Share | 

Hello and nipple/cap question???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JBaker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-08-11

PostSubject: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 11th 2017, 11:46 am

First off hello to everyone! Name is Jason or J as most call me. Live in Eastern NC, work as a firefighter/medic; I am 44yo and mainly have been a trad bow person shooting recurves; but, been getting the BP itch. A long story short I had a renegade 50 my dad bought me as teenager and used it a bit then it was stolen (firefighter none the less Mad ) after which I never really got back into it, I didn't like the inlines (tried em, killed a deer with one but I am just like old school stuff hence the trad bows and the want for a renegade which is no longer produced!)

I ran across a 54 renegade that didn't have sights I bought it really cheap but then never touched it for yrs! well I got this BP itch sooooo I went hunting for sights for the 54 (got em!) and a 50 barrel like my Dad had bought for me (sentimental reasons I reckon, he long since dead). Took awhile but finally just found a 50 barrel with sights and all in good shape well taken care of if ever used. Been shooting, and having a ball! shooting just PRBs with Goex BP.

My question pertains to these German caps RWS #11s, they are suppose to be a good cap? I was using Remington caps but found these at a deal -- so I have caps for life now I got a case of them like ten tins? at the time I bought them I was having a hard time finding caps?????

My question is that the RWS caps don't seat on the nipple very well. As far as I know I have a standard nipple on my gun. does anyone know of a nipple that fits these better.

Once this season starts after bow I am dedicating the rest of the year to the black powder gun!!

Long post for a first post but appreciate any and all advice, just a noob to all the BP stuff but learning.

Thanks Y'all, still got some more perusing of the site to do seems really cool.

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 11th 2017, 12:35 pm

Hi J, and welcome. We are a friendly bunch and most of us bathe regular.†Wink
We're not to certain about FG... He takes his frontier reality pretty seriously.† Very Happy

I once experienced what you described: a size 11 nipple suddenly seeming too tight†
for the size 11 caps. I discovered I had a slightly flattened nipple head. Switched that out and BANG!†
No more troubles. Try a new nipple? They are a cheap remedy.

Alternatively, check to see if your Remington caps fit well?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association†
Central Florida Muzzleloaders†
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5783
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 11th 2017, 12:42 pm

Do the RWS caps fit too tight or too loose? If they're too loose, just squeeze the cap between your finger fairly hard. It should then seat and be tight enough not to fall off. If they are too tight, switch nipples to one that fits your caps. Just be sure the thread of the nipple is 1/4x28 like the T/C threads.
(Wait for other replies on the thread size because I could be wrong on that.)

RWS are excellent caps and I wish I could find some around here.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JBaker

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 11th 2017, 8:45 pm

Thanks y'all, tried a new nipple, but need to get some different varieties I guess and try them. Any recommendations to a good company? Y'all have any favorites to deal with.

Appreciate the easy info for a BP noob.

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15124
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 11th 2017, 10:39 pm

Those RWS caps are most likely the 1075 which of course, it metric. #11 being slightly larger. The 1075 fit explains why they fit tighter. You can use the hammer of the rifle and gently push the cap down over the nipple, or put the nipple in a drill chuck and very carefully size it down with a file as the drill spins. Or as KC said, a worn nipple with a slightly bulged head from dry firing it.

www.muzzle-loaders.com
www.trackofthewolf.com
www.possibleshop.com

All great places to buy guns, parts and accessories from.

Welcome to the forum as well! Great to have you with us. When you need help, always ask!

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
JBaker

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 15th 2017, 7:15 am

Man I was thinking about the filing down deal and didn't think about turning it in my drill press????????????? quite genius of ya!

Thank you for the help.

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 15th 2017, 7:57 am

You'll also run into slight but important differences between nipple brands. If too big (as are Lyman nipples for CCI caps) you can turn them down. Remingtons fit the Lyman nipples without issue. Dunno about RWS cuzz I can't buy them here.

My brief is to keep several brands of nipples on hand in the right sizes for my guns. They're relatively cheap and I need spares anyway, so I just buy ahead and switch them out as needed, whether from poor cap fit or from eventual wear and tear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2086
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 16th 2017, 6:24 am

Good suggestions and RWS†is considered one of the better brands of caps.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
rowdyjoe

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 17th 2017, 3:35 pm

This is a very timely topic for me as I'm having trouble with CCI #11 caps.† They are either too small for my Spitfire Magnum nipple or too hard for my brand new CVA lock.† 90% of the time it takes 2 hits to get them to fire.† I'll try changing the nipple as I have a couple of new Traditions stainless on-hand.†

Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 17th 2017, 5:25 pm

Then go to as†suggested -†RWS†is considered one of the better brands of caps and one hell of a lot better than CCI.

We had so many customers crying about your problem, I put my daughter to work opening CCI tins and checking their size. I made up a sticky to be placed on the bottom of the tin in stating the size - #10 or #11 nipple size. The customer were pleased with knowing which size a box of CCI were.†We ended up with a bunch of number #10 caps and not that many pistol shooters.

Back to top Go down
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 17th 2017, 5:30 pm

Wow, amazing.† I had not heard anything about this problem.† Thanks.† No more CCI for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JBaker

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 21st 2017, 8:54 am

ordering some different brands. Went shooting the other day but was using just remington caps. The RWS would do the same as mentioned take two hits, first seated it the second fired it, frustrating to say the least. My plan is to try and find a fit through different manufacturers and then to sand a couple to make them fit.

J
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   August 21st 2017, 10:31 am

@JBaker wrote:
ordering some different brands. Went shooting the other day but was using just remington caps. The RWS would do the same as mentioned take two hits, first seated it the second fired it, frustrating to say the least. My plan is to try and find a fit through different manufacturers and then to sand a couple to make them fit.

J

Change the nipple. :tup2

Back to top Go down
csitas

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   September 14th 2017, 12:52 pm

A real slight chance but, you could have a soft spring on the hammer.The two wacks is what brings that to mind. Just compare with one of your buddies to feel the pull of the hammer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   September 15th 2017, 7:09 am

I have had the problem of caps being slightly too small for the nipple of one or two rifles. They go on, but do not slide all the way down. The first hammer strike seats them. The next strike fires them.

Taking the lazy man's route, I carry a piece of wooden ram rod I had cut off in making a new ram rod. I use that to push the cap down before firing. That little push solved all my cap size problems.

"We are a friendly bunch and most of us bathe regular." Speak for yourself, Colonel! Very Happy
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   October 10th 2017, 7:24 am

@RonC wrote:
"We are a friendly bunch and most of us bathe regular." Speak for yourself, Colonel! Very Happy
Ron

Ron he's now getting cleaned up while swimming in the ocean (poor fish and their friends have to deal with that) .... Tease†† Saw in the paper the turtles were having issues with the water in KC's area ??? headslap† swimming .... scratch

Back to top Go down
rowdyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   October 10th 2017, 12:37 pm

@rowdyjoe wrote:
Wow, amazing.† I had not heard anything about this problem.† Thanks.† No more CCI for me.

I have used up all of the first can of CCI caps and almost finished off the 2nd.† Most of the problem I was having went away when the first can was empty.† The 2nd has been pretty much trouble free but, I've had a few that needed a double strike.† I found that the fired caps will sometimes not fall free of the hammer nose and stick inside it.† This issue has caused failure to fire problems so, I make it a point to check after each shot.† Sometimes I have to pry them out with a pick and other times they fall out after a light tap with my hand.
Anyone else have this problem?† Any suggestions as to a fix?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello and nipple/cap question???   

Back to top Go down

Hello and nipple/cap question???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: