State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 6:35 am

I was talking to a member here and the questions came up about how many states allow scopes on muzzleloaders in their muzzleloading season. What power scope is the largest?

Does your State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season with 2-6 power ranges?  Question

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5186
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 7:39 am

Florida does. It also now allows smokeless muzzleloaders. I use a Sile Hawken carbine but with a 209 adapter.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 7:48 am

patocazador wrote:
Florida does. It also now allows smokeless muzzleloaders. I use a Sile Hawken carbine but with a 209 adapter.

Great, here's one state, how about yours folks .... Laughing

Utah allows low power scopes for muzzleloading season.

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1728
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 9:11 am

Minnesota scopes are legal on muzzleloaders during the "regular firearms" season.  During the muzzleloader season you can have a scope once you reach the age of 60.

Semper Fi……..

Cabelas Investarms  Hawken .58 cal. Flintlock
Isaac Haines .50 cal. Flintlock
Pennsylvania Fowler 20ga. (.62 cal.)  Flintlock
CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 11:56 am

Massachusetts are: "Scopes are legal" for use on muzzleloaders during either the Shotgun Season or Muzzleloader Season here in MA.  No restrictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 3:18 pm

Oklahoma In OK we can use any scope.   The rifle must be .40 caliber or larger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 29th 2017, 3:52 pm

Alaska

Colorado

Strictly ferboten for muzzleloading season in Alaska and Colorado, though in Alaska at least you can use muzzleloaders with scopes during the regular rifle season. Alaska's aim is to keep things traditional and limit range. Works for me. I probably wouldn't bother hunting any muzzleloader season that allowed scopes. Just my take on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 30th 2017, 8:24 am

Idaho

No scopes in the primitive ML season but legal in general hunts.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olecoop

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-04-15

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 30th 2017, 6:23 pm

Since I might try a muzzleloading hunt in Utah for elk I got in touch with the DWL and the rules have changed to where any type of magnification may be used on muzzleloaders.It was passed last August.Might be worth looking into.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 30th 2017, 8:27 pm

olecoop wrote:
Since I might try a muzzleloading hunt in Utah for elk I got in touch with the DWL and the rules have changed to where any type of magnification may be used on muzzleloaders.It was passed last August.Might be worth looking into.

The sporting good stores are selling about any power scope one would want as packaged sets anymore.

Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 31st 2017, 6:16 am

Ohio allows that chit.

Shame too.

Don't matter much 'cause most week end warriors don't know chit about hunting
and can't shoot anyway.

I once watched some .....................ah......................fellow
pop ten caps at standing deer than paid him no never minds.

After they finally walked off I went to the chap and offered assistance.
He didn't load powder in the gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 31st 2017, 7:29 am

BrownBear wrote:
.... though in Alaska at least you can use muzzleloaders with scopes during the regular rifle season. Alaska's aim is to keep things traditional and limit range.

You can use a scoped muzzleloader in regular season in Colorado. I hunt all the rifle seasons with a muzzleloader and only have one modern rifle in the safe. I have always like the M14 rifle and had one made by Springfield Amory (7.62×51 NATO cartridge). The grandson liked it so much that he got it for his 18th birthday. Now I replaced that one with a Springfield Amory M14/M1A "SOCOM 16 CQB" now looking at different scopes.

I hunt with (4- 7) guys for most seasons if they have vacation time, all use muzzleloaders. We're lucky having access to my old 300 acres (ex wife's family farm) and the property next door (10,000 plus acres that borders Roosevelt National Park (Estes Park). Probably one of the largest elk herds in the state. Our favorite season is the one held in January for high power rifles (usually can pickup tags over the counter). There are few hunters willing to wade knee to waist deep snow and don't like digging out their vehicles several times a day.

I myself love this time of the year, we all use our muzzleloaders and are always prepared for the worst conditions. We have left and walked miles down to where our vehicles are parked several times because of ice and freezing. Leaving the old Bronco sit in the mountains for a few days before returning to pick her up.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 31st 2017, 9:53 am

Nice!

Alaska has restricted muzzleloader seasons for a variety of species, but mostly deer and moose. All open sights, though inlines are allowed. Hunters have to take a class, then pass a shooting test to qualify. Can't pass the shooting test, you can pass on the season. Archery is concurrent, with similar requirements.

The local muzzleloading deer season  is a pretty special time, the two weeks leading up to the rut just as the big bucks move out of the high back country to lower elevations. Best of all, there's almost no one out and about. In a dozen or so years of hunting, I've run into exactly on other hunting party (2 hunters), and they were as surprised to see me as I was to see them. We see a lot of deer, and with the prospect of a really good deer just around the corner, we pass up lots. Bears are kinda busy then too, but that's just spice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   July 31st 2017, 8:49 pm

Come on guys tell us what your state does or doesn't allow on muzzleloaders. We only have (9) states shown as of now.

Back to top Go down
olecoop

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-04-15

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   August 1st 2017, 8:36 am

Indiana has no restrictions on muzzleloader scopes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   August 1st 2017, 9:30 am

I was just asked why I modify someone's post?

It seems no one is highlighting their state.

So all I do is enhance the test to bold and underline that state they were so nice to provide so the reader see's that state's name very clearly.  :rtup

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   August 1st 2017, 11:20 am

Good idea and good choice. Your motive in starting the thread in the first place was to provide a service, and the highlighting only helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   August 6th 2017, 6:28 am

Virginia; Allows scopes on muzzleloaders, during our season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   August 6th 2017, 7:08 am

Huntin_Dawg1215 wrote:
Virginia; Allows scopes on muzzleloaders, during our season.

There you go, beautiful the state name jumps out at you, perfect my friend. Thank you.

Back to top Go down
csitas

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   September 9th 2017, 9:42 am

Wisconsin says ya to scopes on black powder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skoger

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   September 12th 2017, 5:35 pm

Kentucky run what  you brung, old or new, .40 minimum I think, scopes or sights, no limit, black or smokeless, we still have a republic here in KY!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   September 12th 2017, 7:54 pm

Missouri allows Scopes on Muzzleloaders.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   September 20th 2017, 7:03 am

Come on guys that only a dozen states mentioned, look at the list - is your states on here.
If not answer the question - "Does your State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season".

Colorado - NO
Missouri - YES
Kentucky - YES
Wisconsin - YES
Virginia - YES
Indiana - YES
Alaska - NO
Ohio - YES
Idaho - NO
Oklahoma - YES
Massachusetts - YES
Minnesota - YES
Florida - YES

How about your state?

This could be a good list to keep if your planning a hunt in another state and knowing what is legal.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season   

Back to top Go down

State Fish & Game Department allow scopes during Muzzleloading Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: