Share | 

trying different bullets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
redear

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: trying different bullets   September 11th 2017, 9:31 pm

yesterday I went shooting to search for the most accurate hunting bullet out of my cva wolf stainless. tried Lehigh .452x265cf and barnes t-ez 250 and both did around 2" at 75 yards with 85 gr. of 209. they were beaten by the hornady xtp 300 gr. .452 bullet, which cut bullet holes. next time I will try the power belt aerolite 250. I do have some 247 gr. thor around here but can't remember where I put them, lol. also bought a bog pod cld-2 shooting sticks for hunting this year. It seems my gun likes heavier bullets in the 300 gr. range last year I hunted with the lowly power belt 295 HP with 2 triple 7 pellets and that bullet also cut bullet holes on target at 75 yards, and took a deer at 162yds. haven't tried the power belts with the 209 however, still need to try that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1728
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   September 12th 2017, 6:19 am

If you are "cutting bullet holes" now I'm not sure how much better you want unless you're trying to achieve single one hole targets like all the rest of the forum members shoot (except me, of course)   Very Happy

It sounds to me like you've got your Wolf dialed in great!

Semper Fi……..

Cabelas Investarms  Hawken .58 cal. Flintlock
Isaac Haines .50 cal. Flintlock
Pennsylvania Fowler 20ga. (.62 cal.)  Flintlock
CVA Accura MR .50 cal.
T/C Encore .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csitas

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   September 12th 2017, 3:18 pm

Hey Smokin, you don't have to feel so lonesome . I can't say I have achieved that hole cutin ability either.I'm also not a dreamer and will settle for a "killin  group".I'm not into the fancy big money bullets. I shoot lead and lots of it.Make my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   September 12th 2017, 7:50 pm

thanks guys, I guess I was hoping for the Lehigh or barnes to be the best group so I could use them, but it was the xtp 300 gr. that showed promise. I had the wolf dialed in last year with the triple 7 pellets and 295 power belts but since I'm changing over to blackhorn now I need to go through these bullets again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   September 16th 2017, 9:13 pm

went out again today to try the aerolite 250 powerbelts and also some 247 gr. thor hollow points, also shot a few xtp300 gr. .452's  I always seem to get two shots together and a third one out by a couple inches at 75 yds. my rest wasn't all that great to be fair and I had tried to clean the western powders breech plug flash channel with the cva 2 piece kit and had trouble with that. I think the cva kit is not sized for the western powders plug. and the tiny drill bit that cleans the flash hole pushed back up into its little tube rendering it useless, I can't get it out either. I may try cleaning the barrel between shots next time to see if this gun gets more consistent that way. shooting 85 grains 209 by volume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   September 16th 2017, 9:16 pm

I know I was shooting too many rounds too close together also causing the barrel to get warm. well when it's late in the day you don't have a lot of time to shoot, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying different bullets   

Back to top Go down

trying different bullets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles-
Jump to: