Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Replacing my Barrel

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rowdyjoe

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   September 6th 2017, 6:42 pm

It's getting better.  I made another trip to the range this afternoon and I believe the accuracy is in there.  I just need to work harder to find it.  Here's the latest target from today.  The top 3 holes were my last 3 shots AFTER I found the rear sight was a bit loose.  (grrrrrr ....knew I should have put thread lock on that danged thing)
All hits are on my point of aim.  I was holding 6 o'clock for the first 7 and a center hold on the last 3.  When I sighted it in on Friday, I was using a much smaller bullseye and holding 6 o'clock. 
I used Hornady .495 RB and .011" (compressed) ticking for this target and it appears to produce consistent hits.  Once I get the rear sight nailed down, the groups should get tighter.  Notice there's a windage spread probably caused by the sight moving slightly side to side. 
The target was posted at 50 yds.

Oh, by the way ....no more blown patches.  Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15390
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   September 6th 2017, 8:30 pm

That will certainly do the job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   September 20th 2017, 10:48 pm

Yep, that target made me smile knowing that I was making progress. 

I had to shim the rear sight to hold it in place as the screw was as tight as it would go.  A piece of .007" feeler gauge cut to fit under the retainer did the trick and I also added a bit of blue thread lock to the screw for security.  I didn't notice the sight being loose until after I had fired a few rounds and when I noticed the east-west spread I checked the sights and found the problem.  It wasn't moving much but, it was enough to cause trouble. 
I haven't been to range again to see how much the rear sight is off but, hope to be able to go before the week is out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   September 24th 2017, 11:39 pm

Went to the range Friday (9/22) to check the rear sight work and to re-zero.  Well, the later was not needed.  I got lucky in re-installing the rear sight and got it very, very close.  Smile  I used the same load and lube as the last time and the target below shows the results haven't changed ...except point of impact.  I used a smaller target this time, hung it at 50yds, and held at 6 o'clock. 
Now that the rear sight is fixed in place, I have a good place to start for tightening up the groups. 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   October 7th 2017, 9:14 am

I finally got around to casting some RB with my new Lee 10 lb pot and .495 two cavity mold.  I cast about 140 balls and remelted about 20.  I then weighted each ball and divided them into two groups.  One group of 73 balls weighs between 182 & 183 grains.  The other group weighs between 181 & 181.8 grains. 
I went to the range yesterday (Friday) to test my newly cast RB and they performed very well using the same .011" pillow ticking and lube combo I used with the Hornady swaged balls.  All shots were fired using the heavier lot of balls. 
You can see by the target that I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the front sight in vertical alignment constantly.  I really need to work on that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing my Barrel   

Back to top Go down

Replacing my Barrel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Bench-
Jump to: