Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Things that you remember from your childhood.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1721
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 26th 2017, 10:35 am

Subject: Things that you remember from your childhood.

To this day it still puts a grin on my face, my wife didn't think it was funny. If you knew my mother it was funny.

My dad use to go around the house singing (which was the only time I had ever heard him do this). He sang “Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, and More Money" by Tom T. Hall - Faster Horses .    

Boy would that make my mother mad.  Very Happy

Last edited by conner on July 26th 2017, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
BrownBear

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 26th 2017, 12:30 pm

That oughta do it.

My best mad memory was the time I got crossways with my folks over something, then saddled up my horse, grabbed my fishing rod, tackle box and a blanket, and rode across the Mexican border into the mountains for some trout fishing. Without telling anyone. Got to having so much fun I didn't get around to coming home for 10 days.  Not bad for a kid only 8 years old!  Of course the folks kinda renewed my definition of mad when I finally rode back home.  Razz Broke my fishing rod and sold my horse, if you can imagine!  

Of course with kids of my own and a corral full of horses, I never quite got around to telling them that story from my youth! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 27th 2017, 6:48 am

Mind was I was a smart ass (yes me) and didn't get along at all with my father. He was a hard man, quite and didn't put up with my foolishness for a moment. He had started working hard labor at age 12 working in the woods splitting and making fence posts, got pissed at a Spanish teacher in his last year of school and quit. When to Phila. to join the Navy but got side tracked by an AT&T HR person and ended up going to work for them. Being a farm kid his job was handling a team of mules pulling poles into the first transcontinental telephone lines (he retired with 42 years service). He grew up hard and stayed that way his whole life.

I didn't stand a chance of playing or running around like my school friends, there were always chores. He only touched me three times and each time a body part broke (bad deal). We were never close as I was afraid of him and his temper, good man just expected me to be as hard.

Today if I had treated my daughter or nieces like that I would still be locked up. A couple of good wives straighten me out, the last 5 years of my dad's life we finally became friends. Now I have bad feelings about the years we missed not being friends. Sad but true, probably some was my own doing.

RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 28th 2017, 9:56 pm

Imagine a teenager, me, who was forbidden from the purchase a motorcycle. So, I conned my father's cousin into co-signing a loan so I could buy a used BSA 650, a classic British bike. I stored it in a neighbor friend's garage. The hiding ruse worked only for a short time and I was caught. 

I have a vivid image of my father chasing me around that bike, kicking it on each turn around the bike, yelling and screaming at me continuously. I was faster than he was, but it was only a matter of time before I had to come home and face the consequences. 

He cooled down a bit by the time I returned home. I was forbidden to use the household car until I sold the bike. Of course that had the opposite effect than what they wanted. I was forced to use the bike to go to school and go out on dates. The bike eventually broke down, not unusual for the British bikes, with the engine frozen due to a rapid oil leak.
I worked at a recreation center for more than a year just to pay back that loan, most of that time without a working motorcycle.
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 6:26 am

@RonC wrote:
...... He cooled down a bit by the time I returned home. I was forbidden to use the household car until I sold the bike. Of course that had the opposite effect than what they wanted. I was forced to use the bike to go to school and go out on dates. The bike eventually broke down, not unusual for the British bikes, with the engine frozen due to a rapid oil leak.
I worked at a recreation center for more than a year just to pay back that loan, most of that time without a working motorcycle.
Ron
Ron your not alone we have all experienced our father's tempers. Today as a father we couldn't get away with such acts, we would be locked up for a long time.

Had a neighbor (still good friends) have his kids tell him if he touched them they would call the cops. Boy if we told our parents such a thing it would be easier to call the hospital and get help for the injuries.  afro

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 6:54 am

I was forbidden motorcycles, too, in the strongest of terms.

I ignored this and borrowed my friend's brother's motorbike and promptly 
ran it down a ditch and into a fence. My hand caught in the wire and the thumb 
broke four strands while trapped against the handle of the bike. I was sure I had 
broken my hand, but it was only very badly bruised. I was lucky I missed the cedar 
posts.

My Dad believed in Old Testament punishments for certain things. So, I hid my injury, returned 
the bike (largely unharmed), and decided that motor bikes were not the best fit for me.

I'm generally good with that. Till I see a nice Harley or an Indian... Cool
One day, I'll let my beard grow and get a nice Fat Boy and sit on it 
and just look cool. I'm still not eager to ride one. Laughing

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 7:36 am

When young and dumb (not sure if I grew yet according to the wife). I raced bikes for a local bike shop on circle tracks. Then they come up with a twin Triumph-powered (dual engines) drag bike. That was my down fall at an early age (hooked for life on the sport).  The shop had purchased this bike (low number produced) like the famous Triumph-powered “Dubble Trubble” one.

Power to spare and hard to control.

BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 8:05 am

Im gonna go the opposite way here and say I dont have fond memories of my dad. He was an alcoholic and never was much of a father at all. So my memories of my childhood were to honor my mother who worked full time and was a mother full time and more. She passed at a young age of 67. I will never forget how much she did for myself and my sister. She more than anything stands out for my childhood memories. Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5417
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 8:22 am

Good story, Al.

My Dad was gone my whole childhood .. and adulthood too. My folks got divorced when I was 4 and my younger brother was 1 1/2. That made me the "man" of the house. My mother worked 2 jobs and we were left on our own much of the day.
One day she, her girlfriend and 2 guys dropped us off at the girlfriend's house with her kids and went 'clubbing'. I woke up at 2 am and said, "Chuck this!" and decided to go home. We were on the other side of Chicago from where we lived but I was a smart 8 y.o. and already knew how to read street signs. Rolling Eyes Duh.
I walked the 8 miles home but got semi-lost and stopped into a bar to ask directions around a railroad yard. The guys in the bar tried to detain me with a coke until the cops could get there and reunite me with my family. I said I had to go to the bathroom and ducked out the back door.
When I got home around daybreak, I had to bust a basement window to get in. They found me sound asleep in MY bed where I thought I belonged.

Man, I didn't hear the end of that for about a year.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   July 29th 2017, 9:42 am

I don't know why or how so many of our fathers were not "Father Figures". Was it the times or as an old friend would say "just my luck".

turkeysnout

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 6th 2017, 9:59 am

From my childhood, I remember my great-grandfather riding his horse on the dirt road past our house.  He was in his 90's. 
Our house was a two-room affair, which set up on concrete blocks at each corner, and skirted with tin around the bottom.  My dad cut a doorway in the side of the house and built a small closet room onto the house.  The house was covered on the outside walls with brown shingles. 
We had no well on our place so we had to haul every drop of water that we used.  The outhouse was inhabited by spiders.  (This gave me a phobia, and I was in my 30's before I quit raising the lid of a commode, before I sat down, to be certain that there were no spiders under the lid.)
We had an old oil well pump jack in our backyard.  It was the type that was powered by sucker rod which ran to a union house a mile away.  The union house had a big wheel in it that pulled a dozen sucker rod linked pump jacks positioned radially around the union house.
Us kids would ride on the oil well jack like a horse.  The leaking oil from the pump jack was drained into an old slush area of about 40 ft diameter.
Our yard was landscaped with stickers and dirt.  We had one big oak tree toward the front of the yard.
We had a phone which was on a party line.  Our operator's name was Sarah and our "ring" was two shorts and a long.
Whenever my dad was fortunate to have a job, he was a roughneck in the oil field, working on drilling rigs.
I remember the sunshine, heat, dust, frost, and the oak tree woods.  I spent all of my youth in the woods catching animals of all sorts; crows, raccoons, possums, snakes, lizards, roadrunners, owls, hawks, prairie dogs, coyotes, etc..
As a young adult, I was ashamed and resentful of my rearing.  As I aged I realized that I would not trade my youth and conditions of rearing for anything in the world.  My background gave me an outlook and reference of the world that money cannot buy.  My rearing has served me well in my career, marriage, and raising our children to adulthood.

====================================

Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 6th 2017, 10:07 am

Nice one, Turkeysnout! 

And, I had forgotten our party lines! We had such snoopy neighbors! They always listened in. 
Apparently, our private phone calls were better entertainment to them than Oprah! Rolling Eyes

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
turkeysnout

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 6th 2017, 10:44 am

One of my dad's frequent sayings was "great gobs of turkey snouts!"  That is where I got my moniker that I use on this forum.

I developed many phobias and neurosis because of my youth.  It has taken a lifetime to value the advantages and disadvantages of my early circumstances.  Many more twists and turns were caused by military, college, parenthood, and career.  All in all, life is interesting and engaging, but the early childhood sets you on the path of life.  I hope that I have done right by my children, Lord help them.

====================================

Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 6th 2017, 11:16 am

@turkeysnout wrote:
It has taken a lifetime to value the advantages and disadvantages of my early circumstances.  Many more twists and turns were caused by military, college, parenthood, and career.  All in all, life is interesting and engaging, but the early childhood sets you on the path of life.  I hope that I have done right by my children, Lord help them.

Amen cowyboy hatoff

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 9:05 am

During WWII i went with other kids to pick milkweed pods.   The government claimed  the kapok formerly used in life preservers was under control of the Japanese army.   So they used milkweed stuff in life preservers.  

i believe it was a government run conspiracy to keep kids busy  and under control while their fathers fought the war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 9:41 am

My Mom in her early 20's got involved with a Bad Family. Remember stealing Food to eat, Armed Robberies, police chases, running from the Law. Me I was 6 or 7.

And believe it or not she married a much worse person.

I thought myself how to hunt and fish.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 9:52 am

@oneshot 1 wrote:
My Mom in her early 20's got involved with a Bad Family. Remember stealing Food to eat, Armed Robberies, police chases, running from the Law. Me I was 6 or 7.

And believe it or not she married a much worse person.

I thought myself how to hunt and fish.

oneshot

In Pennsylvania near State College my grandfather had a 1,500 acre farm, he was the local Game Warden and the Town Constable. We always knew where there was something going on. He told my dad at the dinner table about a small church that was hiding booze in the stone wall behind the church that they were watching.

We're in our mid teens and that got our attention, to make a long story short we saved the church members by stealing the booze from right under my grandfather's nose. He was really mad that some low lifes screwed up their search. Rolling Eyes   drunken

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 10:01 am

conner wrote:

In Pennsylvania near State College my grandfather had a 1,500 acre farm, he was the local Game Warden and the Town Constable. We always knew where there was something going on. He told my dad at the dinner table about a small church that was hiding booze in the stone wall behind the church that they were watching.

We're in our mid teens and that got our attention, to make a long story short we saved the church members by stealing the booze from right under my grandfather's nose. He was really mad that some low lifes screwed up their search. Rolling Eyes   drunken

I am confused... 

1. Why was it illegal to have booze?
2. Why did the church have it in the first place?
3. Why were they watching a church in the second place?
4. Can I join that church? drunken

Prohibition ended in 1933... (How old ARE you, Buck?) 
Was this about 'white lightning' tax avoidance bootleg liquor?

PS> Oneshot, that sounds tough... and impressive.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 3:20 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
conner wrote:

I am confused... 

1. Why was it illegal to have booze?
Moonshine no taxes paid
2. Why did the church have it in the first place?
Selling illegal booze kept the church going.
3. Why were they watching a church in the second place?
Waiting for the bigger fish to show from Phila. then grab everyone including the big boys.
4. Can I join that church? drunken 
The church is still there and has a sign telling the story of church and its misguided church members making illegal booze.
Want to get you a phone number.... drunken  probably now its pot ... geek

Prohibition ended in 1933... (How old ARE you, Buck?) 
Was this about 'white lightning' tax avoidance bootleg liquor?
Yes in 1955 or 56 - to damn old to give a crap about anything on some days.  In PA, NY and Jersey if you know where to go "White Lighting" is still made just like on that "Moonshiners" show.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 4:36 pm

Many people don't realize that almost all modern-day moonshine is distilled using automobile radiators. Modern radiators use lead solder in assembling them. That lead is leached out into the moonshine. When I was in college, the VA hospital in Birmingham, Ala. was the leading hospital for treating lead poisoning in the US. 

Old prewar (WWII) radiators used copper so it was relatively safe back then.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 4:59 pm

Thanks Bob affraid ...

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 9:02 pm

Here's one my father would never leave my mother forget ....  Very Happy  Shocked   affraid

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 7th 2017, 9:21 pm

conner wrote:
Quote :
In PA, NY and Jersey if you know where to go "White Lighting" is still made just like on that "Moonshiners" show.

Kentucky, too. My friend Joe occasionally brings me some shine in a mason jar from home. drunken
He knows where to get it, I don't. He is vague about his source's location. They are allergic 
to taxes.

However, I am confident of Joe's judgement due to his background. He told me his source used copper 
tubing as I would not touch it at first. I have read too many prohibition 'bathtub' bootleg horror stories. 
Bob's story is just the latest and likely true.  

What is the name of that church? Communion must be a blast!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 8th 2017, 10:54 am

Don't know the name of the church now, heard it had changed ??? "The Church of What's Happening Now" would be a good name. Very Happy   :rtup   In Siglerville PA.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   August 8th 2017, 11:24 am

Chronic lead poisoning leads to a "lead line" in the gums above the teeth.

It was very common at the B'ham VA hospital, mostly due to moonshine drinking. It also affects the brain causing tremors, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things that you remember from your childhood.   

Back to top Go down

Things that you remember from your childhood.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: