Share | 

Newby from Indiana and need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ART

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-09-03

PostSubject: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 7:59 am

Hello from new old guy in Indiana, am a hunter and may be getting into reenactment, hunt deer and turkey, anyhows I have gotten deer with every firearm I own and never with a flintlock rifle so I bought a Pedersoli 50 cal 1-48 twist Penn rifle w/set trigger.Reading the forum and other sources I believe somewhere I saw a post that indicated fffg (3f) at 70 grs. w/.490 round ball patched???, can anyone confirm this for me? I have 3 lbs goex 3f and  the loadchart of same sez 2f if you want any speed? further I have ordered Frontier lubes and would like to know if "shootout lube" is the starting lube, never shot this rifle. Have French amber flints. Need to sight in b-4 gun season, Oct. 1st opens with bow season in which I will partake.great website--thanks for any advice offered--Art
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 11:01 am

Welcome to the forum  ART.   i don't do flint locks but someone who does will be along soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 11:22 am

thank you falcon, read further and I am guilty of posting some of that post in the wrong area--

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1777
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 12:41 pm

Hello Art,  I personally use 2F powder for my load and 4F for the pan charge.  3F Goex powder is ground finer than 2F Goex and consequently more explosive.  Comparing 3F loads to 2F loads you should use about 15% LESS of 3F.  A lot of shooters use 3F for both the load and charging the pan so they don't have to carry two different powders.

Your 70 grains of 3F would be plenty hot but you might want to play with some different load sizes to see what your Pedersoli 50 cal likes best for accuracy.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 2:37 pm

thank you Joe, I think I might pickup 1 lb of Goex 2f since I get see their load and speeds etc, will only use it for deer hunting (70 grns =1540 fps, 15% less=apprx.60 grns, fps?, don't care as much for speed as much of knockdown energy--also don't have 4f for pan, how about 3f (finer than 3, less fine than 4). Have not shot a flintlock since 1975 and to this day I don't know how I survived. I read somewhere on this forum that 4f in the pan has a tendency to "spill" out  of hole and pan?? Your thoughts please.

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 7th 2017, 3:06 pm

3F will work in the pan just fine, besides you have that on hand. As far as 4F spilling out, that's something  you would will have monkey around with to see how well fit your lock is and your how tight the frizzen fits over the pan.  I'm no expert but I would bet a lot more flintlock shooters use 4F in the pan than 3F.  Regarding the powder loads, experiment a little.  70gr might be the magic.  I use 2F, 80gr in a 54 and 90gr. in my .58cal.  You'll read on the various forums how some members load up their ML to the max trying to replicate a high powered center fire rifle. 

Shoot at some 2x4 or 4x4 lumber and you'll see that round ball has plenty of energy.

Enjoy!  Oh by the way, we would like to see pictures of your harvest!!!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 8th 2017, 11:47 am

Welcome ART.   Great to see another connoisseur of slow projectiles Smile.
Good luck in archery season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 8th 2017, 1:18 pm

thank you Joe, will try to shoot tomorrow using 3f---thanks to all, will post pictures of my rifle etc as well as any harvest w/same--best to all--Art

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1603
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 10:58 am

@ART wrote:
Hello from new old guy in Indiana, am a hunter and may be getting into reenactment, hunt deer and turkey, anyhows I have gotten deer with every firearm I own and never with a flintlock rifle so I bought a Pedersoli 50 cal 1-48 twist Penn rifle w/set trigger.Reading the forum and other sources I believe somewhere I saw a post that indicated fffg (3f) at 70 grs. w/.490 round ball patched???, can anyone confirm this for me? I have 3 lbs goex 3f and  the loadchart of same sez 2f if you want any speed? further I have ordered Frontier lubes and would like to know if "shootout lube" is the starting lube, never shot this rifle. Have French amber flints. Need to sight in b-4 gun season, Oct. 1st opens with bow season in which I will partake.great website--thanks for any advice offered--Art

Good morning Art and Welcome,

I have been shooting flintlocks for years, .50 caliber is my favorite, having owned over a dozen in this caliber I found each depending on twist and barrel length all liked different loads. Now only having these rifles in .50 cal. built by GRRW Collectors Association riflesmiths: J&S Hawken rifle, H.E. Leman Trade rifle and a H.E. Leman North West gun, all in .50 caliber - each in a different barrel length with different twists to smooth bore. Now having a Trapper Pistol built in the same caliber. So needless to say I like the caliber as does Jon.

I prefer Goex 3FFF over 2FF and your idea of .490 and 70 grains is a good starting point to see what your rifle will settle in on.

I have always tried to go as light as possible with my equipage; making a tool carried do several functions. That said the idea goes with the number of horns carried, so the vent holes have been opened up allowing me to use the charge powder (3FFF) as a priming powder too. When still shooting game at close yards (buffalo and elk) you may need a fast second shot. With two horns it can be an issue (something to think about).

You'll like the testing and easy to use products that Jon has developed with his product line Frontier's different wares.

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 11:01 am

@ART wrote:
"there are three kinds of people; those that can count and those that cant"
You made my day with your message, love that one Art, thank you. lol!

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 12:37 pm

thank you Connor,  by vent hole I assume you mean At the pan area which has a threaded " always called 'em touch hole". I will test 70 grns w/ pan powder being same 3f. shooting Fri- Sat at friends farm about 50 miles up the road, overnighter's at daughters. Have not received patch lube yet and may have to use traditions pre-lubed 50 cal patches, was hoping to have Frontiers "shoot in lube"--saw a post with Go Jo hand cleaner used???also a castor oil/denatured alcohol mix as well as one called 911. Anyway needless to say I am anxious to shoot my rifle--thanks again--Art

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 1:05 pm

One of the forum members, Sharpsman, uses Canola cooking oil for patch lube. You can read his post in the Traditional Muzzleloading section. His post starts "Mason jars".  Something like that would work just fine until your order comes in.

Semper Fi……..

Last edited by Smokin' Joe on September 12th 2017, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 1:55 pm

@ART wrote:
thank you Connor,  by vent hole I assume you mean At the pan area which has a threaded " always called 'em touch hole". I will test 70 grns w/ pan powder being same 3f. shooting Fri- Sat at friends farm about 50 miles up the road, overnighter's at daughters. Have not received patch lube yet and may have to use traditions pre-lubed 50 cal patches, was hoping to have Frontiers "shoot in lube"--saw a post with Go Jo hand cleaner used???also a castor oil/denatured alcohol mix as well as one called 911. Anyway needless to say I am anxious to shoot my rifle--thanks again--Art

Yes, the vent hole is where you have a threaded "em touch hole". Over the years these guys will tell you from personal experience that this hole may need to be enlarged just a small amount to help with ignition problems (slow condition). If needed go slow with enlarging (one drill size at a time).

On originals I have seen these holes so big you could see the powder resting inside the barrel, the holes were burned out from lots of use. I had an original Brown Bess that you could turn the rifle on its side with the pan down and with your hand pound on the barrel and see powder laying on your feet.  affraid

Frontier's owner Jon is hunting for elk at this time, he'll check to be sure your purchases have been sent.

Use Sharpsman's idea of Canola cooking oil for patch lube, sounds like something you probably have.

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 12th 2017, 6:35 pm

thanks for all the feedback guys, don't have canola cooking oil but by 9am 'morrow I will have--will do until Frontier stuff gets here--by the way how do you respond on this site to a friend's request???

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 14th 2017, 5:47 am

Art, if I understand you right, you could just go to one of the categories that your friend's question pertains to and open up a new topic.  Of course, if your friend enjoys muzzleloading have him or her sign up and join the forum.   Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 14th 2017, 11:08 am

@ART wrote:
by the way how do you respond on this site to a friend's request???

Are you wanting to send a friend a PM (private Message)? Or add a friend to your "friend list"?  Question

Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   September 14th 2017, 11:09 am

conner wrote:
@ART wrote:
by the way how do you respond on this site to a friend's request???

Are you wanting to send a friend a PM (private message)? Or add a friend to your "friend list"?  Question

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indiana and need advice   

Back to top Go down

Newby from Indiana and need advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: