Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/11/2017, 10:03 am

BrownBear wrote:
BrownBear wrote:
Current models seem to agree on a direct hit for us when it comes ashore at Fort Meyers.

Glad to be home in AK right now, but I was not planning to spend the winter cleaning up and negotiating with insurance pukes.

It turned inland at Naples about 20 miles south of our place.  Talk about luck!  Virtually no structural damages in our small community and no serious flooding. Mostly it was "horticultural" damage and loss of power.  They even have the roads open again.

Dodged a big, big bullet!

Whooeeee......

cheers cheers cheers

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/11/2017, 6:47 pm

Glad to hear you guys made through. We are getting our small amount of here now, the wind is gusting and rain a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/11/2017, 8:55 pm

If it wasn't for Colorado blowing and Idaho sucking we wouldn't have any weather issues. No  Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/11/2017, 9:22 pm

Huntin_Dawg1215 wrote:
Glad to hear you guys made through. We are getting our small amount of here now, the wind is gusting and rain a little.

Still waiting on final word from Bob and I'd like to hear from Hilljack...

Irma now downgraded to 'Tropical Depression.' Atlanta got its first rated 'Tropical Storm.' 
The following pics are from the panic in North Georgia where there was a run on gas, bread, potatoes, and water. 
Gas cans and generators were none to be found, either. (Brother-in-Law)

Water aisle...

Bread aisle...

These were from a mega-Kroger in Cartersville, GA which is dang near to reaching Chattanooga, Tennessee.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1728
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/12/2017, 6:27 am

I'm sure Bob and Hilljack have their hands full right now.   Hoping they were spared the worst.

Semper Fi……..

Cabelas Investarms  Hawken .58 cal. Flintlock
Isaac Haines .50 cal. Flintlock
Pennsylvania Fowler 20ga. (.62 cal.)  Flintlock
CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5186
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/13/2017, 12:03 pm

We got a direct hit. The eye passed rght over us. No power or phone. It took the tops of the trees but didn't get the house. Hard to get gas for the generators.

I'm using a tablet at the library. It will be another week before power is back. However, bow season opens Saturtday and I am going.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/13/2017, 12:07 pm

Now that's determination. Glad you are not hurt!

Semper Fi……..

CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/13/2017, 3:04 pm

Good for you Bob.  :rtup

Had a similar experience with water when the Big Thompson Flood 35 years ago coming out of Estes Park.  We were set to bear hunt and got hit with a 40 foot wall of water coming down canyon. National Guard was ever where which we figured would screw up our planned hunt.

Opening day we are ready to leave the house at 4AM (waiting for one more guy to show up). He pulls in and says "don't get in a hurry, there's several bears in your lower pasture". We wait for daylight and took care of that issue. Filled the other two licenses the next day, same spot, same time.

That flood destroyed 50 homes and kill a 165 folks in camp grounds, but the hunting was good with bears going through the brush files. Sad but true.....

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/14/2017, 9:37 am

From what I hear, Irma went rght thru Hilljack as a cat. 3 or 4. I only got 90-100 mph winds. He got it worse I'm sure.

I hung a stand today and had to wear hip boots to get to a dry spot with acorns. Not much sign though so prospects aren't great. With no power I don't know if the deer would spoil if I get one.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/14/2017, 10:24 am

Bob, regardless of what process you have the venison processed you'll still need to keep it cold or frozen.  You could take a fawn.  They're excellent table fare, small amount of meat so you pass it out to friends and get it consumed quickly.  :>)

Semper Fi……..

CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/14/2017, 11:29 am

patocazador wrote:
From what I hear, Irma went rght thru Hilljack as a cat. 3 or 4. I only got 90-100 mph winds. He got it worse I'm sure.

I hung a stand today and had to wear hip boots to get to a dry spot with acorns. Not much sign though so prospects aren't great. With no power I don't know if the deer would spoil if I get one.

We didn't get electric until 1955, my parents would fry all meat (cut like thick steaks, no roasts). Once fried the cooked meat was placed in glass rectangular cake pans using a layer of rendered lard. You want to put a thin coat of lard in the pan and on the sides then lay your first row of meat on the lard (make sure the meat is not touching the sides or bottom. Pour lard over the layer then place more meat and so on. Don't let the meat touch the sides or bottom of your pan and final layer of lard on top (this seals your meat so its incased in lard keeping out the bacteria). My parents and grand parents would keep pans of meat in their root cellar for six months or until they butchered another cow.

When you need meat get what is needed (make sure the meat stored is kept covered in lard, scrape off the extra lard - leave it in the pan). Then just heat up your meat in a frying pan (the lard will act as the grease needed so the meat doesn't stick).  An easy way to work around no electricity.

Doing primitive living, trekking and so on we have used this method of carrying meat without cooling as long as 42 days without any issues. Even used the meat left over for a month after with not a problem.

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/14/2017, 3:00 pm

That is a lot of glass, lard, and a lot of frying...

You guys carried all this glass in those canoes? 
And, how do you KNOW they are not touching the sides?

PS. I will try a call to Hilljack if I don't hear anything soon. 
Glad you are OK, Bob. Happy B Bear still has a place to flee the snow. 
(We are still wrangling debris... We have power- most don't.)

Central Florida Pistol & Rifle Club is closed until further notice. 
Volunteers fixed the range, but they lost power again and the sump pumps 
can't work. Apparently there is some flooding of some of the shooting berths 
because of it. Our monthly match is scheduled for Sunday. IDK if that will happen, yet.

PS. "I officially cancelled the Central Florida Muzzleloader match this month. There is no power at the range and most of the range is under water.
 Please pass this on to anyone you know who may have been planning on shooting Sunday. 
Ben"

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/14/2017, 7:58 pm

Kentucky Colonel wrote:
That is a lot of glass, lard, and a lot of frying... this is what we did for home use (glass).

You guys carried all this glass in those canoes? No, I had tin containers made (historically correct) design by Goose Bay Workshops for period use.

And, how do you KNOW they are not touching the sides? We keep a 1/2 in distance between container walls with the lard and the fried meat, 

I still use this method of keeping our meat for three to five day camps when in period or modern camps/hunting - buffalo steaks always taste better than most game meats. We do not use anything like generators that make noise that may spook the game.

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/16/2017, 11:40 am

I went hunting this morning. Water over the top of my hip boots getting from the boat to dry land. No deer, no hog, no turkey. Also no other hunters.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/16/2017, 11:54 am

patocazador wrote:
I went hunting this morning. Water over the top of my hip boots getting from the boat to dry land. No deer, no hog, no turkey. Also no other hunters.  Very Happy
"Also no other hunters" that can be good (no one spooking game) and bad (game not moving)? cheers

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/17/2017, 6:11 pm

conner wrote:
patocazador wrote:
"Also no other hunters" that can be good (no one spooking game) and bad (game not moving)?

Hunting public land is very trying even without other hunters. It is so thick that you can't see game unless they get within 25 yds. and then only in spots where there is a "lane" of sorts. Other hunters in the general area actually can help you by pushing game as they enter and exit their stands.

Also, there are not the numbers of deer that other states have because all the land that is best suited for deer has transplanted Yankees living on it. The population in my county has gone from 12,000 to 120,000 since 1970 .. a ten times increase. Developers and Disney are the main culprits.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PS: I am typing this from my home computer. We now have electricity. cheers  We were without it since last Sunday.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/18/2017, 5:49 am

patocazador wrote:
Quote :
Also, there are not the numbers of deer that other states have because all the land that is best suited for deer has transplanted Yankees living on it. The population in my county has gone from 12,000 to 120,000 since 1970 .. a ten times increase. Developers and Disney are the main culprits.
The northern and western states are having the same issues with the damn rebels moving in.  lol!

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/18/2017, 6:11 am

Not in Minnesota....Winters are too long, summers too many mosquitoes!   Very Happy

Semper Fi……..

CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/18/2017, 12:01 pm

Is Hilljack the only one we have not heard from since Irma?

Every summer southern Ca "Slicks" come here on vacation, like the area, buy house, sell Ca place, and move, all happy. After a cold winter, no shopping malls, 175 miles to Walmart, no work to be found, they yearn for warm Ca and a for sale sign is up.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/18/2017, 2:09 pm

John Neslen wrote:
Is Hilljack the only one we have not heard from since Irma?

Every summer southern Ca "Slicks" come here on vacation, like the area, buy house, sell Ca place, and move, all happy. After a cold winter, no shopping malls, 175 miles to Walmart, no work to be found, they yearn for warm Ca and a for sale sign is up.

John

Funny you should ask... Yes. He was the only one left that I am aware of.

I called him earlier today. He's FINE. As he tells it, the hurricane bumped west, passed his house, and then bumped back east. He got 90 mile an hour winds and had a 1/2 acre of trees downed that he is cleaning up. He only lost power for 90 minutes? Something ridiculously short- especially for where he is. He's just been busy building rifles! Laughing One of them is a cool Mule Ear.

All four BP shooters on the forum (who speak up) with holdings in Florida escaped serious issues. I now have a theory. 
Black Powder is a hurricane deterrent. Holy Black, indeed. :shh

And, thank God. We truly were fortunate. A lot of folks are not. I still have co-workers without power 
and other issues. We are just cleaning up debris, trying to figure out where that tree came from, and where 
that other tree went.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   9/18/2017, 7:40 pm

"Black Powder is a hurricane deterrent. Holy Black, indeed. "

I sure hope it works if Maria comes calling. It's a cat.4 working on a 5 as of 7:00pm. Hitting Dominica now and heading for St. Croix and Puerto Rico.

Women are trouble: Camille, Carmen, Opal, Frances, Jeanne, Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Sandy, Irma, and maybe Maria. These are just the ones that I've been introduced to and wish I wasn't.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irma   

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: