Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Parts polishing jig how to....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 23rd 2017, 1:00 pm

Here are your pictures Stoney. Please reply with why and how it has helped you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
stoney1
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 24th 2017, 6:20 am

Hey Y'all: Stoney here. Disclaimer, Please over look the ugly. Try to concentrate on the simplicity and usefulness.
Here are a few photos of a jig I made recently. Let me start by telling you, why!
 Back in 2013 I suffered an ischemic Right Brain stroke. Right brain controls Left half of body. I'm Right handed so anything that I ever did with my Left hand, just stopped! My Left side, arm, and hand basically became useless or close enough. I love making things. I have a small knife business " Pappy Dave's Knives" and wanted to continue to do that, also I was asked by a very good friend of mine if I'd build him a .50 Cal. Hawken percussion rifle. How could I say NO, I accepted the job. In the process of "trying" to build the Traditions Performance Rifles kit, I started having issues. Things weren't going together AT ALL. I contacted Frontier Gander here and together we tried everything for over 2 weeks! Nothing worked. He suggested that I contact the company, I did. They're AMAZING people. Anyway...Back to the jig. I was having problems holding parts in my Left hand while I polished them with my Right (dominant) hand. So this jig was "born." You'll notice that I didn't go for form
 and beauty, I went for function and used whatever scraps I could find in my shop. Honestly, I never dreamed anyone in the world would see this other than me.
In the first two photos you'll see that I made a small cutout for the spring of the patch box to sit into for sanding and polishing, and the 2 screw holes for attaching the patch box.
The third photo shows the pine scrap laying on top of the butt end of the stock after I band sawed it to match the contour of the butt.
Photos 4,5,6, and 7 show the butt plate screwed fast to the jig. I made the jig out of 1X4 white pine. This allowed the butt plate to "hang off" the edges for easier access.
Photos 8 and 9 are just to show that the jig can be C clamped to your work bench too, making it more versatile.
I'm sure this is NOT a unique idea, and I never claimed this was a masterpiece of engineering, it was just a way for me to overcome an issue. I have used it to successfully sand and polish the butt plate, and the patch box cover. These are things that I never could have done just by holding the parts. I don't have the strength in my Left hand to grip them, or the dexterity in my fingers to manipulate the parts while sanding them. 

On a related issue about this build....Traditions Performance Rifles is a fantastic company! I cannot say enough good about them. Frontier Gander tried his level best to help me with this build, and after 2 weeks of trying everything he could think of, he suggested contacting the company.  I did, and I was contacted by one of their service technicians, and after a week of emails and 100+ photos. they asked me to return the kit so their gunsmith could see it. They conceded that I had done everything they asked me to and through emailed photos they realized that something was wrong? So I shipped it back to them and since it was new and still under warranty, there was no charge other than the shipping to them that I paid. They paid the return shipping. After having the rifle for less than a week they decided that the trigger assembly was faulty. They replaced the trigger assembly pre fitted it, and shipped it back to me about 80% assembled so I could see that it did indeed go together. I've made a good amount of progress since it's return. Frontier Gander has been a tremendous amount of help. I had previously built 5 kit guns without issue, so this one drove me crazy, but perseverance and good people got me through. Thank you Frontier Gander and Thank you Traditions Performance Rifles. I'm hoping to be done with this rifle before September's Muzzleloading Deer season.
Good shootin':
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 24th 2017, 7:58 am

Hi Stoney... I don't see your pics?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 25th 2017, 5:28 am

Howdy Kentucky Colonel
When I look, I see the pictures ABOVE the text in a different window, but that could just be on this computer because they're my pictures.? I'll try to figure it out. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't post the pictures, a friend of mine did, that may have something to do with it? Let me know if this helps, please!
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 25th 2017, 7:10 am

There are pics above. Thanks.

I am very glad you found a way to keep doing what you love.

What polish did you use?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 25th 2017, 7:21 am

Log Cabin Shop (in their gunsmith section) use to sell a holding device like yours (made from a hardwood) that worked like one shown. Had a friend that buy one from log Cabin, we never did figure out what the wood was, but a clamp didn't leave marks? Had to be careful and pre drill holding holes or you may break a screw off.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 26th 2017, 7:30 am

conner/Kentucky Colonel I'll address both posts here.
Thank you gentlemen. I pre-drill everything! Better to be safe, than trying to extract broken drill bits. That "wood?" may have been a plasticized Wood chip composition, similar to Trex Decking? That would explain the inability to mark it? I've never heard of the Log Cabin Shop? sorry.

KC, I'm glad you found the pictures. Yes...after my stroke I made up my mind that I wasn't going to sit on my Butt and feel sorry for myself until I died. I still do all my work here.....Yard, house, guns, knives, projects for my wife, et cetera. I have my "days." Some good some bad, but I'm still kickin'! When you're Right handed, you NEVER realize how much you use your Left hand until you can't any more.....WOW! So you Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
 Actually I hadn't polished the parts yet in these photos, They were just sanded. When I do polish, I use Micro Mesh paper. I start at 1500, then 1,800, 2,400, 3200, 3600, 4,000, 6,000, 8,000, and finally 12,000 grit. By the time I get to 12,000 there's NO need for polish. I've been using Micro Mesh http://micro-surface.com/  for as long as the company has been around. I started using it on my custom knives, and then on the Electric Guitars that I built. Micro Mesh, DOES make polishes in different grades (grits), but the papers work so well that I've never needed to use any. I have 3 bottles here, never opened ( that I'm aware of) I can't speak to what my sons may have done. Twisted Evil  The Micro Mesh paper that I use is designed more for wood, bone, horn, or plastics, et cetera, but they DO make some specifically designed for metals. I'm not paid to promote Micro Mesh, but, I've found NOTHING better for the "business' " that I have!" If you work in any of the mediums that I listed, then try 'em out, you won't be disappointed! Thank you guys.
God bless:
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 26th 2017, 7:43 am

@stoney1 wrote:
conner/Kentucky Colonel I'll address both posts here.
Thank you gentlemen. I pre-drill everything! Better to be safe, than trying to extract broken drill bits. That "wood?" may have been a plasticized Wood chip composition, similar to Trex Decking? That would explain the inability to mark it? I've never heard of the Log Cabin Shop? sorry.

God bless:
Stoney

LOG CABIN SHOP: Over sixty (65) years ago (back in 1940), Wes Kindig began what was to become the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. Sons Dan and Rick have continued the tradition of supplying muzzle loading (black powder) guns and accessories to hunters, re-enactors and target shooters alike. Dan has been heavily involved with the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, serving both as President and Treasurer, and member of the Board of Directors. Dan has also been active in the shooting aspect as a competitor and national champion as well as supplying the shooters at the Friendship, Indiana National matches for over sixty years. Many of you have probably met Rick on the Rendezvous trail, traveling to numerous rendezvous and festivals throughout the United States each year. 
Been around for a long time with lots of experience in muzzleloading.

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 26th 2017, 8:34 am

Thanks conner
I'm sorry that I had not known about this company back in the 70's when I was into ML big time!
Stoney

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 26th 2017, 10:22 am

@stoney1 wrote:
Thanks conner
I'm sorry that I had not known about this company back in the 70's when I was into ML big time!
Stoney

They don't have the pieces they use to carry, still nice to deal with.  t up

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   July 26th 2017, 3:21 pm

Thanks Buck
 I'll have to look them over. Blessings.
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parts polishing jig how to....   

Back to top Go down

Parts polishing jig how to....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: