Share | 

CVA Firebolt Ultramag help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rickdillard

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-05-07

PostSubject: CVA Firebolt Ultramag help   July 2nd 2017, 8:19 am

I have a .45 caliber CVA Firebolt Ultramag (nickel plated barrel with synthetic stock).  Thanks to FrontierGander's recommendation in a previous post, I changed to a Kodiak/Optima breech plug (AC1678a) and added an o-ring to be able to shoot BH209 powder.  The gun now shoots BH209 without any problems.

I would now like to improve the accuracy.  The group size varies, but sometimes is around 3 inches at 100 yards.  I would like to improve that.  The scope rings are snug.  I am currently shooting a 200 gr. SST bullet in front of 90 gr. BH209.  The barrel presently fits tight in the forearm of the stock, resting on a series of "ribs" or "cradles". Could this tight fit possibly be affecting the accuracy?  If so, is it possible to free float the barrel?  How would I go about doing this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Firebolt Ultramag help   July 2nd 2017, 11:58 am

Rick, remove that plastic from the stock channel thats rubbing against the sides and under the barrel. I normally used a few pop can shims under the lug to lift the barrel up and then everything was good to go.

Here's one that shows how to do this, Marty also has his pictures to help out as well.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t25-winchester-x-150-accuracy-improver-awesome?highlight=hunterbolt
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
dr1445

Male Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-05-02

PostSubject: Re: CVA Firebolt Ultramag help   July 2nd 2017, 4:45 pm

i used the section of a  wood handle from an old broom and wrapped some 80 grit around it to clean out the barrel channel.  it only took a few minutes. i have not got around to the jb weld yet, it seems to shoot ok as is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Firebolt Ultramag help   

Back to top Go down

CVA Firebolt Ultramag help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: