Powerbelt vs sabot

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave Mc

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-07-28

PostSubject: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 2nd 2017, 3:16 pm

Another newby question. It seems that CVA favors Powerbelt vs sabots. They clame there is less fouling from the plastic. How about accuracy, velocity or wind effect? I would thing a full 50 cal would be affected by a cross wind more that a 45. I'm leaning toward sabots. Am I over thinking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 2nd 2017, 3:24 pm

A lighter weight bullet is affected more by wind in general. A sabot offers you the ability to shoot a lot more, for a lot less money and a wide variety of bullets. I'd stick with the .451 - .452" bullets.

Now the pain in the butt part with sabots, it finding the correct sized sabot for YOUR rifles bore size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 3rd 2017, 11:40 am

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 4th 2017, 9:49 pm

There is several places to get Sabots then get Hornady XTP Pistol Bullets. I get mine separate but you can buy them I  believe 20 Packs have Sabots and Bullets.

Always have worked well for me. I use them in both .50 and .45 Cal. in my .54Cal. I just use Patch and Ball.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 5th 2017, 6:40 am

I have a box of Hornady XTP 50 cal 240 Gr with the green sabot that comes with it. I saw that there are high velocity sabots (black) for this round. I was thinking about using 150 grain pellets. Is that sabot the right one? Hornady web site was not helpful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 5th 2017, 6:42 am

My range will be from 50 to 150 yards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 5th 2017, 8:09 am

@Dave Mc wrote:
I have a box of Hornady XTP 50 cal 240 Gr with the green sabot that comes with it. I saw that there are high velocity sabots (black) for this round. I was thinking about using 150 grain pellets. Is that sabot the right one? Hornady web site was not helpful
I have never charged any of my smoke guns with 150 grains worth(i.e., three 50 grain pellets) of BP... nor know anyone that does routinely.   Even if you did use 150 grains, you're not likely to do it often with the recoil. Sad

Unless you are using the same muzzleloader (T/C Omega) Hornady did to generate their ballistics tables, your results will not be the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 5th 2017, 5:49 pm

Got to agree even though I use loose Powder which 100Gr is the Max. If I was using Pellets 2 50Gr. is Good.

With that Rifle you might even consider Crushed Rib. It will be more of a matter which will go down the Barrel easiest. 

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5835
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 5th 2017, 5:58 pm

I don't even shoot 100 gr. in any of my guns but I wouldn't use pellets no matter what. Heavy recoil causes most folks to flinch (like me). The gun/bullet combo is supposed to hurt the game animal more than the shooter.

That's my take on it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 12:30 am

Being a shooter/hunter using both modern and traditional I shoot or load in them what they like.
For example, My Lyman GPR .54 likes 80grs of Goex 2F, homemade lined patch and cast .535 rb which successfully dropped a nice whitetail buck.
My TC Pro-Hunter likes 100grs of loose T7 2f and 240gr XTP, same gun with Barnes 250gr TMZ and 100-150grs of same powder will give good groups out to 100yds. I stick to 115grs but have hunted and killed deer with 150gr charge, they didn't know the difference, both loose powder and pellets.
Pellets are just a convenience and so is carrying pre-measured charges Wink
As for bore sized projectiles. Unless your state authorizes its use only for hunting I'd stick with sabots.
The only bore sized projectiles I've used are TC Maxi-ball's. Deadly out to 100yds.

Last edited by Sgt Recoil on August 6th 2017, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 5:31 am

Alot of good information to consider. Thank you all! I'm going to go to the range and sample both with 100 gr. pellets. I have a feeling sabots will prevail. 

After I get more experence with this I'll probaly get a Blackhorn breach plug and experment with loose. What I'm getting from the group is well placed shot with 100 Gr. is plenty for white tail. Why hurt yourself?

Thanks again. 

I guess it comes back to experaminting being the half the fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 10:19 am

Make sure you mark your ramrod after LOADING the first shot! You will most likely have to swab the bore clean between shots with the whitehots.
Back to top Go down
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 2:45 pm

Thanks for that. What is the cleanest charge?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 2:58 pm

I'd do some expansion testing with both.  Power Belts have a mixed to poor reputation up here on game. Some have failed to expand while others opened too soon and failed to penetrate much at all. Some appear to have shed their plastic bases en route, while others didn't, resulting in wild fliers.  I dunno a single guy who uses them any more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 3:03 pm

Thats enough for me. I'm not going to open the pack .

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 3:19 pm

Might check around for more reviews. These guys all quit using them several years ago, and I've heard Powerbelt changed them since then. The new ones might be perfectly fine.  I'm just not wise enough to say for sure one way or another, but other folks appear to love them. They'd be the ones to ask for updates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 6th 2017, 4:00 pm

Don't be scared off by poor shots on game. I've used powerbelts since 2002 with excellent results. I'm using round balls now, which are even worse, according to those that never used them or powerbelts lol.

This video will show you how well they work with a perfectly placed shot. A gut shot is a gut shot with any bullet.

Here's my dad using them in 2014 on a cow elk. Hes using them again this year.
Back to top Go down
Dave Mc

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 3:37 am

Nice Shot! Lots of good eating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 10:05 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Don't be scared off by poor shots on game. I've used powerbelts since 2002 with excellent results. I'm using round balls now, which are even worse, according to those that never used them or powerbelts lol.

This video will show you how well they work with a perfectly placed shot. A gut shot is a gut shot with any bullet.

Well I've Hunted with Muzzleloaders over 45 years. Had some Power Belts that I tried found Sabots shot very well.

Heard too many Bad Reviews of Power Belts and they are Over Priced so why take the chance? I gave away the Power Belts I had.

Have never had problem with Sabots or Patch and Ball.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1618
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 10:33 am

Interesting video. 

What is the average range for shots taken on elk in Colorado? 

That was at 146... That would be a distance I would need to work at achieving 
with more consistency before taking in the field. Granted, he was using a modern 
in-line, but I don't use those.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 10:41 am

Dave, I agree with BrownBear.  As long as you have the Powerbelts take them to the range and see how they shoot for you.  I think you'll find they are accurate.  It's not that they are a bad bullet, it's that there are lots of other choices out there.  If you can, experiment with a couple different ones and see what you like.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5835
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 10:57 am

I'm the last one "on the block" to buy the new, latest thing. I let others try them out and listen to what the reviews are. There are too many bullets or bullet/sabot combinations available for me to use anything that has had bad reviews. Powerbelts fit into this "don't touch" category for me. 

My cell phone (which I seldom use) is a flip phone. That says a lot about my mindset.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 12:15 pm

I've taken elk & at 150 yards and under with modern and traditional projectiles. Be prepared for 150 yards. With the thors or powerbelts, you are looking at only a 3" drop. Round ball is where you need practice. With a 54cal, you will expect 10 to 11 inches of drop. Basically, put the tip of the sight on the back and squeeze the trigger.
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 12:22 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
If you can, experiment with a couple different ones and see what you like.

There it is in a nutshell.  Doesn't matter what the rest of us think or say. It's all up to your rifle to decide which is best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   August 7th 2017, 12:22 pm

@oneshot 1 wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

Well I've Hunted with Muzzleloaders over 45 years. Had some Power Belts that I tried found Sabots shot very well.

Heard too many Bad Reviews of Power Belts and they are Over Priced so why take the chance? I gave away the Power Belts I had.

Have never had problem with Sabots or Patch and Ball.

oneshot

In Colorado, we cannot use sabots. Conicals are very limited these days, especially when you go into the stores. TC Maxi balls ( the ones with the slight hollow point) are running $24 for a package of 20! Powerbelts are available in a huge variety of weights, available all over the states and so they sell a ton of them. The problem is when guys grab the light weight bullets and say, ahhhh come on! that bullet is huge compared to what I shoot in my 270! They dont take into consideration the bore size, the materials used in the muzzleloader bullet VS his 270, the velocity and which how it reacts to that light weight soft lead HP conical.

This was the first field test with the 300gr Powerbelt Aerolite in 2014. 100gr Blackhorn209 and a shot less that 50 yards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerbelt vs sabot   

Back to top Go down

Powerbelt vs sabot
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: