Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 2:12 pm

I renewed my passport last week and am stuck in a rut here. Cutting grass, sweating and watching rain is not my idea of fun. I want some adventure before hunting season kicks in. I'm thinking about going to Nicaragua for a change. I would enjoy higher altitudes and cooler temps.

Any thoughts?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 2:48 pm

Go to Colorado and camp out at about 10,000' for a month!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 3:18 pm

At this time of year, Bolivia is crisp and cool. Check with your Doc, Bob. If you fly into La Paz's altitude to catch another shuttle/plane? That is really high... Denver who, high. Planes clawing at the sky to climb high... 

Always fly between cities, if you can. Those roads are treacherous, largely one lane in spots, mountainous, and driven with a desire to meet the maker. There are also military searches for drugs and such. I enjoyed La Paz, Sucre, Cochabamba, and Lake Titicaca's Isle de Sol the most.

Your dollar is likely worth around 8 Bolivianos which means you are rich there. (Check the exchange rate) Don't skimp on the hotels. In La Paz, find a nice restaurant and order Llama steak, go to the Witches Market, travel to Tiwanaku ruins, and do see the Cathedrals and museums with the many mummies.

I have not checked the politics lately. Do so before booking. Lonely Planet is a site I go to and our State Department. But, from mummies to mountains to the Amazon, if you want adventure w/ altitude, this will scratch that itch.

Cochabamba Supay Festival

For God's sake, DO NOT accept a trip to visit a mine. I have never been in so much danger in my life as in the mine in Potosi.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on July 29th 2017, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 3:29 pm

You should go visit Pete and camp out with him for a while!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 3:35 pm

As for me.....I don't go ANYWHERE....I'm not allowed to 'tote iron'!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 4:03 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
You should go visit Pete and camp out with him for a while!

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that one. One of us wouldn't come back alive. Slap fight

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 4:29 pm

@patocazador wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
You should go visit Pete and camp out with him for a while!I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that one. One of us wouldn't come back alive. Slap fight

If you like beer you'll find Pete in Golden Colorado at Coors. affraid

They were looking for cleanup folks, he thought they meant drinkers .....  king

Now Ron is there trying to get Pete to walk after having a senior citizen stomp his butt for touching her beer .... nasty business, look at the fun your missing. :scucks

The pictures alone would make everyone's day at this location.. t up

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 29th 2017, 9:03 pm

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 7:13 am

Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 7:36 am

Costa Rica  sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 8:30 am

@Marty wrote:
Costa Rica  sunny

I've spent over 5 weeks traveling around Costa Rica. Just rented a 4wd and went. Covered every part of the country except the NW. Very nice place and friendly people, just don't ask directions. Most locals have never been to the next town much less to anywhere distant. They get together and vote on what to tell you. Laughing

Bolivia, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, and North Korea are not options. The political situations in those countries are too unstable. Europe is out as it's too tame.

I was leaning towards Honduras but the gangs and robbers there made me reconsider.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 8:50 am

Have you thought about Peru? Their cuisine is considered the France of South America. 
Take the train up to Machu Picchu from Cusco

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 9:06 am

St.Kitts! AMAZING PLACE!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 11:53 am

What about taking the train across Canada and US Border - "Sea to Shining Sea". :rtup

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 6:22 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
St.Kitts! AMAZING PLACE!

I think Alexander Hamilton was born there .. or on Nevis.

One place I hated was St. Martin .. the French half. Snooty people with a chip on their shoulders and prices double what they are on the Dutch half of the island.
The Bahamas ain't so great for friendly people either. I went there on my boat with a friend in 1973. They tried to screw you 6 ways from Sunday every place we stopped. We did "discover" an 'extinct' species of iguana and the "Lost Continent of Atlantis" that Jacques Cousteau featured on one of his TV shows. TV shows are such a pile of BS. :shh

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 6:38 pm

No I didn't like st.martin either. St. Thomas was ok but St. Kitts for me was the best island ever. No to much of a jungle, surrounded by ocean, nice views, and the snorkeling was amazing.

More age appropriate for you fellers....

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 7:28 pm

FG... (Shaking head) You are unfit for public consumption.

Yes, to everything I have heard so far about the islands. We stopped island 
hopping because it was just all the same. I have not been to St. Kitts.

Alaska? See Brown Bear in his native habitat? It should be cooler. 
Florence, Italy is very nice, but will be hot now. Avoid Kiev.  Ask 
RonC about Africa? South Africa is below the equator so it should be 
cooler now.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 7:52 pm

I haven't been in So. Africa since 1982. Things have probably changed a lot.

I agree about the islands except I haven't been to Cuba. Might try a flight from Tampa. I hate cruises so that's out too.

Belize is a possibility. I've never seen a jaguar or tapir.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 7:55 pm

Cuba... THAT is one I'd do.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   July 30th 2017, 8:25 pm

If you like old American cars with some strange drive trains you'll love Cuba. They have bright colors on everything and seem very friendly to Americans.

Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   August 3rd 2017, 7:02 am

I ain't going anywhere....I can't tote iron!!

There's an age at which women SHOULD NOT wear shorts.....or swimming suits!!

The 'aged' woman probably knows how to 'fix biscuits'/rice and gravy/black-eyed peas and maybe some cornbread and potlicker.

There ain't no way in Hades that sweet thang on the wharf could figure that out! You might could say she'd make a good "McDonald's Bride'!! affraid Dunno
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   August 3rd 2017, 7:25 am

Very Happy Smile Surprised Shocked Razz cowyboy hatoff

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?   

Back to top Go down

I'm bored. The heat has me down. Thinking about traveling. Any suggestions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: