Any Kimber lovers here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jeager106

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Any Kimber lovers here?   July 26th 2017, 11:18 am

Kimber. An awesome 1911 variant.

Also have a Gold Cup and Rock Island 1911 clone.
Good enough for an inexpensive pistol.

Also have a Smith .41 magnum with 8 3/8 " barrel and
it's been ported and tuned.
Think I paid about $300 years ago.
They are selling on the auctions for over $1200 today.
M-28 Highway Patrolman like new, 4 inch.

26 in all, just my handguns.

I even have a dandy Marlin 1894 in .357.
Fun shooter.
Might even take a deer at 50 or so yards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   August 26th 2017, 12:25 am

I recently picked up a used Kimber Ultra Carry II. It has turned out to be a great little 1911 variant, but did not start out that way.
About once in every magazine it would feed a cartridge into the chamber, but not all the way. Frustrating! Retracting the slide seemed a little too easy for guide rod springs spec'ed at 14 lb, so I  ordered a new, 14 lb set of springs and a 20 lb set, just in case.
Now, it feeds and ejects every thing I put through it. It doesn't seem to like Wilson mags, and my one failure to fully chamber a round out of over 100 I fired was with a Wilson. When the problem was present, it happened most often with Wilson mags. 
I have shot several mags full of round nose, and several brands of hollow points without a problem since then, unless I used a Wilson mag. With a drawer full of 1911 45 mags, I can just set the Wilsons aside.
Ron

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1721
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   October 8th 2017, 3:10 pm

Have three pistols: 9MM, 45ACP, 380ACP like all of them (all of them with Crimson Trace grips).
Also two Kimber rifles; .300 BLK, .338 Lapua

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 2nd 2017, 11:51 am

I bought a new .45acp Ultra Carry back in the 1990s.  That little pistol has never hiccuped once!  It was also hard for me to believe the level of accuracy it produces.  Off a bench at 25 yards it'll take your breath away.  Around or about 35+ years ago I got a Kimber of Oregon .22LR Custom Classic and a .22Hornet sporter.  The .22LR is my most accurate .22 rimfire rifle, and I own several.  The .22Hornet has been used, by me, to kill several deer.  It will stay consistently well under 1" at 100 yards.  I have no complaints with Kimbers.

An admission.  Way back when they first were produced I saw one at a gunshop I frequented.  It looked like a fine centerfire rifle but was marked .22LR and had a smaller receiver.  I bought it.  It was everything I'd hoped but had ONE major problem.  This was before they added a separate bold released.  The trigger was very good but to remove the bolt you had to pull the trigger and hold it.  But that didn't work too well.  I found that I'd shoot a round or two and when I tried to cycle the bolt it would slip out and smack me in the nose.  I traded it back to the store and waited; knowing that problem would soon be fixed.  It wasn't long before a bolt release was added and that was when I got the two jewels I have now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 23rd 2017, 10:49 am

I have owned (now lost count) a number of out of the box to full blown custom 1911's in varoius barrel lengths - combat to bowling pin guns. For out of the box guns, Kimber has been one of the better ones. For calibers .45 ACP was a common caliber (but at a shoot you would loose your brass when you were allowed to retrieve it - someone else grabbed the good stuff). I change to .38 Super for that reason alone, that cured others taking your good brass. Tried .10MM - man after a few matches the web of the index to thumb was getting tender, sold that one. .40 caliber has gotten expensive when shooting 300-500 rounds on a weekend (many didn't like the noise or the recoil).

The US Military started looking at the old tried and true 9MM cartridge again (good or better penetration than the .45ACP, used world wide by many militaries - Europe Theater). The National Guard started switching over from .45ACP to 9MM, then the US Army and so on started testing one more time. With better powder, bullet designs and more producing this round they got cheaper than before.

That said, I have shot up all the different calibers mentioned, sold those guns and replaced them with current models in 9MM. Now with a variety of Colt, RIA, Browning, Sig Sauer and Kimber pistols in the 1911 format with different barrel lengths. Now my daughter, grand kids and wife will go shooting, they didn't care for the other louder calibers.  Question   Smile   Kept the guns mentioned for ones to keep because they keep going up in value, now collectors, we'll shoot the others.

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 23rd 2017, 11:59 am

I also have had an outlandish number of Colt 1911s pass through my hands - not to mention Smith, Ruger and Colt revolvers - also new OOTB.  I've had them in .45acp, .38sup, 9mm and .22LR.  I've kept a couple of .45s (both custom worked) and a .38sup, also with some custom work.  I foolishly let my Gold Cup get away from me; the tuned 1911 actually shoots just as well.  But the Ultra Carry has been my only Kimber pistol and YES I would like a couple more.  I've let too many treasures get away from me; yet I have more than I can ever need.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 24th 2017, 7:17 am

We had a muzzleloading shop but took modern guns in trade, then traded off the modern firearms for more muzzleloading supplies. Worked with three different dealer of modern weapons, they did the same as they weren't interested in blackpower or associated items (guns). This was a gold mine for us with this deal plus a new Super Walmart and a Super Target opened selling TC's and CVA's guns but nothing in items to make them shoot (we got all those customers too). Suprising what buying department managers lunch or dinner does.

We had all the different manufactures firearms coming across our counter, anything that was nice we held back for the weekend to test fire as most when getting away from a firearm would give you their ammo too.

Of all the 1911's (many) the most acturate fixed sights was the RIA guns, they were dead on at 21 feet and centered at 25 yards, Most hadn't been adjusted, just shot and then traded to us. We had access to a Ransom Rest with revolver and semi auto plates for most of the different handguns for testing. A neighbor has an underground target range that we could can in the evenings after closing (another deal of buying him a case of Coors once in a while). One of my favorite 1911's that I carry from time to time is a full size Gov. Model 1911 in 9MM made by RIA, it will shoot anything you put in it.

RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 24th 2017, 9:02 am

I was fortunate enough to pick up a custom 1911 Commander sized handgun. It was a case of being at the right place at the right time. An elderly fellow, many years my senior, was limited by his arthritis and just couldn't shoot well anymore. I talked with him at an outdoor range and he offered to sell me his custom 1911. I hadn't even asked about one. He just offered it to me.
The price was remarkably reasonable. No way I could pass it up. Here is a breakdown on the parts:

1911 Commander sized Custom for US Pistol Shooting Association competition:

• Essex Arms frame with checkered frontstrap (40 lpi),
  • Nowlin barrel,
  • Ed Brown bushing, trigger, beavertail safety and recoil plug. 
  • Cylinder & Slide sear, disconnector, tactical hammer, strut and mainspring. 
  • Wilson Combat slide,
  • slide lock and guide rod from Brownells.
  • Novak fixed sights.
  • Reduced recoil spring for quick cycling with a less than 3 lb trigger. 
  • Colt 1911 rubber black grips. 

Original owner also used it for IPSC and IDPA
Trigger Pull: 2.5-3 lb
This pistol shoots very well! I would prefer a 3.5-4 lb trigger pull, but the current weight is fine. This is a gun that absolutely requires that you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot! Of course that rule is for all guns, but this one is particularly sensitive to that issue.

Ron

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 24th 2017, 10:54 am

The .45 series 70.  Next is the Commander.   .38sup.  Ultra Carry.

[/url]
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 24th 2017, 10:56 am

Ron, that is an extremely impressive pistol; you DID get a deal.  :rtup
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   November 24th 2017, 11:47 am

They are all fun, one thing I have found is we are finding some of ours and your pictures on others sights as well on Goggle's search menus.

Here's a few we should have kept, now I'm hearing about the ones that got away from daughter and grand kids.
Grandson likes the custom with the 1950 girly grips, features. Wife says he takes after his grandfather? Must be the other grandfather!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Kimber lovers here?   

Back to top Go down

Any Kimber lovers here?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: