Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Hurricane Irma   September 4th 2017, 1:36 pm

Ever since I saw the beginnings of this storm last week when it was close to Africa, I had a feeling it was going to hit us. Now it looks like it's about an 80% chance that we get whacked.

I got both the generators out of the shed and got one running. I'll work on the other one tomorrow. The last time either has been run was in 2004 when we had 2 hurricanes hit us a month apart. 

I've got my chainsaw running and sharpened and we're filling up water jugs. All the stores have already sold out of water in most places. 

It shouldn't drown us like Harvey did to Houston but I hate the wind damage the most. We are surrounded by hundreds of oaks and big pines.

This was the star of a TV show that was on when I was a kid. The show was called "My Friend Irma" starring Marie Windsor as a ditzy dumb blonde.

I sure wish she'd show up instead of The hurricane.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 4th 2017, 2:01 pm

Yeah. Our winter home is over near Fort Myers, and my hands are starting to ache from crossing my fingers....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 4th 2017, 2:21 pm

good luck! Another thing to stock up on is oil and fuel of course. Some spare spark plugs as well.

For water, we always keep 5 gallon jugs full, along with a 55 gallon drum. We can only do this during the warmer months as spring nears as thats when we get hit hard with spring snow storms.

Not having running water is the worse thing to deal with, but if i can get it warm or just have something to clean up with i am usually happy.

Earlier this year I was putting buckets under the gutter spouts so the toilet could flush. Another huge priority lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 4th 2017, 4:09 pm

We stay emergency stocked and just top off when hurricanes start threatening. 
Matthew blustered by last October so we are in good shape. There is too much going 
on in the world right now to not have some kind of reserve. "Be prepared" is a good 
motto at any time.

But, I felt something in my craw yesterday.

I bought more reserve potable water yesterday. No one else was buying, then. Today, the wife says the shelves are blasted. I laid in extra fuel and replaced batteries that were used over the year, too. My propane stove/barbecue died and I will need to replace that if it gets serious. But, we are stocked with tanks. I need to clear my wood projects and mess in the garage so we can bring in the vehicles.

Lordy, I hope I am wrong. I don't want to put the plywood up over the windows again and deal with that mess. Prayers for everybody. Send that thing into the North Atlantic, please, God!

Helpful hint: If there is no bread in the store during an emergency? Walk over to the tortillas, pitas, and naan. Those breads are just as serviceable and will keep longer, too.

Florida is rarely dull for long.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 4th 2017, 6:02 pm

Florida has declared a State of Emergency. Irma is CAT 4 now. It is expected to hit Saturday. 
It could still turn north. Pray hard.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 866
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 7:49 am

It has intensified to Category 5!
My brother lives on St. Croix, in the American Virgin Islands, about 90 miles from Puerto Rico. There is no place to escape to on an island like that.
His house foundation and walls are reinforced concrete and he has weathered several hurricanes.
In one case, the wind was so high that it drove a continuous spray into the house through a slight crack in the concrete!
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 10:52 am

Maybe that's why they have so many churches on St. Croix. I never saw any place with more than there. After bouncing twice trying to land there while heading straight for the terminal building, we needed a church .. and clean underwear.

My wife and I really enjoyed our 8 days there. People are friendly but I never got into "liming" like the locals do. 
We stayed on a small island right next to Christiansted. Our room was right across from the fort.

I'd hate to be there tomorrow.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I saw the 6:00 news. Irma is now at 185 mph and it's about a 97% chance that it will hit Florida. One track brings the eye through my front yard.  :Hide

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 6:29 pm

Colonel you and Bob button down tight down there, we will be praying that turns north. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 6:45 pm

@patocazador wrote:
Maybe that's why they have so many churches on St. Croix. I never saw any place with more than there. After bouncing twice trying to land there while heading straight for the terminal building, we needed a church .. and clean underwear.

My wife and I really enjoyed our 8 days there. People are friendly but I never got into "liming" like the locals do. 
We stayed on a small island right next to Christiansted. Our room was right across from the fort.

I'd hate to be there tomorrow.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I saw the 6:00 news. Irma is now at 185 mph and it's about a 97% chance that it will hit Florida. One track brings the eye through my front yard.  :Hide

St. Croix lacks facilities for the big cruise ships, is not as tourist oriented, and retains much of its Island character. Regardless, they suffer from the hurricanes that hit the Caribbean Islands the same as the other islands.
Ron

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 7:38 pm

@Huntin_Dawg1215 wrote:
Colonel you and Bob button down tight down there, we will be praying that turns north. Good luck.

Much appreciated, Dawg. Much appreciated. 

The National Weather Service reported the storm had sustained winds of 220 miles an hour as 
of today. They say that means Irma now ranks among the most powerful hurricanes ever recorded as 
measured by wind speed. It IS the most powerful recorded that stayed in the Atlantic. 
I shudder for those islands. 

If it holds at us straight and the prayers don't take, the plywood goes up Thursday, we RUN for the 
hills Friday, and it hits Saturday morning. I've been up close and personal with these things. Not fun. 

I have a poem:

"If its a 3, we'll stay and see. 
A 4 or 5, its time to drive." 

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 9:26 pm

Please keep us updated on you and your family's safety and well-being.

Stay safe!
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 5th 2017, 10:27 pm

I got my other generator working today. New fuel line, in-line filter, cleaned set-up gunk from the fuel pick-up in the tank, fuel treatment, non-ethanol gas, and a shot of ether and Voila! It ran rough for about 10 minutes and then straightened out.

I had my wood on the house replaced with stucco about 6 years ago and now have no way to attach plywood because there's nothing to screw to. The barn is made of Hardi-board which is cement siding so not much I can do there either. 
I did it all for termite protection not thinking about hurricanes.  crazy

I was looking for a window AC that the generators could run at night. I found about 4 that would work. None in stock at Home Depot but I can have one delivered by the 13th. We might have the power back on by then and I won't need it.

Just saw the late news .. there's another storm right on Irma's heels, tropical storm Jose. It looks like the flood gates are open now. Reminds me of '04 when we had Charlie, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne all hit Florida in a 9 week period.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 6th 2017, 5:36 am

Looks like the hurricane is turning north a bit. I hope it just turns back out to sea.
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 6th 2017, 6:30 am

@RonC wrote:
Looks like the hurricane is turning north a bit. I hope it just turns back out to sea.
Ron

Not half as much as I do. 

My son and daughter both live near Tallahassee and were 8 days without power from a tropical storm a year or two ago. They have their bags packed and vehicles gassed up waiting to see what "My Friend Irma" does.
The worst case scenario is for it to go right along the west coast of Florida. That would keep the eye over warm water and blast the whole width of the state with heavy winds and rain on the east where most of the damage takes place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 6th 2017, 3:47 pm

Pray harder, guys! It seems you might be slacking! Laughing

I am resting at the moment. I've been busy after work removing flags, ornaments, bird feeders, 
outdoor lights, bird baths, outdoor furniture, wind chimes, barbecue, trash cans, yard signs, hanging baskets, yada-yada-yada. I had to climb up to get the fake owl down. Basically, I am removing anything that might become a missile in the high winds. I know a woman who was knocked unconscious by a flying grapefruit during Charlie in '04. 

I agree with Bob. I, too, am having '04 flashbacks. But Charlie was a CAT 3 not a CAT 5. None of the '04s were this bad. And, they were bad.

I board up tomorrow. I might have an extra hand so I went to grab another drill at 
Home Depot today so I don't need to switch out bits all the time. 

I wanted a 1/2" key lock, non-battery drill. There was only one drill left on the shelves that used a 
key IN THE ENTIRE STORE. It was a 2-speed hammer drill in 3/4" made by Makita. That was 
more umph! than I wanted, but the price was reasonable and I trust the brand. I got the 
last in the store.

I'd feel guilty, but I went by the screws you would need to board up. The whole area was blasted. 
So, a drill would not do anybody any more good than us. 

Early reports from the islands have made believers of the native Floridians and scared the bejesus out of the non-natives. Key West is being evacuated. The traffic has grown thick and crazed. The gas stations that still have gas have become conflict zones. There is panic buying going on from people who are not really thinking their needs through. I find myself annoyed while dodging people doing 'emergency shopping' while recounting their every move in the store to others on a cell phone. They are so distracted, they are totally unaware that they are blocking the aisles for people with urgent purpose. I saw ZERO bottled water that was not in a 7-11 or a half empty vending machine. Batteries in Home Depot were nearly GONE. And there had been two pallets worth. The grocery lot was full... I mean day before Thanksgiving+ full. I did not even go in.

But, as panic goes, this one is purposeful and productive.

If Irma makes good on her threat to visit the House of Mouse, it could be bad. If that looks like it will happen at a CAT 4, my wife and I will likely have evacuated as we would be right in its path. A little extra prayer might be needed if that happens. I'll try to keep you posted.

Oh, and playing with my powder horn carving is very comforting and relaxing during all this. Who knew?

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 6th 2017, 4:23 pm

The 5:00 models show it wiping out Key Largo, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Stuart, Fort Pierce, Melbourne and Cocoa. Then it moves offshore until it lands again at Charleston, SC. That path may affect Hilljack too.

This could make Camille, Andrew, Wilma, Katrina, and Harvey's damage look like child's play.
Those areas are the most densely-populated areas in the state. Hurricane-force winds extend out over 50 miles from the center so Mickey and the colonel would get hit with heavy winds too. I don't care a flip about Disney World but I'd hate to see the devastation to the residents .. even the colonel.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 6th 2017, 8:45 pm

Im hoping it will turn another direction and not hit you guys. I hate to see all the destruction of peoples homes and lives. Saying prayers for all in Florida.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 8th 2017, 8:06 pm

Good luck guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1772
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 9th 2017, 6:31 am

Take care and be as safe as you can!!  Good luck guys!!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 9th 2017, 8:44 am

Current models seem to agree on a direct hit for us when it comes ashore at Fort Meyers.

Glad to be home in AK right now, but I was not planning to spend the winter cleaning up and negotiating with insurance pukes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 10th 2017, 8:43 am

We are currently safe. Irma projections seem to be reducing direct impact on us. 
We have been very busy and we are as prepared as we can be. We continue to watch carefully. 
Spawned tornado activity is my big concern at the moment.

A major issue is keeping me out of the hurricane snacks! I have been losing weight and this is tempting!  Laughing

I just saw that Manatee County has issued a 3 PM Curfew. I think that is near Hliljack. 
I can't remember how close to water he is. Storm surge is very much a problem. 
I imagine Bob and his family have their hands full.

All in all, I'd rather be in Utah helping set up for the GRRW Rendezvous.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 10th 2017, 12:15 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:

I just saw that Manatee County has issued a 3 PM Curfew. I think that is near Hliljack. 
I can't remember how close to water he is. Storm surge is very much a problem. 
I imagine Bob and his family have their hands full.

I'm just sitting here watching Atlanta play 'da Bears'. Just real dark out @ 2pm.
We did all we can do yesterday and now it's just "chill" time. The bad stuff will start to hit about sunset with the worst coming @ 2am.

My kids are in Tallahassee and they will get hit hard if the current track holds up. My daughter lives only 5 miles from the coast where the storm is supposed to come ashore. She is evacuating to Tallahassee although that is only 20 miles farther inland.

The aggravating thing about this storm is the constantly-changing forecast path. If I had to evacuate now, I'd go to Jacksonville which was predicted to take a hard hit just 3 days ago. ear bug

Oh well .. Dunno

Hilljack is about as far away from the coast as I am only farther south so he's probably getting hit right about now. pale

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 11th 2017, 6:03 am

@RonC wrote:
In one case, the wind was so high that it drove a continuous spray into the house through a slight crack in the concrete!
Ron
I have three cousins in the Miami area, one has 3-4 small malls with doctor offices rentals, another has a commercial painting firm while the other is retired. They all range in ages of 70 to 80, wonder how this is working out for them. Like now just how much could an older person do to just survive? I'm sure they have all the emerg. supplies but flooding and fires change the whole idea/story of survival.

We always have our (4) 240 gallon containers filled plus a 50 gallon hot water heater and bottled water. Lots to drink and a six month supply of 24 year shelf life edibles so with all the other survival stuff and (3) 12 gauge pump guns we are ready for now. After several experiences with bad weather, looters you become over protective I guess.

GRRW Collectors Association - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle, J&S Hawken, H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun - all .50 cal.
GRRW - Leman Indian Trade Rifle, Hawken Half Stock - various calibers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 11th 2017, 9:53 am

Waiting for things to settle... 
Passing the time...
Enjoying the rain...
Keeping my hands busy.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   September 11th 2017, 9:58 am

@BrownBear wrote:
Current models seem to agree on a direct hit for us when it comes ashore at Fort Meyers.

Glad to be home in AK right now, but I was not planning to spend the winter cleaning up and negotiating with insurance pukes.

It turned inland at Naples about 20 miles south of our place.  Talk about luck!  Virtually no structural damages in our small community and no serious flooding. Mostly it was "horticultural" damage and loss of power.  They even have the roads open again.

Dodged a big, big bullet!

Whooeeee......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-