Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 14th 2017, 6:42 am

I have been carrying a hand forged 4 in drop point knife made for me by the well known blacksmith Dennis Miles (now passed on). This was a birthday present from him one year, probably the handiest knife I've ever owned. Used for about anything from cutting an apple to gutting an elk. My second knife is a folding knife with the razor blade that everyone is selling today (its always razor sharp with the changeable blade system). That's the best thing about these knifes, has its down points for some uses it difficult to get the small jobs done with ease.

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 15th 2017, 10:29 am

Knife story: 

The summer of 1987 found me near Najran, Saudi Arabia on a huge field exercise with the Saudi national guard.  i carried a G97 sheath knife on my belt.   Najran was formerly a part of Yemen:  It is customary for young  Yemeni men to  be presented with a nice knife when they reach adulthood.   

On Friday we went to a hotel in Najran where our communications base station was run by one Ahmed.   We would shower, shave and  have a good meal; then it was back to the desert for another week.  Was waiting my turn to shower.  There were five or six locals in the lobby.    i was approached by a young man with a jambia  in his belt.   He asked:  "Amerikki?" i replied in the affirmative. 

The man  wanted to show me his knife.   He pulled his knife out and our commo man, Ahmed,  looked concerned.   The man handed me the knife point first and Ahmed looked more concerned.  Asked the man if his knife had a rhino horn handle and he nodded yes.    Took the knife and could barely shave some hairs from my forearm. 

Handed the knife back handle first, complimented him on the fine knife and pulled out my old knife.   Shaved hair from my upper arm to my fingers, knicked my finger with the knife and shoved it back into the sheath.     Explained in Arabic that it was the custom of my tribe that an unsheathed knife had to bring blood.   By this time all the locals were cracking up. 

All that young man wished to do was to show off his new knife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 15th 2017, 7:23 pm

While in Cambodia on the low-lying plains in early 60's, a group of Turks (heads shaved heads with large mustasks and larger  knives) came into the Mekong Delta region (they were working with our special forces folks as hired mercenaries). They kept to themselves while in camp during the day, they slept, ate, or when awake they were either shaving with their knifes, exercising or honing those knives. At night they went into the jungle on recon, being gone for days at a time then reporting to Special Forces Command Post. I can still see those big knives with the colors seen on Andy's BlackJack knife and that gleaming sharpened edge - scary.

Last edited by Buck Conner on November 16th 2017, 2:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Bazoo

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 15th 2017, 9:21 pm

Very neat stories.  Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 15th 2017, 11:00 pm

@Bazoo wrote:
Very neat stories.  Thanks for sharing.

ditto

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 9:15 am

My wife has a 22 long rifle mini revolver she carries all the time. Our local CWP instructor has over 40 years of police/sheriff work and tells applicants a 22LR hollow point to the lungs of an assailant is just as good as a 38 round. One in each lung and it is lights out.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 9:33 am

One of my friends in South Africa had an unwelcome opportunity to use his North American .22 mag firearm on 3 "goblins" as he calls his bandit attackers.
They followed him home that is surrounded by a concrete wall topped with razor wire and an alarm unit. After he entered his electronically controlled gate, they drove in far enough to block the gate from closing. They ordered him to throw his house keys to them. With his wife, a 2 year old and 5 year old child in the house, he instead ducked behind a tree and a firefight ensued. He hit the leader of the goblins in the chest and a second bad guy in the groin. He fired at the 3rd attacker but his firearm blasted apart in his hand. He then had to fight hand to hand.
The uninjured attacker loaded the unconscious leader and groin - hit colleague into the car and left.

Net results: The police came "just in time": about 2 hours later. Rolling Eyes The leader was in the morgue and the second attacker in the hospital. The NA .22 mag self destructed. Thankfully, my friend's family was safe, but my friend was hit in both arms. He showed me 18 bullet marks in the concrete wall around his house, all due to the firefight.

His conclusion: he never will again trust his fate to a .22 caliber handgun. The dead goblin was felled by a lucky shot to the center of the chest. The wounded attacker was fully capable of fighting on. The destroyed NA .22 mag gun speaks for itself.
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 11:18 am

I have carried a NAA Arms .22 short revolver for 35 years in my pants pocket. I have only used it to shoot coons, possums, and finish off deer and other wounded animals.
I would try to shoot someone with it if the situation demanded it but it would be a "last gasp" type of thing.

The last 2 years I have carried a Diamondback 9mm in my Wranglers' back pocket. I would fare much better in a situation like your friend's than with the .22 short.

Years ago there was a newspaper report of a "businessman" who was in San Francisco for a convention. He was drunk and was mugged in the alley behind the hotel. The perp shot him in the head with a .25 auto. The businessman didn't know he had been shot and proceeded to beat the attacker with a stick or pipe he found in the alley. 
When the cops showed up he told them that the guy "hit me with a board first and it made me mad." 
He was treated and released at a local hospital.

As Robert Ruark said, "Use Enough Gun!"

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 11:18 am

Have heard similar stories of the cartridge and the NA .22 mag.

The .22 WMR was introduced in 1959 by Winchester, but was not used by Winchester until the Winchester Model 61 pump rifle could be chambered for it in 1960. By that time, Smith & Wesson and Ruger had revolvers for the caliber. It was the only successful rimfire cartridge introduced in the 20th Century according to NRA.

I had a Winchester pump (sold), a S&W (sold) and still have a Ruger Conv. in .22 LR and .22 Mag. (probably have shot a box of mags through the gun - price of cartridges kills target shooting with this caliber. Otherwise its a good round for its size. Oh, forgot I have a custom Ruger Bear Cat in .22 mag also (the size and the strength of the frame makes this a neat little hideout gun).  :tup2

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 11:27 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
 I have a custom Ruger Bear Cat in .22 mag also (the size and the strength of the frame makes this a neat little hideout gun).  :tup2

I have a Bearcat in .22 LR. I'll bet that small-framed revolver really flips up when shot with a .22 mag.  Twisted Evil

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 11:42 am

@patocazador wrote:
The last 2 years I have carried a Diamondback 9mm in my Wranglers' back pocket. 
Like you said "use enough gun", have carried a small 9mm auto of different manufactures in the 1911 style versions for 40 years (all had the same function features).

Remember in a time of need you better know how to work the firearm. Here's why I say that; I was shooting a 1911 style handgun all the time (shoots and practice). For some reason I carried a Browning Hi-Power in my bag when on the road (5) days a week. One morning in my hotel room in Saratoga WY (2AM) the door between rooms was kicked in by a drunk the cops figured was looking for his girl friend. I have always slept with a firearm under my pillow, when that door flew open I came up with the Browning pointed in that direction (as practiced for years). Trying to wake up and be on target all I saw was the door pulled closed. Now I'm up and totally awake, I'm thinking "I didn't hear the report of the gun being fired ???" Now I'm aiming and listening while I count the rounds in the mag then pull the slide back to see if theres a round in the chamber. Damn I have all my unspent rounds ???  Block the door with the recliner and for the next few hours if someone burped two room down I'm ready. Got up couldn't sleep and checked out at 5AM. The clerk said the guy in the room next to me checked in a 2AM and checked out at 2:15AM, I told him what has happened so I wouldn't be charged for the damaged door and frame. The clerk called the cops, they decided I should carry what I'm use to my 1911 Gov. Coming out of a deep sleep I wasn't familar with the Browning safety working different than the 1911. Lesson Learned.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 11:57 am

I really like the way my Sig 239 works with the first shot being DA and succeeding shots being SA. (I also like the ability to quickly switch barrels to choose .40 S&W, Sig .357, or 9mm.)

I believe the German P-38 started that particular action. It's nice not to have to cock a hammer or click off a safety when you don't have extra seconds to spare. 
However, most DA Only guns have a ridiculously heavy trigger pull on every shot. I don't like them at all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 18th 2017, 5:54 pm

I have carried a Sig Sauer's P938 Nightmare since introduced in 2012, before that it was a Kahr small size 9mm, and before the Kahr was a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm from the 70's.  When working you try to have everything as small as possible and the fewer items the better. The sub-compact's with their (7) round mags always worked well with the same count in the gun and an extra (1) in the chamber. I've been lucky knowing several of the guys that worked for Timney Triggers for action jobs.

RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 19th 2017, 7:59 am

Had a Kahr PM9 and still have a Kahr P45. I couldn't shoot the PM9 accurately regardless of practice and dry firing. It is beautifully made, light and has beveled and curved edges all around, but I just couldn't shoot it consistently. Although they are considerably heavier, I prefer a CZ75 Compact and Kimber Ultra Carry II. Both are all steel, and the CZ is a relative beast at 32 oz., but I can shoot them effectively.
CZ Compact

Kimber Ultra Carry II

The biggest problem I have with the heavier handguns is that they pull my pants down so I look like a sagging gangbanger. I suppose I will have to add suspenders to resist gravity.
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 19th 2017, 9:04 am

"I look like a sagging gangbanger" Very Happy Hey that kind of fits your personality Ron, an old gangbanger (that's what the ladies use to say about you in the day) ...   I love you   Shocked    cheers   drunken

RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 19th 2017, 9:32 am

Think that I should go with this style?

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 19th 2017, 10:30 am

That last picture says it all ....   lol!

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 19th 2017, 11:58 am

Jeans with holes and torn places, pants 3 sizes too big, hats on sideways .. WTF? scratch Dunno

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   November 21st 2017, 3:22 pm

@patocazador wrote:
Jeans with holes and torn places, pants 3 sizes too big, hats on sideways .. WTF? scratch Dunno
Use to walk up behind these kids in the mall and pull their pants down, that got their attention and making them run away from you. Today the little bastards may shoot you ...  Shocked

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knives and the Modern Shooter   

Back to top Go down

Knives and the Modern Shooter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: