. This one took me a couple or three hours of hacking, but every horn is different and requires its own time to finish. Once again, back to the question of what you figure the maker's time is worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 30th 2017, 6:46 pm

I know what they get and I can't afford any that's worth having.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 6:52 am

@BrownBear wrote:
Bear Claw wrote:
How much to make me a bag?

I'm not in the business, but you can show it to any bag maker and they can gin one up for you. I can get real specific about dimensions if you need them.

There's about $25 in leather and hardware. The time needed to make it will vary with the maker, but I turned this one out in around 6 hours. So it boils down to figuring out how much the maker's time is worth.

The raw horn was a range find from our place in the Rockies, so lots of sentimental value but no cost. No hardware either, so you're only talking time. Figure a maker would have to pay $10-$15 for a decent small horn. This one took me a couple or three hours of hacking, but every horn is different and requires its own time to finish. Once again, back to the question of what you figure the maker's time is worth.

For the 30 grain measurer we have always started out with using the caliber size and making the measurer that size for starters. There's enough meat from your pictures that once you hit the load the Leman likes you can adjust your measurer with little effort.

Looks like the start of a new business. I know several of us are interested. That bag and horn are the perfect fit for your new GRRW.CA Leman. Nice set, figure out an approximate price that you and your customer can live with. You'll both be winners, nice work.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 7:15 am

I really enjoyed this post BB. I am gonna go over it more thoroughly later to 
see if I think I can follow along and get close to what you did at some point. 

But, I gotta bust your chops. That sweet rifle is not yours anymore. Your wife claimed it. queen

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 8:13 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
That sweet rifle is not yours anymore. Your wife claimed it. queen

We're still negotiating. The weather has been mostly foul, but on the good breaks I've been dragging her offshore to fish for king salmon.  In a week she's leaving and will be gone for a month, so my prospects have improved.  Of course, when she gets back I'll have to keep her distracted and have the discipline NOT to brag on the rifle. That may be tough. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 8:20 am

conner wrote:
Looks like the start of a new business. I know several of us are interested. That bag and horn are the perfect fit for your new GRRW.CA Leman. Nice set, figure out an approximate price that you and your customer can live with. You'll both be winners, nice work.

Nah. Don't have the time or ambition for yet another new business. We sold our last two about 5 years back and pocketed enough to retire with no intention of working again. Sides that, my hands are getting too arthritic to do two bags without a 3 or 4 day break between them. And I figure a guy would have to be building 2 bags a day, 6 days a week for a marginal living. One bag a day, and a guy would make more money working as a Walmart greeter.

Truth? I'm too busy being retired to start another business!  I'm sure willing to provide construction details and even photos of the pattern for that bag for anyone who wants to build their own or pass them along to a builder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 10:30 am

@BrownBear wrote:
@Kentucky Colonel wrote:

We're still negotiating. The weather has been mostly foul, but on the good breaks I've been dragging her offshore to fish for king salmon.  In a week she's leaving and will be gone for a month, so my prospects have improved.  Of course, when she gets back I'll have to keep her distracted and have the discipline NOT to brag on the rifle. That may be tough. Very Happy

I think we can arrange for another GRRW.CA build ....   Light Bulb

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 10:31 am

I posted the pattern for this bag here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 10:35 am

conner wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:
@Kentucky Colonel wrote:

I think we can arrange for another GRRW.CA build ....   Light Bulb

Oh yeah. Ron and I have been talking about that. I had a delightful 2-hour session with him and Jean at our favorite coffee shop on a lake. He's rebuilding a house right now, but his availability for another gun just might line right up with my schedule for convincing my wife I can buy another build! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 10:39 am

@BrownBear wrote:
conner wrote:

.... Sides that, my hands are getting too arthritic to do two bags without a 3 or 4 day break between them. 

Doc White and Carl Walker say they have the same problems with their hands, that's why they keep using them to keep their joints working.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 12:24 pm

conner wrote:
Doc White and Carl Walker say they have the same problems with their hands, that's why they keep using them to keep their joints working.

Truth is, mama has first call on what these hands are doing between bags! Cool

Of course, she has lots of say when it comes to bags, too.  She "ordered" a new camera bag with lens partitions and three outside pockets. I just now submitted plans for her approval, so with modifications added, you can guess what's next up on the construction schedule!  I don't dare let her see the fly fishing shoulder bag I built while she was gone last time, or one of those is likely to precede any more shooting bags.  She's tireless, I tell you! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   May 31st 2017, 2:36 pm

@BrownBear wrote:

Truth is, mama has first call on what these hands are doing between bags! Cool

Lordy. That sounds familiar. I think our wives are related. queen

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drkhorse

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   July 4th 2017, 2:16 pm

Hi BrownBear, I read with great interest about your Rainy Day Bag and very eager to make my own but the pix you posted are gone. Could you re-post or email to me the pix so I can make my own bag please?  Thanks.

Rainy Day Bag
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Day Bag   

Back to top Go down

Rainy Day Bag
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: