Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Anti-Rust patch lube

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 15th 2017, 11:26 pm

Was out shooting with my dad and brother today. My brother is using his 54cal cva hawken for his cow elk and while out on the range I ran out of patches. Luckily he still had a few in the patch box from last year. ZERO issues! They still looked and felt as they did when I lubed them. Last year!

Going to treat my barrel with the lube now so I don't have as much to do come September 9th.

Also have a ton of supplies coming in to get ready for the upcoming hunting seasons. I got hit hard with sales yesterday and the day before. I was starting to sweat for a bit as the stock #'s were going down. Ordered double what I normally do this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2643
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 17th 2017, 8:34 am

Keep your stock up Jon, nothing makes a customer get pissed off more than having to wait on a back order when their season is getting close.  bounce   Twisted Evil   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
jeager106

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 8:35 am

FROG LUBE.
Wonderful stuff.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/660304/froglube-clp-bio-based-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-liquid?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting%20-%20Gun%20Cleaning-_-FrogLube-_-660304

BALLISTOL.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/16-oz-liquid-sku982000003-22502-48119.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-982-000-003&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=982-000-003

I'm not promoting Brownells just posting what the stuff is.

Both are bio based, non petroleum products.
I use 'em both on all my firearms, not just Holy Black Powder guns.
 A few drops of Ballistol in clean water, ( I use distilled from the grocery store ) cleans black 
powder residue.
By the by. About 50% of Holy Black is left in the bore as solids and is hygroscopic.
That means the junk left in the bore absorbs water from the air.
It isn't the Holy Black that is corrosive as much as the residue that absorbs moisture.

DO NOT use Ballistol in your house if you want to stay with your significant other.
It STINKS.
Well I don't think so but she who must be obeyed does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 8:49 am

IMO Ballistol is highly overrated. Barricade and RIG are much better for rust resistance and soap & water are perfectly adequate to clean the barrel although I use some 409 mixed with it.

None of these products stink like Ballistol. Hoppe's #9 is the only 'stink' that I think smells good.  :rtup

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 9:33 am

All the forum members have opinions on Cleaning and/or Rust Preventative products.  I've used a bunch with varying results.  I purchased a can of Ballistol after reading good things on the forum.  I used it to clean my Remington V3 autoloader and black powder rifles and I thought it worked great.  At the range shooting black powder I still like swabbing the bores with T/C No. 13 or T/C T17 bore cleaner.   However since Jon introduced his Ani-Rust and Patch Lube that's what I apply on the rifles inside and out for rust prevention.  It really protected good while deer hunting in rain, snow and cold temps.

Bob, Hoppe's #9 STINKS!   Laughing

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 9:43 am

tried that ballistol. Way over rated. Pulled rust from the pours while it sits in storage was a huge gimmick. Its  little more than mineral oil and a whole lotta stink lol. Actually, the smell reminds me of those big black beetles we have around here.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 9:53 am

Another cleaner I tried (because Bear Claw praised it) was "Bore Tec Eliminator Bore Cleaner".  I was real disappointed in that product.  Nothing special or better over anything else.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 10:00 am

by the way guys, I was up till 4am the other day making lube. I had made so much that the storage area i keep it in was filled completely lol.

That's why I made my own stuff joe. Everything this and that is good, try it and you deal with rust or petroleum. I know what goes into mine and how it works, so if something goes wrong, I can fire myself lol.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 10:04 am

For me Jon....the product works both for rust prevention and patch lube.  I'm happy!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 10:25 am

"Bob, Hoppe's #9 STINKS! Laughing"

Yeah, but it stinks good not bad.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1651
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 12:19 pm

@patocazador wrote:
"Bob, Hoppe's #9 STINKS!   Laughing"

Yeah, but it stinks good not bad.

Hope's #9 reminds me of my childhood... sitting around on the floor cleaning my Dad's guns. 
I had to use newspapers in thick piles because my Mom was worried about the floor. 

Ballistol is my go to. I like it a lot. I use other products, but if I had to choose one 
commercial one? This would be it. I am not over-fond of the odor.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2643
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   July 24th 2017, 3:32 pm

Quote :
FROG LUBE.
LIKE SAID OVER RATED
BALLISTOL.
LIKE SAID OVER RATED
HOPPE'S #9
OVER RATED WITH BETTER PRODUCTS AVAILABLE TODAY.

The reason I say this is having worked with the experts at the Colorado Springs Olympic Committee for several years and the detailed reports they provided on these and several other products. They developed their own cleaning solutions used on the weapons for the Olympic Teams. Making their shooting patches I figured they would share their product information - WRONG they didn't want any other countries team to get hold of their research.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Rust patch lube   

Back to top Go down

Anti-Rust patch lube
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: