View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 866
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 20th 2017, 10:49 pm

I am not interested in the gambling. We will go to see our son, Jess, compete in the World Masters Brazilian Jujitsu Championships. 

He has worked so hard toward competing at this level, working his submission grappling training and weight training in with his regular job.

So far, Jess has won his weight class in the Grappler's Quest National Championships in Las Vegas a few years ago. Then he won the North American Grappling Association Championship in his class. Another title he took was the "Fight to Win" tournament in Denver. The Worlds would be a fine capstone to his amateur fighting career.

After the competition, we will see some shows with Jess and his wife while in Las Vegas. His wife's parents are going, as well as a few of his co-workers. 

This is Jess and I at the Grappler's Quest tournament in Las Vegas, 2008. At 62, I was deemed too old for the Masters class that started at 40. Jess won his class:

Jess is in the middle of the group after winning the North American Grappling Association title in his class. The black in his mouth is not his teeth, but his mouthguard:

And here he is showing his medal for the Fight to Win competition:

Getting psyched up before a bout:

Ron

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 21st 2017, 5:06 am

Wow! Proud stuff, Ron!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3327
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 21st 2017, 5:40 am

I can relate to your enjoyment of watching your son compete in the tournaments RonC.   Lots of discipline in the Martial Arts.   My son earned a Black Belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate.  Nobody ever picked on him in High School Laughing

Have a great time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 21st 2017, 6:04 am

Thanks, gentlemen!
I am more proud of the discipline, dedication and effort than of the titles.

Jess played ice hockey from the age of 6 through his first year at Univ. of Oregon. He didn't fit in the culture, there, of drinking and drug use by the hockey team players and left Oregon. He needed another athletic focus and started training in MMA. Eventually, he narrowed his interest down to the grappling component of MMA.

My wife always blamed me for this current interest. When he outgrew the hockey net in the living room (no furniture), I moved in a heavy bag and speed bag before she could install furniture. The indoor athletic field was saved! With the bags, hand pads and leg pads for boxing and kick boxing, and mat for wrestling, we had our own MMA ring for several years.

Alas, now that he is on his own, the room is filled with furniture. Sigh. Well, she always did want a "normal" living room. She even made me paint the walls and ceiling of the room to cover the hockey stick marks.
Ron

BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 21st 2017, 7:43 pm

Have a safe trip Ron and I hope for the best in the tournament. Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 21st 2017, 10:04 pm

Thank you, my friend!
Ron

RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 24th 2017, 5:06 pm

I am disappointed for Jesse to let you know that he didn't make it to the finals of the World Masters Brazilian Jujitsu Championships at the Convention Center in Las Vegas. He did his best but was submitted on an arm/wrist hold by another contestant. Jess was ready for this competition, although he was a bit anxious this morning.

It looked like  Jess was making a move to submit his opponent when the fellow just managed to grab Jesse in such a way that he had to submit (surrender) or suffer a dislocated shoulder.

He has absorbed this experience as a lesson and will be back to the World competition next year. Jess already is planning his training regime for the next competition. He hadn't competed for a few years, so he may enter some local tournaments during the year just to better adapt to the differences between training and competing. He is much more resilient than I am and rebounds quickly.

As an aside: I do not care much for Las Vegas. It is a big, ugly, over-the-top, parasite of a city. People seem to lose judgment and taste when they get here.

It probably isn’t good to judge people, but it is hard to resist when a 400 pound woman wears spandex and a transparent top. A 2 XL man wearing an XL t-shirt with his belly turning said shirt into an open midriff tube top seems to beg for judgment. Some men need to know that wearing a skull and cross bones, sleeveless t-shirt while bearing badass, full arm tattoos, does not make one a badass.

I would like to tell some middle-aged women that 4" of base and 3" inches of powder on their face makes them a good ski slope, not a beautiful person.

OK. Enough judgments for the day.

Jess moves in for a Jujitsu move:

And further into the move:

But, his opponent reversed the move and Jess had lost this match to a much taller person:

Jess left the facility quite disappointed but determined to come back even stronger.
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 24th 2017, 6:04 pm

Too bad about your son, Ron.

That judge/referee would look great in an XL Seahawks jersey.  :barf

I've never been to Las Vegas or So Cal. I hope I can keep that record intact until I die.  Laughing

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 24th 2017, 8:04 pm

He still looks like a winner to me. 

Vegas? I like to people watch there. There are some interesting shows. My wife liked the wax museum. 
And, the buildings are pretty amazing to walk through.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 25th 2017, 8:36 am

Colonel, people watching is, indeed, "interesting." Not everyone dresses or acts in a fashion that hints at lack of taste or propriety. However, my rhinestone encrusted speedos are the ultimate in style and fit right in with the minority of people that look outlandish. Shocked Laughing
The shows are great. We saw Jeff Dunham, the ventriloquist on Wednesday night. Fabulous! But what is Las Vegas without Liberace. 

I have done work at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas as well as at gold mines north of Vegas. When I do stay in Las Vegas for work, I see the city with very different eyes than when here for fun. I go home with a less than positive impression of the city. Nevada is the driest state in the nation, with LV getting 4" of rain a year (compare to Denver with 14" and Georgia with 50"). A major, growing city sits like an aberration on the landscape in this Great Basin desert. Las Vegas, with its political power, usurps the water from the ranchers around Nevada. There just isn't enough water to go around.
Ron (happily heading home shortly to my home, muzzle loaders and dogs)

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 25th 2017, 10:32 am

IMO big cities suck. I was born in Chicago and wanted to leave there soon after being exposed to Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, and Zoo Parade with Marlon Perkins.

I left there when I was 16 and it was the best thing I ever did.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1772
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 25th 2017, 10:38 am

You certainly deserve to be a very proud parent Ron!  Having a son that strives to be the very best in his field will be with him the rest of his life.  He will always strive to be the very best man he can be!  I think Jess might be a chip off the "old" block.   Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   August 26th 2017, 8:05 am

Thank you, Smokin' Joe!

Of course I am biased as a dad, but he has turned out to be a fine young man. He still calls me every day to ask if I am eating right and if I have exercised. That's the penalty I pay for having a son that used to be a strength coach. Very Happy But, I welcome those nags calls.
Ron

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off to Las Vegas in a few days   

Back to top Go down

Off to Las Vegas in a few days
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: