Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5186
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   August 25th 2017, 6:47 pm

Those who are NRA members and get the American Hunter magazine will find an interesting article this month. It's about large caliber handguns killing large animals. The large animals are various buffaloes, large bears, wild cattle, etc. 

According to their findings, slower-moving hard bullets with a flat meplat (front) punch straight through these animals and exit, leaving 2 holes, an entrance and an exit. Great for blood trails if these .40-.50 caliber don't drop the animal right there.

It seems to me that some of us primitive muzzleloaders have been doing this for quite a while. Think Maxi-Ball and Great Plains bullets. The experience I have had with my own cast Maxi-Balls on thin-skinned animals (deer and hogs) has been the quick demise of the target animal. I cast my own out of x-ray backing sheets that were not pure lead. They just punched right through and did the job. It seems these gun writers are late to the game.  scratch

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   August 25th 2017, 8:53 pm

i've used the  .452 330 grain hard cast bullets on hogs.   That bullet  has a big flat nose (meplat).  i shoot them at  1,700-1,800 fps.   Those bullets make a mess of the heart lung area.     After exiting the off shoulder of a >300 pound hog one bullet penetrated a 4" tree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5186
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   August 26th 2017, 6:18 am

The only deer I've killed with a black powder pistol was with a Ruger Old Army with my own cast .452 'flat-nose round bullets'. The mold was by Lee. The cast bullets were smaller in diameter than needed for the chambers of the Old Army so I placed the bullets in a vice (end to end) and squeezed them shorter and fatter. The ones that didn't look cylindrical were dumped back into the pot.
That bullet passed through both lungs and left a good blood trail. The deer went ~ 50 yds.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   September 2nd 2017, 11:34 am

Deer are really not that hard to kill.  Especially with a nice heart or lung shot like that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeager106

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   September 8th 2017, 8:31 am

According to their findings, slower-moving hard bullets with a flat meplat (front) punch straight through these animals and exit, leaving 2 holes, an entrance and an exit. Great for blood trails if these .40-.50 caliber don't drop the animal right there.

Old news. VERY OLD NEWS. At least to those of use that have known that for at
least 5 decades.

Thanks for posting it however as there might be a lost soul or two that didn't
know that.

70 Ohio white tail, 6 with archery, one of those in the top 50 harvests,
3 wild boar, ......................................taught defensive shooting, ........

yadda, yadda, yadda.

My favorite firearm for white tail deer?

ALL OF 'EM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14477
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   September 8th 2017, 8:36 am

Now days you need a $2 per bullet, copper jacket bullet with a scary looking pointy tip or cute scary looking hollow point in order to kill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using   

Back to top Go down

Bullets that are best are the ones we've been using
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: