Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Legalizing a floppy hat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 21st 2017, 7:56 pm

Had to figure out a way to get my floppy hat legal for muzzleloader season. I did a search and came across http://hopalongoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 and for $8.50 + free shipping I bought the little cover. They had one that was a full cover, but CPW said doing the center piece was fine, just as long as I wore 500sq ft of blaze orange ( vest ).

Now I am legal and will be able to use my hat this fall!

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 21st 2017, 8:15 pm

I can't look at that... 

:ROFL

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 22nd 2017, 10:45 am

I don't have a floppy hat, but I have a Fred Bear/Indiana Jones style hat with a stocking  hat that my wife crocheted for me. I wear the orange when moving on the ground but put it inside my coat when in a tree stand.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 22nd 2017, 4:59 pm

If it's breathable FG i'm going to check into that cap.  It would replace my blaze orange cap I carry with me in my backpack during archery season.  Eliminating the rim on my ball cap just makes things more portable and less bulky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 22nd 2017, 5:36 pm

" Eliminating the rim on my ball cap just makes things more portable and less bulky." 

I would never want to eliminate the the rim of a cap due to sun glare ... Unless the sun never shines up there in Mass.
I have read that Boston has the worst weather of any big city in the US.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 22nd 2017, 5:57 pm

pat', I can't shoot any bow with a "standard-length " ball cap style rimmed hat.   I do use though a standard military short-rimmed camo cap 

which gives me just enough string clearance for compound anchor point or no sights traditional style.

For safety reasons I wear a blaze orange hat during archery season when entering the woods under darkness... but more so when leaving the woods after sunset.   Some states I hunt require archery hunters to wear blaze orange whenever moving from one spot to another.

For firearms season I wear full length rimmed hats all the time.

Last edited by Marty on July 22nd 2017, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 23rd 2017, 9:54 am

They make a Jones-style cap with a sewn-in reversible orange side. I have two of them. They have short rims.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 23rd 2017, 12:01 pm

T'ain't cheap and it ain't authentic, but I sure like this great hat from Filson. Pretty rustic anyway, but more important it works so many ways it will see you through just about any weather.

Can't get around it, but Colorado is one scary place for me during the regular hunting seasons. I've run across too many yahoos, and every man jack of them seems to think it's okay to "scope" things out rather than using binoculars. Not quite so bad during the muzzleloader season, mostly because there are fewer folks out and they don't have scopes on their guns.

The elk season overlaps when we're gathering cattle off the grazing leases, and especially the last pass through the land picking up the last few strays missed in the bigger gather a couple of weeks before. I was pushing a handful of pairs in front of me a couple of miles along this narrow sage flat surrounded by fingers of timber. Yeah, I was wearing some orange but that big old roan gelding wasn't and the cattle were brown rather than black.  Must have had 30 or 40 different guys point their rifles at me for a "closer look."  Geezopeet....

I got back to the truck, loaded the cattle in the gooseneck and got ready to head out for more.  Dug around behind the seat of the truck and found three orange vests we wear on drives along highways. Tied one around the neck of the horse and another across my saddle bags, then put on the third.  Headed back down that river of sage and had the same 30 or 40 guys pointing their rifles at me just to make sure an elk hadn't sprouted orange.

Wear your orange and be proud of it.  All you can get and anyplace you can find to tie it on your body. Heck, if you can find orange asswipe, bring that too! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 23rd 2017, 4:34 pm

@patocazador wrote:
They make a Jones-style cap with a sewn-in reversible orange side. I have two of them. They have short rims.

Got a web link for that one pat'?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   July 23rd 2017, 4:38 pm

I got the last one at Cabela's. They used to be sold almost everywhere but the Jones style hat is mostly a duck hunter's style.

Here's a different style on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Reversible-Hunting-Outdoor/dp/B017OHNP0S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500850194&sr=8-5&keywords=reversible+camo+hat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   April 2nd 2018, 7:48 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Had to figure out a way to get my floppy hat legal for muzzleloader season. I did a search and came across http://hopalongoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 and for $8.50 + free shipping I bought the little cover. They had one that was a full cover, but CPW said doing the center piece was fine, just as long as I wore 500sq ft of blaze orange ( vest ).

Now I am legal and will be able to use my hat this fall!

I got busted years ago for the shade of orange I was wearing (a faded Broncos ball cap). The warden claimed it wasn't bright enough, when in front of the judge (knew the warden and the judge very well). They had fun going back and forth about what was considered bright and faded (light), finally the judge dropped the case as not clearly written in the State DOW Laws. 
After that all three of us went to lunch and the game warden bought my lunch but not the judges.  afro

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legalizing a floppy hat   

Back to top Go down

Legalizing a floppy hat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: