Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! Empty
PostSubject: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 7:44 am

I cut 500 patches at a time; pillow ticking type and big enough such that I can cut at the muzzle! When patches are somewhat 'de-oiled' the thickness is around .018" and work really great in my .50 and .54 caliber ML. I use plain old Canola oil and it works just fine! Don't know for certain but I might patch wetter than most folks!

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 35004737632_39d7a54575_nCanola oil patches by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 28439704306_5750a8c97d_nPRB by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:suhlute
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 7:52 am

Just curious Sharpsman.....Do you press the patches out or how do you somewhat 'de-oiled' the Canola oil before using?

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 8:41 am

While on the subject of jars and patches, I basically do the same with cleaning patches.
Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 20170803_101558
Above is a 3" diameter jar with pre-cut square cleaning patches.  For BH209, I just dribble Hoppe's No. 9 into the jar until all the patches are soaked.  This makes cleaning intervals at the range a lot easier. Smile
Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 9:08 am

Great idea fellas and thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 9:24 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Just curious Sharpsman.....Do you press the patches out or how do you somewhat 'de-oiled' the Canola oil before using?

Hold on and I'll show you!

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 36307431266_cc99745af9Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I lay whatever I want amount of on bottom board....put the other board atop and just back up a bit an voila....pat with a Scott towel and ready to use!
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 12:47 pm

Oh, Oh... The photo is "No longer available."

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 1:11 pm

I see them.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
dakotamar

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptyAugust 30th 2017, 9:26 am

@Sharpsman wrote:
I cut 500 patches at a time; pillow ticking type and big enough such that I can cut at the muzzle! When patches are somewhat 'de-oiled' the thickness is around .018" and work really great in my .50 and .54 caliber ML. I use plain old Canola oil and it works just fine! Don't know for certain but I might patch wetter than most folks!

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 35004737632_39d7a54575_nCanola oil patches by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! 28439704306_5750a8c97d_nPRB by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:suhlute
all is good until it falls on the concrete and breaks,  i use plastic cases to hold my lubed patches.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3395
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!   Mason jars ain't always for iced tea! EmptySeptember 5th 2017, 6:56 pm

Good ideas guys, anything that you have to soak always looks neat in Mason jars. I get caught once in a while when stealing a few of the wife's jars for different projects. Now I'll have to swipe a few more for cleaning and shooting patches. Rolling Eyes   Wink

Back to top Go down

Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: