Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

I Went Hunting Today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

I Went Hunting Today Empty
PostSubject: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 16th 2017, 2:21 pm

I was hog hunting when I smelled strong boar hog musk and urine when I was in a tight thicket. I circled around downwind and this came bopping out. Rabbits are legal year-round in Fla. but they are seldom seen by me.

I Went Hunting Today Potts_11

Later I came upon a poached 6 ft. gator. It had been there quite awhile. The last part of his spine was missing and showed knife cuts in the bone where his tail was removed. That's the best eating on a gator.

I Went Hunting Today Poache10

I Went Hunting Today Poache11

I wish they were legal to kill year-round like the rabbits. I'll bet there are more gators in Fla. than rabbits. They need to be thinned drastically.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 16th 2017, 3:18 pm

What weapon were you hunting with?

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 16th 2017, 3:24 pm

I enjoy hunting and dining on eastern cottontails, but our season does not run year-round.
Pat', What did you use Shooter to bag the rabbit since you were hunting hogs Question
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 16th 2017, 3:32 pm

I used a shotgun with buckshot in the chamber followed by #6 shotshells. I was able to shuck out the buckshot and shoot the rabbit with the #6. He cooperated by pausing when he saw me.

I could have used my SxS CVA with a .690 ball in one barrel and #6 in the other but that wasn't what I had with me. That would have been ideal but I want to be able to reload fast when I'm fooling with hogs.  affraid

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 8:11 am

My 15 year old son ( he's 18 now) and I each got a wild boar in Florida a few
years back.

They taste like #hit! I've never shot another.

Now the stinkin' things are encroaching on Ohio farms where I live.

I'd shoot 'em just to get rid of them.

Coyotes are becoming a problem also.

Ohio has never had so many whitetail deer and I hunt those.

They are great eating.

Rabbits are, or were, thick but feral cats and 'yotes are hard on them.

When I see a cat on my place it's simply target practice.

I love cats but fixed and on the couch, not running loose.

Once I shot a cat that was obviously not walking right. Thought it had been hit by

a car or something. Bang! Flop! Went to get rid of the "evidence" and found it had

3 legs, one surgically removed. Now who would spend that kind of bucks on a cat

and let it run loose???

Dummy!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 8:27 am

"My 15 year old son ( he's 18 now) and I each got a wild boar in Florida a few
years back.
They taste like #hit! I've never shot another."

I've only killed one 65 lb. gilt that had fat on it. I had her made into Italian sausage. All the rest were scrawny and I gave those away or let them lay if they were a long way from the truck or boat.

Falcon shoots some fat hogs out in OK but I think those are more closely related to domestic hogs than the ones here.

Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 9:17 am

Italian sausage might be a good idea but wild pigs carry so many diseases that can
infect humans I'd not try it.

Grocery pork must be thoroughly cooked.

Pork fat on bullets will take out muzzie terrorists however.

Or so I'm told.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 2:23 pm

i hunt and trap a lot of wild hogs.  Most are killed at short range at feeders.   i also eat a bunch of wild hog meat.  i much prefer it over domestic pork. 

1.  Every complaint of bad tasting hog meat that i'm familiar with was rotten or contaminated hog meat.   Gave a friend a big fat sow that field dressed 212 pounds.   He took the animal to a  processor who kept it in his cooler for 17 days.   My friend complained about the bad tasting meat.   Told him to bring me some sausage.   Stuff smelled  bad while frying; it was rotten.   Yep, the processor allowed a hog to spoil in his cooler and then processed the animal.   The same guy allowed some elk to spoil and was almost lynched. 

2.  Hunters allow dirt on the outside of the hog to contaminate the meat.   The bladder is often ruptured while field dressing.  Hog poop, urine and liquid from the sex organs often contaminate the meat.   

3.  Folks drive around all day in the 95 F heat with bloated hogs in their trucks and then expect the meat to taste good. When the temperature is over 80 degrees F one has about four hours to get the meat cooled before it begins to go bad. 

4.  A skinny hog is not fit to eat. 

5.  Well cared for wild hog meat does not even look like domestic pork. 

6.  Its much better to skin the hog before gutting.   It is easier to keep the meat clean that way.  

7.  Always wear rubber gloves while handling/field dressing hogs.

Yep, wild hogs can carry disease, so do domestic hogs.   Wild hogs do not get shot up with antibiotics nor are they fed antibiotics.  They get no growth hormones either.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 3:17 pm

Good points for those wanting to do it correctly.  cowyboy hatoff

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 4:22 pm

"4.  A skinny hog is not fit to eat. "

Amen!

I don't kill a lot of hogs, only 2 or 3 a year. I killed a 90 lb. sow, gutted her (with gloves), and dragged her to a road. 2 guys with a handicapped tag stopped, helped me load it, and took my dog & I back to my truck.
I gave the hog to them. She was nursing and had no loin thickness to speak of. 
I saw the 2 guys several weeks later and they told me that once they skinned her she was only fit for sausage. 

Heck, all of them here are only fit for sausage, if that.

Here's her pic:

I Went Hunting Today Img_0010

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 4:57 pm

You live right, Bob. Thats a great dog you got there, too.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 18th 2017, 5:35 pm

Nyssa thanks you for the complement.

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 20th 2017, 4:35 pm

We like Hog Meat here but can no longer hunt them.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 20th 2017, 6:01 pm

The few we have shot in AZ, I'll pass ...... :tdown2

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 20th 2017, 6:29 pm

That's some tough country you have down there in Florida. I've poked around in some of it, and finding the hogs is only half of it. Then you have to get them out and cared for in a timely manner.

We had feral hogs and javelina when I was growing up in the Southwest. We hunted the javelina but only live trapped the ferals.  Big old live trap in the bottom of one of our silage pits, and the hogs would come through the spring-loaded gate one after the other. One morning we had 5 in there, but most times just 2 or 3. 

No worries about over-population 50-60 years ago, so we'd sort through them and only keep the one or two we wanted. Then we'd fatten them for a month before slaughter.  We'd always  light a fire next to the pen with a chain hoist overhead. Fill a 55 gallon drum half full of water, bring to a boil, then pop the porker and lower it into the drum to scald it.  Scrape it good, THEN gut it. Some of the finest eats I've ever enjoyed.

Never bothered to hunt feral pigs in the years since, even as I've had ops. Just didn't see any future in shooting them without all the facilities for immediate care and cleanliness.  I'm betting Falcon's pigs over feeders have benefited from what was coming out those feeders, and good for him.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 8:40 am

I have found down South of us there is way more Pine Trees which give a lot of animals a Bad taste.

Here when we could hunt Hogs they was mostly eating Grain, Acorns and stripped Bark off of Sprouts.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 10:25 am

The soil down here is mainly sand with few nutrients. The hogs don't eat pines or pine cones but they do eat tons of acorns. That means the deer have fewer to eat and results in fewer deer.

If farmers didn't use tons of fertilizer here, there would be no Florida agriculture.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 10:30 am

@oneshot 1 wrote:
I have found down South of us there is way more Pine Trees which give a lot of animals a Bad taste.

Here when we could hunt Hogs they was mostly eating Grain, Acorns and stripped Bark off of Sprouts.

oneshot

Same with the mule deer in Colorado, never shot them if in the mountain (gamey), only the ones that had been feeding on our hay fields.

Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 10:58 am

i've heard and observed sounders making their way from one feeder to the other in the evening.  

i stopped attracting and feeding wild hogs.   i'm currently running two deer feeders at our lease and one at our property in Garvin county.   Those feeders dispense 2-3 pounds each day and are meant as a  supplement for deer but the hogs and raccoons get most of it.   

Recently killed two hogs in an area where there are no feeders.  Both were fat.   We had a good amount of rain in this area and its easy for hogs to root.   

i've seen a few bumper years where acorns and pecans lay thick on the ground.    The sows had huge litters of pigs.  The hogs thrived at the expense of the deer.
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 11:11 am

@falcon wrote:
The hogs thrived at the expense of the deer.

That makes perfect sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 21st 2017, 12:19 pm

@falcon wrote:
Those feeders dispense 2-3 pounds each day and are meant as a  supplement for deer but the hogs and raccoons get most of it. 
We have had the same with Raccoons, Foxes and Opossums getting the deer feed.

Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 22nd 2017, 7:21 pm

Quote :

We have very few foxes in Oklahoma, too many coyotes.    At one place we had problems with dozens of turkeys dining at our feeders in the late afternoon.  But turkeys go to roost early.   So we set the  feeders to run later. 

One evening after sunset i saw two animals come to the feeder.  Couldn't see them well in the cheap scope so i used my binoculars.   They were porcupines, the first i ever saw.  i knew they were here because a friends horse came in with quills in its nose:  Porcupines here  are scarce and elusive.  Folks live here all their lives and never see one.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 23rd 2017, 6:09 am

@falcon wrote:
Porcupines here  are scarce and elusive.  Folks live here all their lives and never see one.
Porcupines are around but most that see them kill them on sight. They will "ring" a pine tree, then the tree dies, plus the live stock and dogs are always getting quills. There's a pretty good market for the quills with the crafts folks. Cool

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 23rd 2017, 5:34 pm

conner wrote:
@falcon wrote:
Those feeders dispense 2-3 pounds each day and are meant as a  supplement for deer but the hogs and raccoons get most of it. 

My friend, Jim, from back home got this at his place. Look sharp and you will see the bandit's eyes. 
He says they are pesky and frequent visitors. I may be hunting here this year.

I Went Hunting Today 3L4mKX

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: I Went Hunting Today   I Went Hunting Today EmptyAugust 24th 2017, 9:45 am

Their hides use to sell good at rendezvous for hats.

Back to top Go down

I Went Hunting Today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: