What size BP load?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 8:18 am

Howdy folks, Stoney here.
I thought I posted this once before, but upon looking over my posts, I don't see it? Too much sniffin' patch lube I guess? Here's my question.... Can anyone tell me what would be a good/Safe deer load of 2F under a .490" PRB at about 50-75 yards? If memory serves me, I think I used to use about 80 grs.? But I don't recall the brand of powder? I just remember that it came in a one pound, Red and White can about the size and shape of a Quart paint thinner can? It was back in the 70's. Memory is gone. Thanks guys.

Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 9:27 am

That sounds like the old Goex metal cans. It comes in plastic bottles now. 70-80gr of 2F is a good deer load for that range.

This is where I buy the powder.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 1:22 pm

Bear Claw wrote:
That sounds like the old Goex metal cans. It comes in plastic bottles now. 70-80gr of 2F is a good deer load for that range.

This is where I buy the powder.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Thanks Bear Claw
I don't know what the shipping costs are, but that's not bad. I have a gun store nearby that sells BP, but he's getting $23.00 a pound +sales tax @ 6% I believe you may be correct that it was Goex? Sounds right when I think back. Thanks as well for the load info. Blessings:
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 1:49 pm

Graf's has a good shipping rate, but there's no getting away from the Hazmat fee of $20 for every shipment. So, the more you buy the cheaper per pound it will be, because you're breaking up the Hazmat fee into how many pounds you buy.

If you buy from your local shop and only buy 1-2 pounds it's probably cheaper than buying online. I don't have an option but online. Nobody sells real black near me.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2017-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:28 pm

stoney1 wrote:

Thanks Bear Claw
I don't know what the shipping costs are, but that's not bad. I have a gun store nearby that sells BP, but he's getting $23.00 a pound +sales tax @ 6% I believe you may be correct that it was Goex? Sounds right when I think back. Thanks as well for the load info. Blessings:
Stoney

Compared to prices in my area, $23 + tax sounds like a bargain.  All of the places I checked get $27 to $30 a pound. 
You might check with your local gun clubs.  If there are BP shooters there, they may have a "connection".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:31 pm

$30lb is a total ripoff. I'd buy online instead.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:33 pm

Bear Claw wrote:
$30lb is a total ripoff. I'd buy online instead.

Yep but, I may have found a "connection" via my gun club.  We'll see how well it works out.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:36 pm

That's your best bet. I wish I had a club that was closer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:42 pm

Bear Claw, and rowdyjoe
I never thought of asking anyone from our local gun clubs. When I used to fly RC airplanes, the fuel was God awful expensive, then our local flying club started buying the components by the 55 gallon drum and mixing/selling their own to club members for about 1/10th. of what it cost at the hobby shop. Best idea they ever had! They made money...I saved money! WIN WIN. Thanks guys.
Stoney

Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:45 pm

I used to fly RC planes in Pattern Competition. That was fun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:54 pm

stoney1 wrote:
Bear Claw, and rowdyjoe
I never thought of asking anyone from our local gun clubs. When I used to fly RC airplanes, the fuel was God awful expensive, then our local flying club started buying the components by the 55 gallon drum and mixing/selling their own to club members for about 1/10th. of what it cost at the hobby shop. Best idea they ever had! They made money...I saved money! WIN WIN. Thanks guys.
Stoney

You're welcome.

Looks like we have something else in common.  I still fly RC planes and have installed gasoline engines on all but, one nitro plane and a couple of electrics.  Pump gas is FAR cheaper than nitro. 
I still fly some pattern when I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14532
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 3:56 pm

RC airplanes would be awesome, but sob! with my lucky, my first flight would go up in flames. Literally!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 4:07 pm

FrontierGander wrote:
RC airplanes would be awesome, but sob! with my lucky, my first flight would go up in flames. Literally!

That's what happened to me a lot when I first started.   Smile
Without good instruction and a flight simulator, it's bound to happen ....and everyone crashes eventually for one reason or another.  It's those great flights between crashes that keep us in the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 4:15 pm

Hi again guys
 I don't fly anymore. The stroke messed up my eye/hand coordination, but I have planes, motors, and radios here, some mine, some our son's. Yes, flying is sometimes disastrous Frontier Gander, I turned more than one plane back into a KIT :~)))) That's why my wife curbs my enthusiasm about buying more RC kits to build!! I'll stick with crafting hunting knives, sheathes, powder horns, and BP accessories. Looks like it's about dinner time here in my Time Zone? Be good guys. Oh, FG can you resend that link to your .50 cal. build I want to use it as a tutorial on some of your techniques, especially with that Birchwood Casey Walnut and Rusty Walnut stain, and the removing the case hardened blue from the lock. Thanks.
Blessings:
Stoney

stoney1

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 4:18 pm

rowdyjoe wrote:
FrontierGander wrote:

That's what happened to me a lot when I first started.   Smile
Without good instruction and a flight simulator, it's bound to happen ....and everyone crashes eventually for one reason or another.  It's those great flights between crashes that keep us in the game.

Yeah
Hard landings SUCK!!!!
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 4:23 pm

stoney1 wrote:
Howdy folks, Stoney here.
I thought I posted this once before, but upon looking over my posts, I don't see it? Too much sniffin' patch lube I guess? Here's my question.... Can anyone tell me what would be a good/Safe deer load of 2F under a .490" PRB at about 50-75 yards? If memory serves me, I think I used to use about 80 grs.? But I don't recall the brand of powder? I just remember that it came in a one pound, Red and White can about the size and shape of a Quart paint thinner can? It was back in the 70's. Memory is gone. Thanks guys.

Stoney

70-80gr 2fg would be perfect.

What rifle you shootin?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 4:28 pm

stoney1 wrote:
Hi again guys
 I don't fly anymore. The stroke messed up my eye/hand coordination, but I have planes, motors, and radios here, some mine, some our son's. Yes, flying is sometimes disastrous Frontier Gander, I turned more than one plane back into a KIT :~)))) That's why my wife curbs my enthusiasm about buying more RC kits to build!! I'll stick with crafting hunting knives, sheathes, powder horns, and BP accessories. Looks like it's about dinner time here in my Time Zone? Be good guys. Oh, FG can you resend that link to your .50 cal. build I want to use it as a tutorial on some of your techniques, especially with that Birchwood Casey Walnut and Rusty Walnut stain, and the removing the case hardened blue from the lock. Thanks.
Blessings:
Stoney

No problem!
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t10471-traditions-st-louis-hawken-build
Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   May 31st 2017, 7:59 pm

stoney1 wrote:

Thanks Bear Claw
Stoney

Get on line and look up the local black powder clubs in your part of PA. Pennsylvania has more local clubs than most states and a good state organization that can tell you who has the best price on black powder.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What size BP load?   

Back to top Go down

What size BP load?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: