Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   June 21st 2017, 8:11 pm

conner wrote:

Here you go Pete

Well, you already know I like it. Very Happy

Pete? You gonna be OK seeing all those Hawkens at the same time? Wink

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   July 20th 2017, 7:46 am

The photo bucket debacle claimed all the photos in this thread. Here are a couple to anchor it... 

Doc White and Carl Walker hold Traveler

First firing

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   July 20th 2017, 7:55 am

Thanks for that.  It's important to keep alive photos of such a good gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   August 27th 2017, 3:50 pm

KC your rifle "Traveler" is gathering others 1970's like your GRRW Hawken kit, several more have joined the ranks.

GRRW CA will be building these guns also with the double stamps like yours, one was sitting in a bedroom closet that the family had forgotten about. Carl Walker was called as he knows the family having lived a short distance from him for 50 years. 

THE 2017 GRRW Rendezvous has the folks in Roosevelt and Vernal Utah seeing if they have a GRRW gun stored away to bring out and show off. GRRW sold many rifles to those neighbors knowing Doc White and wanting to help out with a purchase. :tup2

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   August 27th 2017, 5:11 pm

conner wrote:
KC your rifle "Traveler" is gathering others 1970's like your GRRW Hawken kit, several more have joined the ranks.

GRRW CA will be building these guns also with the double stamps like yours, one was sitting in a bedroom closet that the family had forgotten about. Carl Walker was called as he knows the family having lived a short distance from him for 50 years. 

THE 2017 GRRW Rendezvous has the folks in Roosevelt and Vernal Utah seeing if they have a GRRW gun stored away to bring out and show off. GRRW sold many rifles to those neighbors knowing Doc White and wanting to help out with a purchase. :tup2

Well, I suppose I am a proud papa. Where did all these kids come from! lol
That double stamped thing was a good idea, eh? Proud to have the first.

It was nice being Tigger for a while. Sings- 
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers is... 
Iiiiii'm the only one. Yes, I'm the only one!" 

However, more of them means there is more weight to the story as the tale of Traveler compels 
folk to look under their beds and closets for GRRW gold! Heck, I have been looking, too! You should 
amend your article submission!

I LOVE mine. I'm glad others will have the chance to own one like Traveler, too. 
Death Wish was first. Traveler was first. That makes me pretty dang lucky and in 
rare company.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   August 28th 2017, 5:37 am

With GRRW there have been some strange stampings over the years, many "firsts" one could say. I liked some of the inlaid name plates with GRRW stamp and a name set in real gold or silver plates, that really stood out. Fun times....

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   August 28th 2017, 7:08 am

conner wrote:
With GRRW there have been some strange stampings over the years, many "firsts" one could say.

My 58 cal is certainly different than any I've seen in person or in photos, though at a glance it strongly resembles Traveler.  For one thing, Ron's name is stamped out in full on the bottom flat of the barrel:  Ron Paull.  Not his usual symbol.  For another, it's a left handed stock with a right handed lock. Suits me, because I'm a lefty.  Barrel is 36" tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle.  Yeah, it's a heavy sucker at over 12#.  Sad to say, the previous owner apparently mounted a tang sight at some point, with the rear screw running directly into the stock. A wart, but one I can live with. 

I'll try to find time for photos this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   August 28th 2017, 5:46 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
Quote :
For another, it's a left handed stock with a right handed lock. Suits me, because I'm a lefty.  Barrel is 36" tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle. 
Have seen one like the configuration mentioned and heard of several others like it now with collector's. Carl said there weren't any special guide lines, so you may see such happenings. ear bug

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....   

Back to top Go down

Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Corner-
Jump to: