Share | 

Binocular Case

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrownBear

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Binocular Case   June 9th 2017, 3:23 pm

Dunno if this is the right place for this, but I'll start here. If the moderators have a better place or don't want it, move it or ditch it.

Meanwhile, traditional or not, most of us carry binoculars on hunts as well as to the range.  And they can sure get trashed. And the small ones worst of all.  I'm particularly fond of my ancient little Zeiss 10x25B, which have survived 30 years of trashing. Dunno how I kept from losing them, cuzz the factory case died in the first year and they've been hanging around my neck or flopping in a pocket ever since. And they're starting to look it.

Another for the Dunno List. Dunno why it never occurred before to me to fix that problem. Write it off to our run of rotten weather, but I decided to make a case last night.

The leather is black Stoned Oil Tan from Tandy, which is pretty thin in spite of it's 4-5oz rating. Most of us think of the oz rating refers to thickness, but in this case it's actual weight of a square foot. And being saturated with oils and waxes, it's just heavier. In thickness it's more like 2-3oz.

That's important because it's also soft. I doubled the thickness of the front and back for more protection while leaving the sides, flap and bottom single ply. It's finished with a saturating coat of Fiebing's Atom Wax, a precaution I take because it makes the stuff even more waterproof. 

Here's the pics. Even if it will live mostly in a pocket on hunts so it won't hang up in thick brush, I added a belt loop because I use binoculars a lot even when not on hunts in the brush.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   June 11th 2017, 1:47 pm

Thats a great case I need to get off my butt and make one for myself my binoculars are getting trashed too.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2086
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   June 18th 2017, 10:43 am

I have used a case like this for 10 years and still like it over others tried.

Badlands Ultra Lite Case.

A friend refers to my old case as the "Bad Ass" case, then laughs about the name !!! Freekin' "Nut Case".

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 27th 2017, 11:44 pm

I'd like to see the picture again! I need to make a case for mine as my nylon crap broke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 5:39 am

No pics of the case. Let's see what you got.

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 6:54 am

The Badlands Bino Case Zipper is a revolutionary new way to carry your expensive binoculars. This Bino case is now made with a zipper, not magnets like the other Bino cases available from Badlands. It is fully padded with multiple internal pockets, a built-in lens cleaner and a drop down hydration system (1 Liter H20 reservoir). With the two-inch-wide neoprene shoulder straps, you will be able to glass all day with zero pain!

Have used one of these for several years now, easy carry and good quality.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 9:47 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
No pics of the case. Let's see what you got.
Yeah, they got caught up in the Photobucket fiasco.  I've actually posted two different cases, one a modern version for small binocs and the other a recreation (near as I could get from a single museum photo) of a pre-Civil War case.  Here's a couple or three of each:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 10:15 am

wow that second one is simply drop dead gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 12:02 pm

Thanks!  It's housing modern binoculars, but my ambition is to find good quality repro binoculars from the same (1850's) era.  That's harder than making the case! 

Sure I can look good with any of the $39 or $59 models floating around, but I want mine of good quality and useful, even somewhat waterproof.  Something tells me $59 isn't going to cut it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 1:38 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
Thanks!  It's housing modern binoculars, but my ambition is to find good quality repro binoculars from the same (1850's) era.  That's harder than making the case! 

Sure I can look good with any of the $39 or $59 models floating around, but I want mine of good quality and useful, even somewhat waterproof.  Something tells me $59 isn't going to cut it! Very Happy

Go to the Civil War reenactors websites they usually have what your looking for.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   July 28th 2017, 1:55 pm

conner wrote:
Go to the Civil War reenactors websites they usually have what your looking for.

Good tip. Thanks! 

Most important, I bet they have reviews and comments.  That's what I've been missing.

Any site recommendations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Binocular Case   

Back to top Go down

Binocular Case
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: