New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle   July 4th 2017, 5:11 pm

The factory sight was a wee bit to close to my eye for perfection, so I looked around and ordered 2 CVA Bobcat rear sights and just now tapped one into place. LOVE IT! About as perfect as I could ask for.

One thing I may have to do if I have any issues, is take a triangle file and file the opening a little bit so some light comes around the sides. Right now though, everything looks ok. We'll know for sure at 100 yards.

Factory Sight,

Replacement sight, http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p5/Bobcat_Rear_Sight.html

Last edited by FrontierGander on July 9th 2017, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle   July 5th 2017, 1:11 pm

Okay, I started with the percussion mountain rifle at 50 yards and was hitting a bit low and to the left.

But first, look at the sight above, the V was very shallow and so I used a small triangle jewelers file and carefully added some depth and width, keeping the file straight with the barrel. De-burred it afterward and I have a nice V notch with plenty of light shining through the sides.

Accuracy wise and sight picture are now perfect for my eyes and allow for pin point accuracy.

I kept drifting the rear sight to the right and noticed some dovetail was starting to show. It then hit me that the original rifle this sight comes on, has a 7/8" barrel while the mountain rifle has a 15/16" barrel. Not a huge deal! Just maybe .015-.020" of the dovetail is exposed. IF THAT. I just am taking a wild guess at measurement.

Now I will mark that space with a white paint, knock the sight out, brown it and zero it in dead on at 50.

The mountain rifle is shooting 2" low at 50 yards. I expected that I would have to shave the front sight down a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle   July 5th 2017, 6:18 pm

Clever idea FG and nice work.  :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle   

Back to top Go down

New updated REAR sight for Traditions Mountain Rifle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: