Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rowdyjoe

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2017-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 10th 2017, 9:06 pm

I have modified the broken trigger spring on my original trigger assembly by deepening and slightly enlarging the crescent shaped hole.  I used a small swiss file to mod the half-hole so it would fit further under the bolt/screw.  It seems to be working OK so far.  I thread locked the main spring bolt/screw so it won't work loose while firing ....hopefully. 
There's something weird going on here.  The trigger assy and lock assy worked together fine before I took the rifle apart but, after repairing both, they no longer fit well.  I'm still using the original trigger assembly that came with the rifle but, when I reassembled the action, the hammer would not engage half cock or cock.  I removed the trigger assy to check the fit of the trigger leaf to the sear arm and the found that the leaf(s) was interfering with the sear and not allowing it to engage.  I had to modify the sear arm/spur that contacts the trigger leaf because the fit was too close.  It looks like it had been modified before by a previous owner by adding a tab (approx. 1/2") to the end of the sear arm because it was too far from the trigger leaf(s).  Basically, I had to remove most of what was added ....about 1/4". 
I'm guessing the sear must have changed positions when I replaced the spring.  Don't have a clue as to how that is possible.  Nothing I can see is broken or bent but, it's like the sear is cocked back approx. 1/4" from the position it was in before I replaced the sear spring.  ??????
Any ideas about this puzzle?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 6:47 pm

Took her to the range today and got to fire 4 rounds before the lock malfunctioned.  Inspection at home revealed the sear spring rotated up and was not pushing the sear into engagement.  Don't yet know how I'm going to fix that but, I found a couple of slightly loose screws and that may have caused/contributed to the problem.  I'm thinking about a new lock.
I also had trouble with the no. 11 caps (CCI magnum) misfiring.  It seems the hammer struck them hard enough as they showed an indentation but, could not get even one to fire.  I happen to have some no. 10s (Remington) on hand and they worked but, also had one misfire with those.  Beginning to wonder if my hammer strike is not hard enough ....or if I bought some bad caps. ?????  Would it be safe to unscrew the nipple about 1/2 to 1 turn?

I hit a 17" X 11.5" target at 50 yds. four times.  I wouldn't call it a group, more like a gathering.  Smile  First two hit approx. 8 to 10" to the right, 3rd shot hit approx. 1" left and the 4th shot was about 6" high.  Don't know why it jumped from left to right like that but, I do know that my patches were too thin (not very tight in the bore), too large, and too soft.  Got to get different material for patches and cut them smaller.

I ran about 4 wet patches (water and dish soap) down the bore at the range and then took it home to clean and inspect.  I used the same solution at home and thought I had the bore clean until I inspected it with a light.  Wow, nasty.  So, I got out the cleaning solvent and a .50 cal. bore brush.  Scrubbing with the brush followed by a patch revealed a nasty mess in the bore that took a while to get clean.  I "think" it's clean now. 
Looking forward to another trip to the range later this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 6:59 pm

New lock and trigger.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 7:06 pm

Yeah, I think you're right.  I have a new trigger but, the main spring is broken.  I need to call Deer Creek and get that replaced.  A new lock is probably in order. Deer Creek lock or L&R ?  If I go with L&R, will I also need their trigger assy to work with their lock or will the Deer Creek lock work OK with it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 7:09 pm

I'd talk to L&R if they ever get back online. You might have to do a little inletting to get it to work, but it's a better lock.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 7:15 pm

OK Pete.  Thanks for the input.  I think the L&R web site is back on-line.  Just heard it from another forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 7:25 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 12th 2017, 7:45 pm

Right, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 13th 2017, 10:01 pm

Update:
Sent the broken trigger assembly back to Deer Creek for replacement this morning.  Hope they return a new one quickly.  The main trigger spring on this new one snapped across the bolt hole while I was adjusting it.  Don't know what metal these springs are made of but, it's very brittle.

Close inspection of the sear in the factory lock revealed that it is broken.  The nose (part that contacts the tumbler) was ragged and uneven so, I attempted to dress it up with a swiss file.  It didn't help and may have made it worse.  So, I ordered a new lock this evening from Deer Creek and I hope to have it by Sat. or Monday. 
On a positive note, my experimental "fix" for the broken main trigger spring on the factory assembly (or at least the one that came with the rifle) seems to be holding.  It survived the short shooting session so, maybe it will last a while.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 15th 2017, 11:37 am

Forgot to mention that I finally got the old nipple out of the bolster.  I tried using a new nipple wrench and it wouldn't budge even after using a heat gun (very hot).  I finally clamped on it with a pair of vice grips and carefully turned it after getting it really hot with the heat gun.  It was difficult to turn but, it finally came loose.  First thing I noticed was the crud all over the threads (thread lock?) in the hole and on the nipple.  I cleaned that up with a bore brush and solvent and the new nipple screwed right in with no problem.  I put anti-seize compound on the threads this time. 
Second thing I noticed was the large hole in the end of the nipple.  Compared to the new nipple I bought, the hole was huge.  Wonder why the difference?
Due to the issue with the caps failing to fire, I've ordered a Spitfire nipple hoping it will cure the failure to fire problem with the no. 11 caps.  Both no. 11 and no. 10 caps fit fairly loose on the Traditions brand stainless nipple I installed. 

Waiting for the new lock assy and trigger assy ....and they can't get here fast enough.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 16th 2017, 5:11 pm

I just found the "Gun Works Muzzle-loading Emporium" web site (in Oregon) and I see they have individual lock parts for CVA rifles. I've found a sear for a CVA Hawken and am wondering if it will fit the lock in my rifle ?
Anyone have experience with these parts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:04 pm

The new lock from Deer Creek arrived this afternoon and I'll need to do a bit of fitting.  There is a shoulder around the forward bolt hole about 1/4" in diameter and depth/height on the new lock plate.  So, I'll need to recess and enlarge the hole in the stock to allow the lock plate to fit flush.  After that, everything should fit snug. 
I also noticed the fly in the new lock it made of much thinner material and mounted on the outside (away from the lock plate) of the tumbler.  All seems to work well but, will be able to tell more when I get it installed.  I'm hoping the trigger assembly will match up alright without major work.  We'll soon see.

Picture:  Old on top ...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:21 pm

Quite a few differences. Look at the bend of the main spring.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:29 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Also, just discovered that the front bolt hole does not go all the way through and now both lock securing bolts are about 3/16 too long.  Gonna have to saw a bit off of one to make it fit.  This operation is just full of surprises and I haven't tried to fit the trigger assy yet.  Smile  I guess it could be a lot worse.

Just measured and the bolt is .140" too long.

Last edited by rowdyjoe on June 19th 2017, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:31 pm

You should have bought a kit and built the gun from scratch.Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:33 pm

I'm begging to think so to too. 
On the other hand, I don't have to do near as much wood carving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 3:39 pm

It would have been easier than what you've been through.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 5:52 pm

Bear Claw wrote:

Oh, I don't know BC.  I can pretty much mess up anything I touch.  Smile  Although, I usually get it worked out in the end. 

The lock has been fitted and the old trigger assembly (with experimental main spring repair)  is installed and working but, not to my liking.  I'm now waiting for the return of the new trigger assy I sent back to Deer Creek due to a broken main spring.  USPS says they got it Friday but, don't know if they have sent a new one yet.  I plan to call them tomorrow afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 10:39 pm

rowdyjoe wrote:
Bear Claw wrote:
I sent back to Deer Creek due to a broken main spring.  USPS says they got it Friday but, don't know if they have sent a new one yet.  I plan to call them tomorrow afternoon.
I bet your famous at Deer Creek after all of this going on ....   affraid   Mad  Cool  confused

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 19th 2017, 11:25 pm

conner wrote:
rowdyjoe wrote:
Bear Claw wrote:
I sent back to Deer Creek due to a broken main spring.  USPS says they got it Friday but, don't know if they have sent a new one yet.  I plan to call them tomorrow afternoon.
I bet your famous at Deer Creek after all of this going on ....   affraid   Mad  Cool  confused

Famous?  Infamous?  Object of pointing and giggles?  All of the above?   Embarassed

Actually, I bought two products from them and sent one back because the main trigger spring was defective.  Not much to create a fuss over really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 22nd 2017, 5:40 pm

The trigger assembly arrived today.  Thank you Deer Creek for the Excellent service

I installed the trigger assembly and after a bit of adjustment, it's working like a champ.  I now have an operational rifle and I'm all set to make smoke this coming Sat.    Very Happy

Range report to follow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 22nd 2017, 5:42 pm

Don't break it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 22nd 2017, 11:54 pm

I won't.  Not on purpose anyway.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 23rd 2017, 6:04 am

rowdyjoe wrote:
I won't.  Not on purpose anyway.  Smile
Now that remark is Famous, how many times have we heard that through out history.  confused

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   June 26th 2017, 12:55 pm

Didn't get to got the range Sat. as we had rain and Tstorms most of the day.  Won't get to go 'til Wed. now as I have Dr. appts. today and tomorrow.  The good part is, the mud at the target line will have a chance to dry out a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?   

Back to top Go down

Rifle Arrived Today - Problems Already - Minor ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: