Knives and the Modern Shooter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   July 28th 2017, 4:03 pm

No sir...don't want a .22 at all but I do carry this in a pocket holster. It's a .380 and with TSX cartridges it's plenty lethal! It's 7 shot...double action every time and the pocket holster protects the trigger which is rather hard but it's designed that way! Also tote a Sig 9MM! I guess you could call me a 'Safety Man'! Quite accurate I might add!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 12th 2017, 8:22 pm

I usually carry one of these three as a everyday carry knife.
What kills me at work ( I teach in a High School Life Skills Class ) is that someone will ask if I can cut this , slice that , open some other thing etc ...
Then invariably ask "Why do you carry a knife?"
Andy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1721
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 7:24 am

I carry a pocket knife, but why bring a knife to a gun fight? Besides the knife (a folder with the changeable razor blade) I have carried some kind of a firearm for over 50 years. For the past 7-8 years I've carried either a Sig P938 or a Les Baer 1911, sometimes both.

Sig Sauer P938 with extended mag.

Les Baer Custom 1911 Government with extended mag.

Both are in Luger 9MM loaded with 124 grain hollow points of one of several different manufactures.

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 9:03 am

@AndyinEverson wrote:
I usually carry one of these three as a everyday carry knife.
What kills me at work ( I teach in a High School Life Skills Class ) is that someone will ask if I can cut this , slice that , open some other thing etc ...
Then invariably ask "Why do you carry a knife?"
Andy

That silver one... 

Dad had one like that from the Navy. I took it out and borrowed it and left it outside on the ground in the grass. 
It was not found again until much later. The rust ruined it. I was 11... He still complains about it to this day. 
I can't look at one without wincing. Neutral

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 9:06 am

You see them all the time at the Army-Navy Surplus Stores, don't be so much of a cheap turd, get him a new one. Very Happy

AndyinEverson

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 9:10 am

Second the notion to get your dad a replacement ... Issued ones are still to be found and in the $40-$60 dollar range , depending vintage , where I live.

Mine "followed" me home after my service in the Army...Seems like its still in service since.
Andy

RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 10:30 am

I loves me Leatherman Wave.
Along with the Leatherman, I have an attachment that permits use of screwdriver bits. I use it all the time. Not as useful as the Leatherman, my old Schrade foldable knife is dear to me. Nostalgia equals practicality sometimes
I brought two small multitools on the trip I am on (on the way home at the moment). Useless. Utterly, totally useless. The scissors couldn't cut a nose hair. The blade has no right being called a knife - unless you are cutting butter. The screwdriver was screwed up after the first use.
Ron (on an aircraft flying over Greenland)

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 11:08 am

@RonC wrote:
The scissors couldn't cut a nose hair......

That's correct, but it will cut your nose tissue when going after hair (damn thing can really hurt you).... affraid  2c

AndyinEverson

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   August 13th 2017, 6:18 pm

A at  one time , every deployment / Field Exercise carry.
Its a BlackJack model 5 , that I carried while in the Army.
5 1/2 carbon steel blade and a stacked leather handle.
Still does service every once in awhile camping , hunting and the like.
Andy

csitas

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   September 25th 2017, 8:49 pm

Ron , you might piss someone of that got hit with your concealed carry but, they'll die die from the pneumonia that hey get from the hole it made.Don't have to worry about a quick reload either. 69 cal ==12 gauge wow.

m
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   September 25th 2017, 10:14 pm

I get intimidated just looking down the bore of that old cavalry pistol!

Of course, looking down the wrong end of a firearm can give an exaggerated sense of the size of the ammo. When I was held at 12 ga shotgun point while working at a mine site in Brazil, I could have sworn that the gun was equal to an M114 155mm Howitzer. It made me quite anxious. Shocked
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   September 26th 2017, 7:45 am

@AndyinEverson wrote:
A at  one time , every deployment / Field Exercise carry.
Its a BlackJack model 5 , that I carried while in the Army.
5 1/2 carbon steel blade and a stacked leather handle.
Still does service every once in awhile camping , hunting and the like.
Andy
Damn Andy you kept that knife, I let mind get away to a nephew. Now seeing yours makes me want my old knife back.....

csitas

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   October 4th 2017, 5:36 pm

I'll tell you what , with five 22 shorts in you lungs , I don't see you being very tough for long.Maybe one could go wild and strike the fore head. I lost a cousin with the damm tiny slug. He and another thought the gun was unloaded, a single shot no less. I'm not saying the 22 is not the weapon of choice . I would prefer 22 long rifle,but with one ,I am not backing down.I shoot a bit more than average and can say can that at  10 to 20 feet I can empty a clip and never leave the target. Try that with a 45.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   October 28th 2017, 8:14 pm

Quote :

Kentucky Colonel
Dad had one like that from the Navy. I took it out and borrowed it and left it outside on the ground in the grass. 
It was not found again until much later. The rust ruined it. I was 11... He still complains about it to this day. 
I can't look at one without wincing. 

Buck Conner
You see them all the time at the Army-Navy Surplus Stores, don't be so much of a cheap turd, get him a new one. Very Happy

AndyinEverson
Second the notion to get your dad a replacement ... Issued ones are still to be found and in the $40-$60 dollar range , depending vintage , where I live.

I took the advice. It took some time to find a replacement. After getting owned on eBay several times for a 
real vintage Camillus, I found this one made by Colonial Knives.

Dad gets it as a birthday present and it should arrive tomorrow.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   October 28th 2017, 8:31 pm

That was very thoughtful of you to spend the time and energy to get your Dad such a nice gift.
Ron

stoney1
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 1:17 pm

@RonC wrote:
As a muzzleloader fanatic, I understand the need for a knife, whether for practical uses like patch cutting or as part of a historical outfit.

But what about these modern shooters at a modern range? It seems that the knife clipped to a front pocket with the clip intentionally prominent, or a big knife in a belt sheath is part of the current costume of the day.
Even the gun periodicals often have an article on a tacticool knife.

If you like knives, that's great. I do too. But it seems that the knife clipped to the pocket is just decoration.
I was curious, so on several occasions I went around the outdoor range I belong to and asked if the knife owners had taken a defensive knife course or something similar. None. Not one. Most were middle aged guys. I have to assume that the knives are there for show, not practical use.

I carry a knife, but as part of a multi-tool. I also know that if confronted by someone who can really use a knife, I probably would be trimmed, fileted, carved and circumcised by the time the fight was over. If my CCW firearm doesn't do its job, then my knife wouldn't save my hide.

Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I am wrong in my assumptions. What think you all?
Ron
Ron
I agree. I think the knives these  days are "window dressing", all for show! I live in Pennsylvania in the heart of Redneck country, so the knives carried here are as much a necessity as pants or shoes. I carry 3 knives everywhere but in school, A Swiss army that I brought back from Switzerland in the 60's, an Opinel carbon steel blade, beech wood handle that I bought in France on the same trip, and a mini Kobalt folding utility knife, PLUS a pair of folding scissors. In addition, I also carry a Beretta .380 or a S&W 9mm auto, I'm ready for just about anything. I've never needed to use any of these items ( hopefully NEVER will). I'm ex-military,(NavSOG) Nam era, so I can use a knife if I have to, but would prefer not to. I'd rather shoot ya.' affraid
Not sure if any of this is relevant? But it's my $.02.
God bless:
Stoney

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 4:11 pm

i've carried pocket knives since about age five.  Currently carry an old Swiss army knife.  While hunting  i sometimes carry a sheath knife on my belt. 

Yeah, there's currently much ado about something  they call "knife rights".  Lots of knife fighter wannabees out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 4:46 pm

@falcon wrote:
i've carried pocket knives since about age five.  Currently carry an old Swiss army knife.  While hunting  i sometimes carry a sheath knife on my belt. 

Yeah, there's currently much ado about something  they call "knife rights".  Lots of knife fighter wannabees out there.
Falcon
Not aware of that particular title... "knife rights." Except for airlines, I thought you had a right to carry a knife almost anywhere? Shows you how "outta' touch" I am.
Thanks.
Stoney

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5420
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 5:36 pm

I used to carry a pocket knife on all flights before the current restrictions. I only had one TSA-type guy who objected. I made him call his supervisor over and the supervisor OK'd it.

As a kid, all of the boys had pocket knives. How else could we play splits at recess?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 8:31 pm

@csitas wrote:
I'll tell you what , with five 22 shorts in you lungs , I don't see you being very tough for long.Maybe one could go wild and strike the fore head. I lost a cousin with the damm tiny slug. He and another thought the gun was unloaded, a single shot no less. I'm not saying the 22 is not the weapon of choice . I would prefer 22 long rifle,but with one ,I am not backing down.I shoot a bit more than average and can say can that at  10 to 20 feet I can empty a clip and never leave the target. Try that with a 45.

I ran into a guy a few years ago (a friends friend from his questionable past). This guy was walking around with (2) .22 shorts in his lungs and (1) in his kidney that had been removed. He still has the lung slugs and was real proud of them. The dizzy jerk showed us a current and a passed xray of his lungs and how those slugs have been covered with tissue, sick.

csitas

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 12th 2017, 9:34 pm

Maybe with a little luck ,someday he will get his condition updated. Maybe lr's this time around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 13th 2017, 4:46 am

@patocazador wrote:
I used to carry a pocket knife on all flights before the current restrictions. I only had one TSA-type guy who objected. I made him call his supervisor over and the supervisor OK'd it.

As a kid, all of the boys had pocket knives. How else could we play splits at recess?
patocazador
I feel ya.' brother
 I had some health issues that used to require me to carry a lot of first aid related items, mostly bandages. About 10 years ago my wife and I were flying to Jamaica to shoot wedding photos. At the Philly Airport, the TSA. chick made me throw away a $50.00 pair of scissors from my first aid bag... right down the incinerator chute. Then another guy, on the same flight, got to take his Buck folder with him because the TSA guy he had said "you can take that knife as long as you put it in this little box and fly it in cargo, NOT as a carry on!" Wish the "B_ _ _H" had told ME that!
Yeah, when I was a kid EVERY boy carried a pock knife on them. I NEVER left for school without my Barlow trapper, it was just like puttin' on your pants. You dressed, put on your pants and shoes, combed your hair, then made sure your folder was in your pocket! I don't even know at what period in time Pocket knives were outlawed in school?
Be well, Stay warm:
Stoney

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 13th 2017, 8:24 am

Quote :
Except for airlines, I thought you had a right to carry a knife almost anywhere?

There are knives and there are other "knives".   There is a big push for the legalization of switchblades, gravity knives and big knives.   

https://kniferights.org/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 13th 2017, 9:15 am

@falcon wrote:
Quote :
Except for airlines, I thought you had a right to carry a knife almost anywhere?

There are knives and there are other "knives".   There is a big push for the legalization of switchblades, gravity knives and big knives.   

https://kniferights.org/
falcon
 I brought a bunch of Switch blades back from Europe in the 60's and 70's, but after all the Hell/Hoopla over the legality of them, I sold them. Looks like I should have kept them. Not sure (given today's societal mindset), what I think about them now? Thanks for the link.  Very interesting reading. I'm just a KNIFE FREAK plain and simple!!! If it's got a cutting edge, I want one!
God bless:
Stoney

Bazoo

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 13th 2017, 8:55 pm

Howdy,   I joined so That I could post in this thread.     I have been carrying a knife since I was a kid.   I have carried everything from stockman pocket knives, to fixed knives to switchblades.      I started when I was about 10.  I wasnt able to carry a knife to school, but after school I knifed up for the whittling and chopping and cutting kids do. 

At current im carrying a leatherman original,  an old timer stockman, a victorinox classic, and a buck 192.     I dont always carry the 192,  sometimes I'll carry a 110 instead, if I need to conceal better. The leatherman and the stockman are my must haves.  The victorinox is easy to add and I use the scissors for trimming nose and beard hairs and such.       

I am sentimental about my knives.  The leatherman was my granny's, and is pretty darn useful.   And the old timer I've carried for 15 years or so.       The 110 was a gift from my wife, and the 192 from her mom.     

I carry a 1911.  I've carried constantly, one gun or another, for almost 10 years.     Both the leatherman and the stockman and my 1911 were on me when my house burnt down 2 years ago.     

Ive carried a benchmade 3310.  Its the out the front dagger with a single edged blade.  I used it as a tool,  not as a weapon.      It was pretty cool, and was given to me by a friend.  I sold it to finance a gun purchase before my house burnt.    It wasnt my style, but I wish I had it back now as my friend has passed. 

Its been my experience that carrying a knife of the folding clip variety is something a lot of folks do now.  Not as weapons, nor as tools,  more like part of the attire.     I've carried, along with the 3310, several other pocket clip knives.  They arent really my style so I dont carry clipper knives much.  I dont own any at present.        

~Bazoo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   

Back to top Go down

Knives and the Modern Shooter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: