Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stoney1
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 5:51 am

Howdy folks; Stoney here:
I hope this is the right place to post this question? I'm not that "up" on forum policies and protocols, fairly new to these things.
I have a request for some oddball info.? I'm trying to make some preset powder measures from Horn, Bone, and Antler. I bought an inexpensive plastic powder measure to use as a gauge for accuracy in filling. My question, what granular product (easily obtainable, and inexpensive) has pretty close to the same grain structure and weight as Black Powder or Pyrodex? I want to drill a hole in my home crafted powder measures, then use this product to fill the home made measures from the purchased measure to adjust for accuracy. I don't want to ruin or waste useable Black Powder or Pyrodex, this is the reason for my question., I won't need to sacrifice real powder if I should spill or contaminate it.
What's your thoughts on my project? Does this seem like a waste of time? I plan to sell these along with other BP accessories that I make. Please let me know. As always, you folks are fantastic and this community gives great support to the BP enthusiast.
Blessings:
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 9:01 am

Way i read it you are interested only in volume.   If that is so simply use water to calibrate your home made measure. 

A volume charge of 100 grains of black powder weighs 100 grains.   A 100 grain volume charge of Pyrodex P weighs 76 grains. 

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 9:13 am

I work with volume only whether shooting or making measures, and I don't really care what the scales say. 

Hadn't really thought about subbing for black powder in calibrating the measures though.  I'd look for things with similar grain size.  Something like kosher salt comes to mind for 2f and grits for 3f. It's all about the "air spaces" between the granules, and you'd want something similar is size and texture. I bet with those subs or something similar you'll be pretty darned close to what you get with the powder itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2001
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 10:07 am

Personally Stoney I would not pay attention to weight, "only volume" when measuring black powder or Pyrodex.  It doesn't make a difference what medium you use when determining equivalent volumes for your powder measures.  I suggest "dry sand".  Fill your store bought black powder measure to your desired volume level with the sand,  example 50 grains.   Now you know how much sand it will take to fill 50 grains. Drill your hole until the volume of sand fits.

Don't forget to post some pics of those powder measures.  We would love to see them!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 2:17 pm

Brown Bear
Thanks for the input. I never thought about Kosher salt. I thought about regular salt and sand but not kosher salt, thank you. I always used scales when reloading too, but I don't think Black powder and smokeless measure out the same way? Grains, grams, and drams aren't interchangeable weights. I'll try the Kosher Salt thing. I always have a 2 pound box of it here.
Blessings:
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 2:25 pm

Falcon
 Thanks also for your insight. I did not know about the weight aspect? When someone said use 120 grains in a .50 cal. for deer, weight didn't enter my peas brain? I didn't think of water, didn't realize I could use it? Thanks. This is what I mean by support from the ML community. I post a question and within a few hours I get everyone jumping on it to offer help. Thanks guys!
 Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   July 27th 2017, 2:31 pm

Smokin' Joe
 Another fine suggestion, thank you. Again...didn't think about the "volume" aspect? I hear "grains" and I think I HAVE to use a grain measure, NOT volume measurements. The measures probably won't be beautiful, but they'll be efficient! I'll be happy to post some pics. I make Knives; Sheathes, Powder Horns, cappers, etc. Take care my friend.
Blessings:
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   August 7th 2017, 2:13 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
I work with volume only whether shooting or making measures, and I don't really care what the scales say. 

Hadn't really thought about subbing for black powder in calibrating the measures though.  I'd look for things with similar grain size.  Something like kosher salt comes to mind for 2f and grits for 3f. It's all about the "air spaces" between the granules, and you'd want something similar is size and texture. I bet with those subs or something similar you'll be pretty darned close to what you get with the powder itself.

BrownBear
Thanks a heap, the Kosher salt and grits thing worked great.
Stoney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?   

Back to top Go down

Need input for powder weight and grain substitute?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: