View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   September 1st 2017, 10:19 pm

Just some pictures of when my brother first got it. The rear brake system was completely rebuilt as it wasn't that expensive to do, and brakes are important. Trying to figure out how to bleed the rear brakes now. A real headache due to the proportion valve. It looks like we have to uncap the unit and then push in on the valve while someone pumps the brakes and someone else opens the bleed valve. 3 man job!

77 CJ5, 258 I6, 3 speed, AMC 20 rear, Dana30 front diff. 36k original miles.

Good shot of the paint inside  the doors. She needs a lot of buffing to say the least, but it is cleaning up!

Dirty as hell from sitting in a barn, but we'll take care of that soon. My brother wants to pull the oil pan down and check/clean the rod oiler areas. Jeeps are known to start a small knock over time when the oil hole in the rods plug up a little and they squirt less oil onto the rod pins. Its a simple job, just a little time consuming but well worth it in the long run. Plus she'll get a  new one piece oil pan gasket and rear main seal while we are at it. No engine leaks on her anywhere!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   September 2nd 2017, 8:22 am

It's been a long time since I've seen under the hood and been able to see the engine, a carburetor (whoo-hoo!) and a distributor. That's the kind of rig you CAN work on. Unfortunately, Jeeps usually need lots of work since they were made out of left-over parts from other brands. AMC, Buick, etc.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   September 4th 2017, 11:58 am

Jonathan,

I would drain the oil, change filter, add 5 quarts of 10-30 and a quart of automatic transmission fluid. If there is an hour meter on the engine change oil at 100 hours. That should be less than 3,000 driven miles. You may be surprised how it cleans the engine internally.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   September 4th 2017, 12:25 pm

I'll be trying that next on the 460 in the truck. Damn lifters are starting that crap again on start up. Just have a few hundred miles on it and its doing it already. That engine hates heat.

We changed the oil in the jeep with 5w30 mobil one and a zinc additive after flushing the motor with a quart of diesel.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   October 8th 2017, 11:07 pm

My brother has done a lot of work so far. Rebuilt the entire brake system, new diff seals,fluids, shocks,brakes/hardware, master cylinder, new 15x7 rims and dirt commander 31x10.50 - 15 tires. The sucker looks beefy now! He just got the driver side wheel bearings replaced today, along with new locking hubs as the driver side was shot. He upgraded them and they really make a nice looking set up.

Hopefully I can get some pictures tomorrow. I suggested that with the color of the paint and the top, Black rims would give it a nice looking stance. The rims came with chrome center inserts to cover the axles, so that really set it off nicely, along with black chrome wheel nuts. The fronts will not use the chrome covers, but instead, will be set off with the new chrome locking hubs. She looks mean now! Not that wimpy, old white wheel tire look as shown above.

If you look at the red truck as well, the front tire is showing. Those are the same dirt commander brand tires my brother bought for the jeep. Very aggressive tire and tough sidewalls. A little over $500 for all 4, which is a steal IMO.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3327
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   October 9th 2017, 5:57 am

Did your brother have any problems obtaining parts for that Jeep given it's age Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   October 9th 2017, 6:11 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
I'll be trying that next on the 460 in the truck. Damn lifters are starting that crap again on start up. Just have a few hundred miles on it and its doing it already. That engine hates heat.

We changed the oil in the jeep with 5w30 mobil one and a zinc additive after flushing the motor with a quart of diesel.

When still building race motors (loose tolerances for higher RPM's) they would rattle on start up. Found with the 40w and 50w oils it took a few seconds to get oil everywhere after sitting for a while (a few days). Started installing block heaters and that cured the problem with oil being warmed and thinner had faster lube qualities.

In your case a heated oil may help with start up (never tried it on the 460 motors we had over the years or had problems with lifter noise). You may end up putting a set of replacement lifters in.

GRRW Collectors Association - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle, J&S Hawken, H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun - all .50 cal.
GRRW - Leman Indian Trade Rifle, Hawken Half Stock - various calibers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   October 9th 2017, 9:55 am

@Marty wrote:
Did your brother have any problems obtaining parts for that Jeep given it's age Question

not at all! Morris 4x4, ebay, and the local stores can get most of the common parts easily. 76+ is the more common years when they started to standardize parts on them.

Got a dusting of snow this morning. Boy is it cold!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 77 CJ5 Rebuild Project   

Back to top Go down

77 CJ5 Rebuild Project
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: