View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Made some more ingots   June 3rd 2017, 12:49 pm

Forum member Marty send me a ton of lead pipe many years ago and I finally got what I had left, melted down. Rather than cut it into sections. I took a 5lb sledge hammer and put on a vise and hammered in flat, then round. Drop it into the 4lb lead pot, once its full, use heavy duty pliers and pull the big pipe out and then start using a ladle to scoop the molten lead into my ingot mold.

Made 17lbs today!

I have some misc lead straps and lead steel wool? that I will melt down later.

Time to go try the Hawken with some heavy loads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   June 4th 2017, 8:10 am

That's a grand stash of lead ingots for future molds.  Enough for over 600 pure balls... or many more with mixes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1375
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   July 31st 2017, 9:03 pm

Nice guys...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 12:58 am

That reminds me, I have over 100lbs of lead roof sheeting I need to melt down.
I've been using a pair of snips and cutting the edge then with pliers tearing a strip (almost 2 feet long) then cut that in half, roll it up and add to my pot.
Still have lots to go.
Going to be a busy fall Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 6:28 am

Now that's an interesting source of lead Sgt'...lead roof sheeting.  I would never have thought.  Lead sheeting typically meets specifications to be called pure lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 7:05 am

I have used a circular saw with a carbon blade installed backward (helps with the blade leading up). Wear a long sleeve shirt and face protection, it works.

Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 10:05 am

Absolutely the softest lead I've ever handled Marty, Well it is 1/8" sheet or thicker so probably why it's so soft. I also have about 120lbs of pure in 30lb blocks I need to smelt but I'm still working on the 40 or 50lbs I already smelted. 
I wish I had time to shoot more lol. 

The circular blade. That's for the lead sheeting Conner?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 11:23 am

Crap ... I thought the subject title said - "Made some more idiots"...  Sorry - "ingots" ....  some days you should stay in bed .... pale  Rolling Eyes  Boy I could think of several .... tongue

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 11:46 am

Sgt Recoil wrote:
The circular blade. That's for the lead sheeting Conner?

We have cut 1/2" sheets, 3" lead balls and pretty must anything lead, had a great resource - telephone cable lead and the lead pots contents for years. A case of beer on a Friday night at a company garage got splicers and construction guys attention. I would let them know I was in the area and all I had to say was "see ya on Friday evening". The trades were on ....  I finally sold my 40 lb. pot and propane heater for the pot along with all the original mid 1800's "St. Louis" shot tower molds to a kid that lived out away from town. You need good air flow with that big pot and melting 40 pounds at one time which was refilled several times each day during the weekends.

Had a metal buyer contact us in the mid 80's and ask if we would be interested in some lead sheets 2' X 8' X 4" cut from the floor of a atomic submarine that had a melt down at the navy yard in San Diego. Hell yes we'll be there to have it loaded, took a 2 ton truck with a tag trailer for the job. Made three trips for that sheet.

We melted and sold all sizes of lead shapes from the Lewis & Clark lead cylinders that held powder to just lead bars cast from the original molds. Reenactors would buy these bars 10 at a time, postage was more than the purchase. Finally after 20 years of lungs being full of the lead smell I was done. :tdown2  If you see "period lead bars or L&C lead cylinders" advertised for sale be aware there's a good chance we cast them or the guy that got our setup did, not the original as advertised by some traders. :shh

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 1:18 pm

I scrounge odd bits of pure lead, most recently a single folded up sheet of lead roofing weighing close to 200#. I have 4 different gang molds for 1# ingots spanning the last 50 years, each casting a different brand into each ingot.

That's important to me, because I also have sources of lead that's not so pure. I can tell at a glance what kind of lead is used, with my Lyman reserved for ingots of pure lead.

A couple of years back (hint for a great source!) our local indoor handgun range was cleaning and clearing the traps on their backstops. They usually sell the stuff (10 cents a pound), but sales have lagged in resent years and they're swimming in lead.  They called me up to see if I wanted any for free. "How much?" asks I. "How big is your truck?" asks they.  Squatted the tires both times on two trips with my old beater 3/4 ton. I say a ton, but odds are it's closer to two.

I lose 5-10% to jackets and dust, but not bad for free lead. Hardness is well short of wheelweights due to all the 22 and jacketed rounds in the mix, but I haven't borrowed my hardness tester back from the guy who borrowed it a couple of years back. Rolling Eyes I use a big propane turkey roaster burner and large dutch oven to smelt 50# lots for ingots, though the bulk of it goes for fishing weights and jigs mostly ranging 8 to 32 ounces apiece.

The alloy is soft enough that it casts just barely oversize from pure lead, so close that I don't have to go to a thinner patch as required when using wheelweights and such. Don't notice a speck of difference in accuracy or performance on game.

Long story made longer, if you have an indoor range within driving range, check in with them. If you're willing to match scrap prices, they're likely to let you step in line ahead of the scrap yards for a whole lot of lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 6th 2017, 4:18 pm

BrownBear wrote:
Long story made longer, if you have an indoor range within driving range, check in with them. If you're willing to match scrap prices, they're likely to let you step in line ahead of the scrap yards for a whole lot of lead.

A couple of range owners near here call when they have cleaned out their traps, we do a trade of 2 for 1 (they get the 1% plus split cost of propane). I'm probably getting about $1.00 an hour for my time, that's fine. Smile

Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 8th 2017, 12:58 pm

I have lots of lead, Lyman and Lee pots, molds, and lack of initiative.

Read to much too do. WHAT!

Not so. I'm retired so no excuses.

I better get busy.

I have a Marlin 30-30 and that caliber is perrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for cast boolets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 10th 2017, 7:06 am

"I have a Marlin 30-30 and that caliber is perrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for cast boolets."

How are they with the "Microgroove rifling".
I've read they can't be pushed too fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 18th 2017, 3:23 pm

That's true and they are a bitch cleaning the lead out of :Grace ....

Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 18th 2017, 9:13 pm

Fconner wrote:

I'll bet it is. I only only have Winchesters and Henry's, they shoot cast boolits really good Shooter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   August 23rd 2017, 6:47 am

Sgt Recoil wrote:
Fconner wrote:

I'll bet it is. I only only have Winchesters and Henry's, they shoot cast boolits really good Shooter

Don't ever use small caliber bullets that move at high speed. I tried some cast lead bullets in a 218 Bee, what a mess to clean the lead out of a Marlin micro lined bore. :tdown2

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Made some more ingots   

Back to top Go down

Made some more ingots
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles-
Jump to: