View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   July 19th 2017, 7:22 pm

I am sharing the below from the Green River Gazette. A date has been proposed for a GRRW CA Rendezvous in Utah. 
I am thinking about going. I know gun makers, gun owners, and friends will be in attendance.  More information can be 
provided, I am sure if you ask. Looks like Doc White is throwing a party...

"2017 GRRW-GRRW Collectors Association Rendezvous" 

"Doc has been asking about a GRRW Rendezvous; show and tell, get-together, and a shooting event. He has the property to do everything. Has more darn friends that bought GRRW guns just because of the friendships, maybe he can get them out too. Carl and Les are excited, they think this would be a fun event for them and some of the other guys like Powell’s, Fields and Pace and others. 

Sept 23rd 2017

Our own Buck is likely to be sighted in the streets of Roosevelt Utah on those days as well.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   July 22nd 2017, 4:00 pm

I'm trying to get Greg Roberts to come to this event, he was one of the guys that help start GRRW and ran the show as long as it lasted. Between him and the rest of the old group they should have some great stories.

GRRW Collectors Association - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle, J&S Hawken, H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun - all .50 cal.
GRRW - Leman Indian Trade Rifle, Hawken Half Stock - various calibers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 22nd 2017, 4:43 pm

If my calendar is correct, THIS is the GRRW Rendezvous weekend and I am absolutely sick at missing it.

SO many folks I would love to meet. I wish it had been in May or later. I might have been able to go. 
I tried even so, but Irma sunk that boat in an already difficult scheduling sea. 

Buck, please give a detailed report? Tell Carl I love his tie pin and my wife made me put her ring in the safe before the hurricane. 

I am a sad, sad, puppy right now. Sad

​THE FOLLOWING IS FROM  THE GRRWCA NEWSLETTER E-MAIL: 

"Talked to Doc [White] last night, he said I caused him to loose a week's worth of gun work cleaning up his shop. These GRRW employees are excited about seeing old friends and customers as well as new to be friends.​ 

I contacted the Frontier Grill yesterday and talked to the manager Jennifer (nice person - knows Doc very well), she'll have available a large table that can handle our group. When arriving tell her your part of the GRRW Group and she'll seat you folks.

Have Bob Allan take Trapper and Ken with him, that will leave more room for your vehicle full of many guns (the more the better). If need be tie Lienemann on the roof rack, he'll survive if he has a coat (room for more guns up front).

Maybe Bob can contact Tom Dubois to see if he's coming?

I'm trying to get as many guns as possible for the "Show and Tell", Jim Bowman is bringing (5) Lemans I was told when talking to him yesterday. Trapper will bring his old used Hawken half stock H-04. I have (2) of the GRRW.CA guns and Carl will bring some of his and a few customers along with his son and that early Leman.

Bring your cameras to get pictures of you with the different gunsmiths of GRRW which just adds to your collections, fun stuff. 

Old Herb T. is really getting cranked up with giving a talk about the Hawkens.

Need to call newspaper in Roosevelt today for that coverage (Les' job, but he's out of town), don't know if he made the connection.

Doc and Carl will be at the Frontier Gill at 8AM or a little after, we (a neighbor and myself) should be there around 8:30AM from Lehi UT.

I've been asked what Roosevelt looked like, I tell them its like 1950 America small town, a little run down but clean. Looks like making a living would be hard in this country, oil fields or ranching.

Becareful guys, we should have a good day according to the weatherman.

Barry"

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 22nd 2017, 7:38 pm

Talked to Doc White and then Carl Walker, the groups from CO, KS, MO and WY are in town. All of them are at the Comfort Inn, hope they don't burn that place down. Carl still raises bees and has a sizeable honey business in several of the local states, told him to bring some 3 lb. pales of honey - sold 5 that I know of. Many guns will come out of Roosevelt as will guns appear from other towns in the state, I'll get some pictures for you guys.

GRRW Collectors Association - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle, J&S Hawken, H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun - all .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 866
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 22nd 2017, 9:05 pm

I completely spaced this out, as well! That's what I get for not marking it on my hard copy calendar. Damn!

Ron

BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 22nd 2017, 9:31 pm

I wanted to go but just couldnt get away.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 24th 2017, 4:25 pm

2017 GRRW Rendezvous Report - 09.24.2017

SCHEDULE
2017 GRRW RENDEZVOUS

BREAKFAST
Most of those that attended arrived at the Frontier Grill at 8AM instead of planned 8:30AM arrival that may have thrown us off. (10) former employees of GRRW were on hand (all of these guys were excited and amazed that they were remembered after all this time).

Some of them hadn't seen or heard from each other in 40 years, the idea had the regular town customers of the Grill talking to these guys as well as the members of the Green River Gazette newsletter.

When the uproar settled down the GRRW group as we were being referred to settle in a large conference room that the owner reserved for us (old friend of Doc White).

INTRODUCTION
Doc started the meeting while we ordered breakfast, then he turned it over to yours truly as I knew or remembered most everyone there. I added to the introductions that each person gave. That was fun as I brought back fun stuff that that person had done at GRRW, some laughed while others wished it had been forgotten (it when well). Carl and Gardell kept their heads down as many of the jokes are ones they had done like Lloyd’s fancy pipe filled with blackpowder that blew up.

The original plan was we would call the gunsmiths that couldn’t make the event, we talked to Ed Trump and then another smith and lost our train of thought missing several others in the process. You wouldn’t believe how loud it got at times with everyone talking.

SHOW & TELL
 After everyone had finished eating we headed for a very nice park close by that Doc’s that he knew would be open for our group. Covered area with (3) rows (5) tables in each row of picnic tables, those with GRRW weapons covered the tables with blankets and started pulling guns out of rifle cases. It took 30 minutes to get everything setup then the show and tell started with a large number of original GRRW guns. It was estimated to have 70-75 GRRW guns plus 10-15 other guns made by these gunsmiths that 35-38 members of the "Green River Gazette" newsletter enjoyed.

I was kept busy taking photos as well as handing out literature of a young man’s products (Frontier's Cleaners & Lubes). Hopefully he gets additional orders from this affair. We stepped off to one side out of everyone's way and took an original GRRW that had a gray looking bore and cleaned that bore with Jon's merchandise that brought back the shine cleaning up the bore (the owner was pleased). Jon provided me with (40) copies of his wares along with a sample of all (3) products. When we were done with showing the guns most of the literature had been picked up.

LUNCH
 We broke for lunch then headed for Doctor Gary White's house a few blocks away. As usual some don't listen to directions or can't follow in a line and a search car was sent to find them - (it worked out OK).

VISIT DOC'S SHOP
 Once everyone was at Doc's home - the "dog and pony show" started with our host giving a tour of his gun building operation. That 2 car garage this packed with equipment, parts and supplies. There's a rifle rack that covers one side wall with another rack above the other filled with rifles in the white, stock blanks, barrels, part boxes, trigger guards and so on. Most probably missed half of what they saw as one's mind just doesn't register the mass of items (a large a candy store to muzzleloaders).  While we were there Doc took pictures of some of the unusual GRRW builds along with my GRRW CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle #L02 CA. I even got to see the progress on my GRRW CA H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun (now waiting for the custom barrel).

SHOOTING
 From Doc's tour we followed him to his property just outside of town to his 100 yard shooting range or more as he has a cliff at the back of the property that's at least 200 feet high. Bob Allen (editor of the Green River Gazette spotted a golf ball approx. 85-100 yards down range, his second shot sent it 75 feet in the air (talk about being proud of that shot). I don't know how he saw the ball to start with???

DINNER
 Most of us either headed back to town for dinner around 6PM. Talk about a full day of black powder type items the group experienced.

2018 GRRW RENDEZVOUS
Several of the smiths want me to start working on next year’s doings (didn't know anyone wanted to do this again was Carl Walker’s reply) !

Last edited by conner on September 26th 2017, 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 26th 2017, 6:59 am

When you gonna post the pictures conner?

TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 26th 2017, 7:59 am

The picture site that Jon referred us to "Postimage" is still down, having issues. I check every day and did so just now get the same message  New uploads is down for maintenance.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 26th 2017, 9:12 am

conner wrote:
2018 GRRW RENDEZVOUS
Several of the smiths want me to start working on next year’s doings (didn't know anyone wanted to do this again was Carl Walker’s reply) !

Sounds like a gathering all of us will forever regret missing.

If there's any way to push 2018 into the last half of October or alternatively in late March I can be there. Those are the two periods when we're within range in Colorado, and we could adjust travel schedules to match. Otherwise we're neck-deep in commitments on either corner of the continent (Alaska and Florida).

Note:  I just checked my PostImage account, and I'm not getting that message at the Upload link. Maybe they're fixed now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 26th 2017, 9:30 pm

JIM BOWMAN LEFT WITH JIM BOAST HOLD THE RIFLE FROM GRRW

I'll load some more tomorrow, have emails to answer now.

Last edited by conner on September 27th 2017, 6:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 27th 2017, 6:01 am

Here's some more pictures from the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous in Roosevelt Utah.

GREG BOWKER

Back to top Go down
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 27th 2017, 7:38 pm

Thanks for the pics Buck. Looks like it as a good time. I wish I could have gone maybe next year if there is one. I have 2 of Gardells guns serial numbers real close together. I would like to meet him and have him see them. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 27th 2017, 8:33 pm

Yep. Good pics. Got any action shooting shots?

There is maybe a couple thousand years of combined black powder rifle building experience in all those men? 
Sure wish I could have arranged the trip myself.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 6:18 am

@BigAl52 wrote:
Thanks for the pics Buck. Looks like it as a good time. I wish I could have gone maybe next year if there is one. I have 2 of Gardells guns serial numbers real close together. I would like to meet him and have him see them. Al

Kentucky Colonel
Yep. Good pics. Got any action shooting shots?  There is maybe a couple thousand years of combined black powder rifle building experience in all those men? Sure wish I could have arranged the trip myself.

Well guys I talked to Phil Meek and Bob Allen last night about 2018 and we all agreed the next GRRW Rendezvous should be held in the Grand Junction Colorado area (half way between Roosevelt and Denver). I will provide a "poll" to determine the best date, numbers that are interested, etc. (last year the idea was scrapped with poor scheduling - hunting season and school graduations were the issue).   Very Happy

Then we can look at reasonable lodging with a large meeting place or park with covered area with enough room to display at least 100 GRRW guns.  affraid  :tup2

Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 6:58 am

conner wrote:
@BigAl52 wrote:

Kentucky Colonel
Yep. Good pics. Got any action shooting shots?  There is maybe a couple thousand years of combined black powder rifle building experience in all those men? Sure wish I could have arranged the trip myself.

Well guys I talked to Phil Meek and Bob Allen last night about 2018 and we all agreed the next GRRW Rendezvous should be held in the Grand Junction Colorado area (half way between Roosevelt and Denver). I will provide a "poll" to determine the best date, numbers that are interested, etc. (last year the idea was scrapped with poor scheduling - hunting season and school graduations were the issue).   Very Happy

Then we can look at reasonable lodging with a large meeting place or park with covered area with enough room to display at least 100 GRRW guns.  affraid  :tup2
Now, THAT is an exciting proposition! Thank you for taking the lead on a 2018 gathering.
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 7:02 am

@RonC wrote:
conner wrote:

Now, THAT is an exciting proposition! Thank you for taking the lead on a 2018 gathering.
Ron

Ron how do you build a poll for such an event, I thought I knew how and found I can be doing things wrong?

Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 7:34 am

Buck, I would go to SurveyMonkey. https://www.surveymonkey.com/
There is a choice to sign up for a free access and for a "pro" access. I've used it through the free access.

First, I would take a quick look at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/writing-survey-questions/
It is a little overkill for a simple survey, but it still is helpful.
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 8:04 am

Thank you Ron. cowyboy hatoff

Try this site with the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous, its Report and a survey for the 2018 GRRW Rendezvous.

Thank you guys for your support.  cheers   :Grace

Back to top Go down
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 28th 2017, 7:50 pm

I would be able to make GJ a whole lot easier than Vernal Utah. But if I iknow far enough in advance I will just plan on going. Who knows I might even be able to give Ron C a ride over there and we could visit for hours. The time would just fly by. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 29th 2017, 7:05 am

Here are a few of the GRRW firearms that showed up for this event, I had no idea what to expect at the time. Once the guns started coming out of the cases I lost count at over 60 firearms with everything happening at once. What a fun and enjoyable day this turned out to be.

This is an old friend and businessman Jim Bowman owner of "Bridger's Best Shooting/Cleaning Patches"
with his GRRW Leman Trade Rifles that range from early to late production guns. Jimmy (sorry still call him that, hell I've known him since he was a kid), still hunts with these guns supplying his sons and son-in-laws with muzzleloaders when they have tags. How nice would that be to have your father or father-in-laws supply you with a rare muzzleloader to hunt with.
The collectors are calling the "GRRW Collector Association" [GRRW CA] guns "Second Generation" / Never even gave this a thought when we started building again. These are two of my [GRRW CA] rifles; a J&S Hawken in .50 caliber and a H.E. Leman Trade Rifle in the same caliber. While at this event I got to look at my [GRRW CA] NW Trade Gun that Doc White is building at this time also in .50 caliber.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 29th 2017, 7:36 am

Good Morning,
Now you have an idea of what these firearms look like and have read a very small part of their history between the Kentucky Colonel and yours truly talking back and forth. If still interested in these firearms and would like to read more continue on to a FREE offer.
__________________________________________________________________________________

We wanted to let you and your friends know of a FREE newsletter available for folks like yourself with muzzle loading and black powder on your minds.

All it takes is contacting the editor Bob Allen at: bob@bucksnorttrading.com He will send you the current issue of his newsletter “The Green River Gazette”. Don’t forget to ask for the back issues of the Gazette, good reading about such guns as Leman and Hawken firearms like those built by GRRW back in the 70’s and 80’s.

How simple is that, no ads, no requests, no beg letter, just information on a freebie. You don’t get that very often in the muzzle loading field today. Tell him Buck Conner is a friend and sent you to him, you'll enjoy Bob - a very nice man.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Back to top Go down
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   September 29th 2017, 7:53 am

Thanks for posting that.....along with all of the great pix. I contacted him for the Gazette.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mohawkbows.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans   

Back to top Go down

A GATHERING OF CLANS... GRRW Clans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: