Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15128
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 1st 2017, 9:21 pm

Yep, its begun! I am set up to go to northern New Mexico and try for a bear!

Im not 100% sure what I will use, but traditional it will be. May take a stab with my traditions hawken woodsman flintlock since shes all dialed in. Dunno
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 2nd 2017, 5:39 am

Hunting?...And I though this was the dog days of summer! Only thing I can hunt now are red squirrels.
Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you.  

Who's going on the hunt and for how long Question

Last edited by Marty on August 3rd 2017, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 7:00 am

My hunting party of (eight) is going down faster than expected... Crying or Very sad  We have hunted together since 1974, scouted our area together, camped together, knew the other guys thoughts ? and we were always in touch through out the year talking hunting subjects.

Life was good ... then out of nowhere somebody threw a monkey wrench into the mix. We have grown old, together as a group is fine but it came faster then any thought or wanted. Rolling Eyes

Yesterday one of the friends wives called to tell us we are down (three) members within a month. Heart attack (one), operation didn't go as expected (one) and doctors found the cancer removed has returned giving my old friend less then a month if lucky (one). All this within the last two months, boy this make you stop and think about the rest as well as yourself. Shocked

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 7:56 am

I am sorry to hear this. Buck.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5796
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 10:04 am

Tuesday was my one year anniversary of open heart surgery. They told me not to hunt for 6 months after. I went bowhunting on Sept. 23rd. I figured 8 weeks was long enough to heal. Evidently, it was.

Later I found out that I had broken one of the wires holding my sternum together but it healed in place anyway. Having medical problems does throw a wrench into plans but modern medicine can fix most of us geezers just fine.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 10:40 am

@patocazador wrote:
Tuesday was my one year anniversary of open heart surgery. They told me not to hunt for 6 months after. I went bowhunting on Sept. 23rd.

Five years back my wife was treated to a chest crack and a new heart valve.  Along the lines of your example she celebrated her 6-month anniversary in style!  It tipped the scale to 63# and won the big cash prize waiting at the top of the leader board in our derby.

Nice to wave success stories after hearing Connor's glum report.  Gotta grab what we can, when we can, cuzz the alternatives aren't good. Really sorry for your challenges Connor. Only thing a guy can do is dedicate the next hunt to the memories.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 10:58 am

Heck of a fish! Is that a king salmon?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 11:00 am

WOW!  Now that's the way to celebrate!!

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 11:09 am

Just got off the phone, one gone this morning - viewing next week, now have just two that are down out of seven. Who's next, sad deal and one that all will have to deal with in time? Suspect  Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 5:08 pm

@patocazador wrote:
Heck of a fish! Is that a king salmon?
Oh yeah.  She has a certain knack. She's landed 4 over 50 pounds since then, bringing home derby money each time.  Me? I never seem to top 50#, but she lets me drive the boat and land her fish for her. Razz

Sad deal, Connor. Sorry for your loss.  Though inevitable for all of us, it doesn't get any easier.  Just grab onto the ones you've got while you've got them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 3rd 2017, 5:44 pm

Geez, Buck, I am sorry for your loss. 

BB, If I did not know you from here, I would think that shot wa a photoshop fake! 
Wow.

FG, IDK if I said, 'Go, get em!'

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 7th 2017, 7:39 pm

conner wrote:
Just got off the phone, one gone this morning - viewing next week, now have just two that are down out of seven. Who's next, sad deal and one that all will have to deal with in time? Suspect  Crying or Very sad

Don't get old or stop hanging with old friends. My group are for most part in or approaching early 70's and are falling apart with health issues, lost another one after returning from his yearly checkup. On the edge of having a stroke, no hard workouts, so hunting is out. Now we are down to two trucks with six members left, old but still willing I think??? Question  Neutral

Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 7th 2017, 10:51 pm

I can empathize, as well. This last year has become one of unanticipated adventures.
Tore my quadriceps off my knee. Repair. Heal. Physical Therapy.
New aortic valve, flat lined and revived by CPR and recovery and rehab.
Retore quad and repair. 
I have to take the attitude that it has to get better this year.

As for hunting and sports: The older I get, the better I was.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 8th 2017, 10:56 am

The term "I was one of the best, just ask me" comes to mind. :rtup   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 8th 2017, 11:14 am

Reminds me of the Toby Keith song. "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was."   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 9th 2017, 9:13 am

conner wrote:
conner wrote:
Question  Neutral

Yesterday I was informed our small group that has hunted, done rendezvous and camped with each other for 40 years lost another member. We are now with 5 active and 2 on injure reserve.

I just placed his one rifle here that will be sold on one of the auction houses websites. Many have read about this muzzleloader years ago as being the first built reproduction Hawken full-stock flintlock (copied by many over the years) and how it sparked a new trend in this model as well as starting a search for an original full-stock Hawken. The gun was dubbed "The Holy Grail" by a half dozen writers around the muzzle-loading world in 1973. It's a wonderful GRRW built rifle by Greg Roberts as Green River Rifle Works was just getting started.

Mr. Sweeney will be missed and his rifle will continue on in another's hands and collection.

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 9th 2017, 10:43 am

I'm sure whom ever is the successful bidder on the "The Holy Grail" will make Mr. Sweeney proud by taking good care of it!

Sorry to hear about your friends.  One good thing is you have a memory bank full of 40 years of wonderful events that make you smile.  No one can take that way!

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 12th 2017, 6:52 pm

I'll be using one of these three more than likely.
Andy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   August 12th 2017, 7:12 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
I'm sure whom ever is the successful bidder on the "The Holy Grail" will make Mr. Sweeney proud by taking good care of it!

Sorry to hear about your friends.  One good thing is you have a memory bank full of 40 years of wonderful events that make you smile.  No one can take that way!

When listed on "Guns International" or a like site, I'm sure all the GRRW Collectors around will be watching. Some of these guys will run a GRRW gun up above the available funds for most folks pocketbooks. Once in a while they bid up guns in a normal market worth in the $1,300 to $1,400 range into hundreds of dollars above. The "Holy Grail" will be one of those pieces that the collectors have talked about for 25-30 years, be interesting to see what or how deep their pockets really are.

I got in a bidding war on a rare Ruger when still having one of three different Sturm Ruger collections. Lost the bidding war then found several months later it was to a cousin in PA (he was pissed and I was happy it was him). Laughing

When your group that you ran together with for 40 years grows older, we find what we did when younger may have not been in one's best interests. I'm paying for motor cross, circle track and drag racing mishaps now with joints and back operations. When your young you just don't listen ....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!   

Back to top Go down

Looks like hunting season starts in 15 days!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: