Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Tried out a flash cup    June 7th 2017, 7:40 pm

WOW what a difference! I hate the look of it on my rifle and damn sure won't hunt with a funnel around the nipple that will bring moisture directly around the nipple, but for range work, its a great little gadget!

I bought a couple from deer creek for something like $2.76 or in that range.

Supposedly they are made to help the caps flash from hitting you in the face. I have had it happen from time to time, but what I like most about it is the fact that the brass cup takes all the fouling and the cap will no longer scorch my stock or have a thick build up of cap residue on top of the stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2086
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Tried out a flash cup    June 8th 2017, 6:46 am

Use to see them at Friendship Nationals, shooters claimed it prevented spent caps from flying and maybe hitting another shooter. I have used them on a couple target rifles in the under .40 caliber guns and found if a cap sticks after being shot it can be a little trouble removing the cap. Otherwise on larger caliber guns they worked fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
BrownBear

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Tried out a flash cup    June 8th 2017, 8:53 am

One thing to keep in mind. They're more like "blanks" in that they're made high enough to work on all guns.  You can shorten them quite a bit and they'll still work as advertised.

I shoot lefty, and right-hand guns with bolsters shower sparks and fragments down on my right arm. Worse yet, I often creep my hand pretty far back, so even with long sleeves, I can get lots of hot stuff down a cuff.

I've never had any problems with stuff flying back at my face with percussion caps, but that stuff going down is an issue every time I pop a cap. I've never had any trouble removing stuck caps though, because through experimentation they can be cut down lower than the top of the nipple and work just fine. I bet mine aren't even 1/4" high after filing, yet they work great for arm saving and I still don't get a face full.

They're cheap, so try shortening one and see what you think. If it doesn't work out on your gun, you haven't lost much. I don't particularly like the sight of the brass right there, but I've never seen one made of steel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tried out a flash cup    

Back to top Go down

Tried out a flash cup
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: