View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 11:52 am

Love the history channel mountain men, and today I read about one of the guys passing away from cancer yesterday.
http://myfox8.com/2017/07/24/preston-roberts-from-history-channels-mountain-men-loses-battle-with-cancer/
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 12:10 pm

Was he a new one? I don't remember seeing him before.

That Eustace guy from NC drives me nuts. He does everything half-ass and whines throughout the whole segment.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 12:11 pm

he was Eustaces partner on the show.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 1:26 pm

Oh, I liked him

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 3:30 pm

These folks are about as far from being a 'Mountain Man'.....as I am a Moon Walker!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 5:07 pm

@Sharpsman wrote:
These folks are about as far from being a 'Mountain Man'.....as I am a Moon Walker!! Evil or Very Mad

Its a show. It ain't real. Its just entertainment with some occasional interesting 
information thrown in.

I love the shows where the central character is gonna starve if they don't catch the deer, elk, whatever. 
There is a film crew there that has to be fed. They have a buffet! Or, at the very least, a Snickers. 

And, do you know how fast a producer would be sued if they let someone die on their show? 

Survival is never really at stake in these 'reality' shows.

If you watch Mountain Men? Tom has a hard season in a couple episodes. At the end of it, he has to 'sell his favorite wolf pelt' to make ends meet. Horse hockey. He pulls down a pretty penny for starring in that show. Heck, he probably does personal appearances. He is 
sitting fat and happy, now. (Good for him!)

Shows need conflict and high stakes to hold our interest. It is easily manufactured.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 5:19 pm

What is always scary for me is that he was only 60 years old.  The article said he was born in 1957.  Much too young!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 25th 2017, 6:29 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
What is always scary for me is that he was only 60 years old.  The article said he was born in 1957.  Much too young!

Too much riding a horse to town  Rolling Eyes  and hitting the bars after hitting up the bank for a loan.
My two best friends died about his age. One died at 60, the other at 61.

Old stove-up Tom was the only one I liked because he just wouldn't quit. He looked like he was pushing 90 so I felt he had given it an honest try throughout his life.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 6:32 am

I enjoy the show for what it portrays...a different lifestyle from the norm.  I will miss Preston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 6:36 am

Rest In Everlasting Peace, Preston Roberts. 

Old Tom was a champion bull rider until he did a suicide wrap with the rope and was very seriously injured:   That ended his bull riding career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 6:41 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:

Tom Orr is around 70 now, have known him through the rendezvous at Bridger and a few other ones for years. He's one of the better trade tents there. Always has shooting pouches, beaded bags, furs, and bows & arrows (nice handmade items - no junk). Once in a while they will show him working on his wares.

But like KC said its a TV series with lots of background guys making sure nobody gets hurt. I been in enough films that some of the stuff they want you to do is really phony. You do what is asked of you, they are paying pretty good wages.

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 6:51 am

@Sharpsman wrote:

Tom Orr has been a reenactor for years, knows his history of the real mountainmen and has been on the ground more than the whole group including the filming crew put together. Pretty good craftsman, always had nice wares for sale. Since being on this program we done see him and if we did his prices would be higher because of this show.

Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 6:58 am

Yea, Tom O. is still kickin' and a lost breed for sure.  Having trapped fur in my younger days I can relate to Tom.
Speaking of trapping, I think Marty M. has the most dangerous lifestyle of them all flying that single engine tin can through the mountains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 7:10 am

@Marty wrote:
Yea, Tom O. is still kickin' and a lost breed for sure.  Having trapped fur in my younger days I can relate to Tom.
Speaking of trapping, I think Marty M. has the most dangerous lifestyle of them all flying that single engine tin can through the mountains.

One of the original GRRW gunsmiths left that firm and moved to Alaska with the phone company. His main job was taking care of the microwave towers in a quarter of the state flying a plane like Marty is shown using. Ed said he had some exciting times in those years of his working career in AK.

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 26th 2017, 7:22 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
@Sharpsman wrote:

Its a show. It ain't real. Its just entertainment with some occasional interesting 
information thrown in....

What isn't shown on TV today.

........ They have a buffet! Or, at the very least, a Snickers. 

When working on a movie set you get feed better than any place you've been in in resent years.. They have the best of everything if its a big production firm. 

And, do you know how fast a producer would be sued if they let someone die on their show? 

That does happen once in a while $$$$$

Tom has a hard season in a couple episodes. At the end of it, he has to 'sell his favorite wolf pelt' to make ends meet.

He use to sell furs and trade goods at rendezvous before this show, nice guy. Always liked his manner and his voice when talking to him (his manner put you at ease).

Shows need conflict and high stakes to hold our interest. It is easily manufactured.

Good lookin' hot women, with nice bodies, then we would be really happy ... Very Happy  Shocked   Laughing   Rolling Eyes

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 30th 2017, 9:25 pm

Here's a picture of Tom Orr before getting the TV Series we see today.

This was from early 2000.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 31st 2017, 8:56 am

Looks the same to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 31st 2017, 10:25 am

Before this season started, they had a back ground episode on everyone on the show. Eustes for example, he rode a horse all the way from the east coast to the west coast. Tom a old bull rider before turning mountain man and making/selling goods at rendezvous. Marty IMO has it the worst.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   July 31st 2017, 11:01 am

Eustes and a friend called "Pilgrim" came riding up the road by our store. We had just got back from an early buffalo hunt and were cooking a few steaks while rendering the lard from the hunt. One of the helpers looked down the road and yelled for us to turn around. Looked like a dream of being in the 1840's, two riders with a pair of pack animals coming right at us dressed in buckskins.

When they got by the store I asked how they were, they dismounted and we talked. They wanted to know what we were cooking, I replied "your next meal of buffalo, home foraged vegetables and Santa Fe coffee". They couldn't believe what they had rode into, then they wanted to visit the store. While they looked around I called several of the guys from our club "put on your skins and get down here now".

When we had a dozen guys including Eustes and "Pilgrim". "Pilgrim" did a prayer thanking God for telling them to make the turn to place them here. That was pretty neat, we talked about that for months to come. We put their animals in a pasture behind the store, let them shower (they needed it). They setup a camp with their livestock and all of us sat for hours and we talked until about 11PM.

The next morning they told us were they were headed which was near CSU (lots of traffic for animals). It was decided we would load them and their animals in the trailers and take them to an easier route to get them where they wanted to be.
They couldn't believe what we were doing for them and "Pilgrim" wrote about this in the Buckskin Report several months later.
Who else do you know that was doing a period ride "from sea to shining sea". WOW

Just thought of "Pilgrim's" name, his birth name was Charles "Chuck" Streaker and the name used by "Eustes" is not what he called himself when we met. It was like "Dull Knife" like the Indian from the 1860's. Both were ducking their spouses when we met - using different names to probably avoid lawyers ....  We were told that Chuck was a Wall Street Corp guy at one time, had a burn out and just walked away from everything according to John Baird.

csitas

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 12th 2017, 9:06 pm

Hey guys , I just googled old Tom Orr "mountian man" as to his money worth. They said $200.000. Aint much eh? So much for the rich and famous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 13th 2017, 6:24 am

@csitas wrote:
Hey guys , I just googled old Tom Orr "mountian man" as to his money worth. They said $200.000. Aint much eh? So much for the rich and famous.

Knowing Tom he lives a simple life and asks for nothing else. His net worth is much more than what you read, can't remember what he said they were being paid for the series each season, more than what you read.

skoger

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 19th 2017, 1:27 am

I was in Maine, 2013 black bear hunting, last week of season. If you remember first few seasons, they had a guy in Maine, wild card and he had a friend who helped him, brought supplies in the back country, was a retired game warden Jim Dumont. Our guide had a emergency down south Maine, when we got there first day, and Jim Dumont ended up being our main guide, was a heck of a nice guy, good guide, and when we had time, I picked his brain endlessly. When talking about the show, he referred to Eustace as "UseLess", did not seem to have a high opinion of him, LOL! There were six of us in camp, the wife and I were the only ones to shoot a bear, several misses by guys shooting rifles at 30yds, and when I helped them check zeroes, there was nothing wrong, just bad nerves. A doctor and therapist there, each missed 3 bears in 2 days, and the guides worked their butts of getting them move to different stands, to no avail, and when they left, their tip was a bottle of olive oil to each guide, man was they pissed!! The wife and I put in for the moose lottery in Maine, and the guides told us, if we got drawn, they would hook us up an guide us for half price, cause we were real hunters! They had the bad timing to say this at the dinner table on our last night there, with everyone present, after a few beers, and shots after dinner, well the doc and therapist took offense at that statement, and asked so what does that make us? The guide piped up and said "I don't rightly know, but it sure as hell aint a hunter"! The said good night and stomped out, last we saw of them. I keep in touch with the guide and Dumont, a couple of times each year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 19th 2017, 7:02 am

Good story!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 19th 2017, 8:53 am

skoger, I have not used guides much. What is a fair tip?

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   September 19th 2017, 9:40 am

@skoger wrote:
The guide piped up and said "I don't rightly know, but it sure as hell aint a hunter"! The said good night and stomped out, last we saw of them. I keep in touch with the guide and Dumont, a couple of times each year.
We use to hunt Banger Maine when my father was still able to hunt, last one at 75 years old. The guides were old telephone employees retired as was my dad they became friends on meeting with the phone company connection. We were there to hunt moose and deer, filled on both and were told as you were by the guides. They sent two guys from NY home early after they bragged about getting "good sound shots", that scared everyone.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Man dies   

Back to top Go down

Mountain Man dies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: